Teams search for missing autistic boy near Mt. St Helens

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:18 am

poor kid hes only 11 lost in the woods i would be so scared if it would be me

click the link for the news story (video on yahoo news)

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=4226712&cl=9111903&src=news

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 11:43 am

:( I hope they find him.

I keep reading these kinds of stories, and at this point I'm terrified of ever taking my ASD kids camping.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 1:21 pm

It's big news here in Oregon.

Only 11 and autistic. :cry:

Since he has regular autism and not Aspergers,
he may not respond to his name.

It's finding a needle in a haystack.
I hope they find him safe.

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2008, 2:32 pm

When I was 11 I thought I wanted to be lost in the woods somewhere. Never got the courage up to try it though.
I pray they find this kid safe and sound soon.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 3:54 pm

He is found, safe and sound. And hungry.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:25 pm

:D Yay!! !!

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:35 pm

:D 8) :heart: :cheers: :salut: :hail: :wtg:

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 8:42 pm

Whatever the "communication exercise" was that this father was attempting, it obviously was poorly thought out since the boy wandered off. Given that autistics tend to wander off if something catches their fancy, I think that to try something like that in the forest where distractions are legion was the height of folly. The good thing is, the boy's autism may have helped him in that he simply followed the trail back to the trailhead, very logically. A NT may have gone blindly crashing through the forest where there was no trail, making him that much harder to find. I've heard numerous stories where NT people, lost in a forest, will go wandering blindly through dense brush because they thought there was a mining camp nearby or something similar, not having a compass with them or really knowing where the miners are, and ending up dead. A couple years ago a San Francisco family got lost in the Cascades near Roseburg, Oregon, and after a while the father went off pell mell trying to find a mining camp he thought existed but hadn't for a while, and walked in circles before dying. He had no map or compass. The logging road he'd followed to his doom was still visible despite several inches of snow. But instead he went crashing through the forest blindly.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 11:55 pm

pezar wrote:
Whatever the "communication exercise" was that this father was attempting, it obviously was poorly thought out since the boy wandered off. Given that autistics tend to wander off if something catches their fancy, I think that to try something like that in the forest where distractions are legion was the height of folly. The good thing is, the boy's autism may have helped him in that he simply followed the trail back to the trailhead, very logically. A NT may have gone blindly crashing through the forest where there was no trail, making him that much harder to find. I've heard numerous stories where NT people, lost in a forest, will go wandering blindly through dense brush because they thought there was a mining camp nearby or something similar, not having a compass with them or really knowing where the miners are, and ending up dead. A couple years ago a San Francisco family got lost in the Cascades near Roseburg, Oregon, and after a while the father went off pell mell trying to find a mining camp he thought existed but hadn't for a while, and walked in circles before dying. He had no map or compass. The logging road he'd followed to his doom was still visible despite several inches of snow. But instead he went crashing through the forest blindly.

I heard about that story, quite close by my area where I go to college at. very surprising how it all turned out.

05 Aug 2008, 1:01 am

I did not know about this. I rarely watch the news now. Only news I see on at work is CNN.

The family doesn't live very far from me.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 12:45 pm

Good to hear he was found safe and walked out on his own.