Bus driver gets 5 years prison - is this justice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Newtonscat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Nov 2005, 5:56 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/linc ... 422040.stm

He OBVIOUSLY experienced some kind of "disturbance of consciousness", possibly neurological -

He drove for 22 seconds with his foot on the accelerator thinking he was pressing the brake - so they send him to prison for 5 years.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 7:41 pm

I think it's just. Five people died as a result of his poor driving. I am sure he is sorry about it, but that doesn't bring those five people back. If he had psychological/neurological problems that caused problems with his driving, then he shouldn't have been a bus driver. A person shouldn't drive if his reaction time is that awful. Twenty-two seconds is a long time (if you don't think so, watch a clock or count to 22).

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 10:54 pm

But then whats jail for? I thought it was supposed to be rehibilation and protection or even a deterrant, none of those apply in this case seeing it was an accident.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Newtonscat

10 Nov 2005, 1:48 am

I wonder what drug(s) he had been prescribed by his doctor? Princess Diana's driver had Tiapride in his system - prescribed to him by a psychiatrist. I would be willing to bet that this accident has its origins in the side-effect of a drug. After the bus stopped the driver believed for some time that the brakes were faulty. Some psychiatric drugs "reverse" the decision-making part of the brain. There is a "cover-up" going on. Someone, a doctor, a psychiatrist, knows the real cause of this accident.