Mental disability groups protest 'Tropic Thunder'

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 5:34 am

I saw that movie, and it isn't as contemptive of the mentally challenged as you'd think. It has a moral. The movie seems to point out that anyone allegedly "normal" trying to compete as a Special Athlete has a handicap all their own, a moral handicap.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 11:27 am

Should all WWII movies that depict Nazis be denounced? Or merely those that glorify the Nazis? Should we reform every celluloid villain and give them perfect manners and a pure heart? Maybe instead of having murder mysteries, the drama can focus on someone who once forgot to 'thank you' ??

It is my understanding that the movie itself is about a group of actors that are making a movie (ie, there is a movie inside the movie, and the innermost movie really stinks). The actors are portrayed as greedy for fame, obsessed with success, stupid, and insensitive. But from what I have heard, the overall effect of the movie is not to encourage people to ridicule the mentally handicapped - rather, the message is the callous buffoons that do so. Big Difference in my book.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 1:08 pm

Tropic Thunder is just a movie people.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 5:24 pm

From what little I've read, it's NOT about someone who's actually mentally challenged.
So what's the beef?