Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 3:24 pm

What games magazines do you read regularly?

I find the internet isn't really full of good writers but in magazines I usually find a much better standard of English and better critical skills. I tend to trust the magazines more than websites like IGN and Gamespot.

I read PC Gamer UK, GamesTM and Edge Magazine. I also occasionally pick up PC Gamer US, PC Zone and EGM. I find any of the single format magazines are hopelessly biased and can't be relied upon for independent views.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 3:39 pm

I read Game Informer. IMO it's varied and has good reviews. :-)

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 3:43 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I read Game Informer. IMO it's varied and has good reviews. :-)

I've never read it as its not available in Ireland. I'll have a look at the website though.

05 Aug 2008, 5:39 pm

I like Nintendo Power. I don't really like Gameinformer anymore. I gave the new issues away recently on Craigslist. I keep getting them because I have a Gamestop card.

JimmyNeurtonRules
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 7:07 pm

I get EGM. Good stuff

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 2:13 pm

Used to get Nintendo Power, PC Games, and Computer Gaming World (loved the demo discs), but don't get them anymore. Prettymuch anything I need I can just get on the Internet these days.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:35 pm

I read a range of Xbox 360 magazines, there not necesery but if there is something in the issue I want to know about then I will get it. I like to play the demo disks except my consoel seems to think that I own the game when I play the demo and looks bad as I have know achievements for it.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 10:43 pm

Games magazines? Do they seriously still make a profit these days? Unlike other publications games magazines usually have tech-savvy people as their audience, who are far more likely to get this sort of information on the internet.

For me, Metacritic is the best place for games reviews, given that it takes into account several points of view. I used to use Gamespot a lot but I think they're a bit too compromising with their advertisers.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 8:16 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Games magazines? Do they seriously still make a profit these days? Unlike other publications games magazines usually have tech-savvy people as their audience, who are far more likely to get this sort of information on the internet.

For me, Metacritic is the best place for games reviews, given that it takes into account several points of view. I used to use Gamespot a lot but I think they're a bit too compromising with their advertisers.

I find the quality of the writing in a magazine like PC Gamer UK or Edge is far superior to most of the websites such as IGN, Gamespot, or Gamespy. Only Eurogamer is of equivalent quality to the magazines I buy.

victorvndoom
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2008, 10:34 am

found several gaming magazines online the best that the written ones for which you have to pay.

http://www.gamerzines.com/
this is one for free even you can download the old ones yourself

favorites : gamespy , pcign, gamespot

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 9:09 pm

I got a subscritption to gameinformer. I like it although I haven't read any of the other game magazines to compare it's quality.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 11:18 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I like Nintendo Power. I don't really like Gameinformer anymore. I gave the new issues away recently on Craigslist. I keep getting them because I have a Gamestop card.

I am the same I like NP and at one time subscribed to Gameinformer, I didn't renew the Gameinformer trying to save money and I was no very impressed.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 1:04 am

When I was 14-16, I read PlayStation Power and PlayStation Max. But the quality of this magazines got worse every issue, and I stop buying it.

Now I read Club Nintendo, and sometimes EGM and Nintendo Power (if I find it). I also read other magazines that come from Spain, unfortunately they come with free PAL DVDs with demos.

Atomix is filled with advertising, and they copy a lot of reviews from the web. Those guys are lame.

victorvndoom
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2008, 3:37 am

i read jostick (french magazine), pcgameplay (belgian magazine)

now it is too expensive

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 8:25 am

Just Playstation magazine, if it features a game I'm interested in. Most of the time I just look at various online sites.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 9:06 am

I haven't bothered with gaming magazines for a long time. When I was young, I was into Next Generation and PC Gamer, but now I don't bother.

For editorial content, I do read http://www.escapistmagazine.com/ sometimes. I find them less interesting than I used to though, and usually Yahtzee's reviews are the main thing I'm interested in these days.