Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:47 am

Since classic books by Mark Twain, Lewis Carrol and so on aren't copyrighted, they can be downloaded for free here: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

I've downloaded The Mysterious Stranger, by Mark Twain, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 7:23 am

I was afraid you were doing something illegal, but Project Gutenberg is alright. :)

I think some websites have other free, legal ebooks. There are open-source pdfs at the Internet Archive. I downloaded the novelisation of Metropolis by Thea von Harbou there. Not to mention that the BBC have offered free ebook versions of some of their Doctor Who novels.

On sabbatical...

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 7:58 am

Gutenberg books are out of copyright. I uploaded one of the books there and may upload more if I have time. I have a collection of antique books and have converted them into text files. Some of them may go to PDF due to the images in them.

If you get a library card, many local libraries have in-copyright books that you can download free as well. They have that windows rights management stuff so the files delete themselves after 30 days or so.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 5:30 pm

n4mwd wrote:

If you get a library card, many local libraries have in-copyright books that you can download free as well. They have that windows rights management stuff so the files delete themselves after 30 days or so.

My library only instituted that a couple of months ago, but if they delete themselves after a month or so, I don't see what the point is. I'd rather just borrow the damn things in person. That system is for those unable to get to a library easily.

On sabbatical...