Verbal Communications Differences and Difficulties Sticky

Page 28 of 32 [ 510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:44 pm

I mean....Neil's not perfect. He has his days of discontent. But don't we all?

He's a good man, and I think he'll be more content as he gets older, and realizes that people must play the "Neil" role, in a sense.

He harms no one. In fact, he does lots of good.

We need our eccentrics, just like we need our hip people,

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 8:50 pm

It's great being hearing impaired and autistic.

Lady in the bakery: Howwannachappie?
Me: (long pause) Hello.
Her: (confused) I asked how your pie was.
Me: (unable to answer. Stand there trying to speak but can't, so I shuffle over to the register, where I order coffee from the other staff member, all the while thinking how incredibly rude I must appear.)

Another place I'm now too embarrassed to return to.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:04 pm

I think I'm also paranoid about pronouns now.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 11:18 pm

Communication deteriorating because lack of pronouns or using wrong ones.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:15 am

Raleigh wrote:

Me: (unable to answer. Stand there trying to speak but can't, so I shuffle over to the register, where I order coffee from the other staff member, all the while thinking how incredibly rude I must appear.)

I can so relate to that , but the overwhelming feeling I get is not that I appear rude , it's that I appear like a complete nutjob :elephant: ( no nutjob emoji so Nellie will have to do instead )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I mean....Neil's not perfect. He has his days of discontent. But don't we all?

Sure do

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:25 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

I can so relate to that , but the overwhelming feeling I get is not that I appear rude , it's that I appear like a complete nutjob :elephant: ( no nutjob emoji so Nellie will have to do instead )

I get the similar feeling at times - once in the middle of the day, I got startled by the shopkeeper when I went to the shop and said "good morning" (it was about 4 PM) :lol: and she said, sure, good morning, good day whatever you'd like lol

Raleigh wrote:
I think I'm also paranoid about pronouns now.

I'm so sorry about that but that really wasn't your fault.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:36 am

Raleigh wrote:

Since joining here I feel I have to put IMO on most things for fear of someone jumping down my throat :roll:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:41 am

Booyakasha wrote:

I get the similar feeling at times - once in the middle of the day, I got startled by the shopkeeper when I went to the shop and said "good morning" (it was about 4 PM) :lol: and she said, sure, good morning, good day whatever you'd like lol

Did you say 'good morning' because you hadn't been awake long , thought is was morning or just as a general greeting.

I've done all three :roll:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 12:00 pm

I'm an aspie... Who shouldn't supposedly verbal!... Sometimes I wish I was non verbal. Not because of difficulty though... Something else is... Something tells me I'm not supposedly an aspie at all. Except I'm lucky that I'm qualified for that. With greater overall bodily control to top that.
So, therefore, I'm, technically, verbal enough. With little difficulty for it. With no delay for it. Some of my domains are even advanced.

Here's my differences:

If one knows me really well enough, if I lose all levels of restraint and tension of control, one could took me for a level 2 nonverbal autistic. Only my mom knows my.. 'Language'.. That is usually composed of sounds, random gestures, and physical contact. Seriously. And words never goes beyond 2 syllables.
Mind that I didn't chose this. It's completely semiconscious/unconscious.

Not to mention echolalia and repeatedly blurting things out repeatedly. People, if they ever caught me, they'll just hear a whisper that is repeated all over. :lol: Except, they'll just assume that I'm breathing loudly or something due to that they all knew that I usually have issues breathing through my nose, or else in mind. My mom doesn't even noticed this. :lol: She'd just assume I'm talking to myself or reading things out loud.
The loudest I usually do this is in a form of greeting and concealed swearing/sigh. :twisted:

Except none of those are a 'problem' to me. At all.

Here's my difficulties AND differences:

My one of my problems lies with occasional auditory processing glitch. Tagalog's spoken language is not only faster, but also it's pronunciations of words seems similar to another and easily mistaken for another even if pronouncing words is simpler than using English.
Maybe that IS the point -- because it's too simple to pronounce. Tagalog is, "spoken as it is written".
Sometimes E and I, O and U are interchangeable -- granted, other dialects only have A, E/I, O/U. Same toned consonants are easily confused, sometimes mistaken for silent (or it didn't sounded from it) too if spoken too fast.
Not to mention there are moments that I mishear myself saying gibberish to someone else when the real output is as precise as my mind's. But the hearing input says it's gibberish. 8O

Other problem would be language comprehension in general. Why and how I pulled through is a series of compensation. Several of my good domains, especially abstract, making up for and translates to verbal as if it's a medium. I'm likely thinking in grammars and concepts than in words.

That, then there's mental multitasking, bad short term memory, and bad working memory. I also occasionally forget vocabularies, ends up with alternative words or saying something less specific or vague. Or describing the word itself. And most of all, the filters.

Lastly, I have no real accent, I don't have much tone control. Mostly, I'd get away with this. But places like work? Not really. It got me into trouble a few times now. Especially if I happened to be not in the right mood, overwhelmed, and/or exhausted.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 12:02 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Booyakasha wrote:

Did you say 'good morning' because you hadn't been awake long , thought is was morning or just as a general greeting.

I've done all three :roll:

lol I was awake for more then 8-9 hours by then :lol: but that woman startled me. It just came out my mouth, dunno from where lol.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 12:13 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Since joining here I feel I have to put IMO on most things for fear of someone jumping down my throat :roll:

Yeah, the level of potential misunderstanding here is extremely high. The safest are the joke threads. I love my nerves too much to post somewhere else lol. (most of the time)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:04 pm

Booyakasha wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Yeah, the level of potential misunderstanding here is extremely high. The safest are the joke threads. I love my nerves too much to post somewhere else lol. (most of the time)

I think I fail a lot with banter in real life , I try to participate but I always manage to overstep the mark or say something to close to the bone ( due to dark humour ) , it's got me into trouble before especially if your boss is having banter with you and you probably should haven't made that hilarious reference about his personal life :roll:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:33 pm

Here I am being an idiot again.
Yay, me.
I wonder that anyone wants to talk to me.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:00 pm

I just don't know what I've done wrong.
If they said, "I hate you as a person." that would be easier to accept than no feedback at all.
It's the not knowing that's difficult.
Then I could apologise for being an unacceptable person and move on.
Maybe even try to improve my approach in future.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 8:09 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I wonder that anyone wants to talk to me.

because you can relate