How do you deal with cliques or something like that?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:26 pm

Most people at my school (mainly in most of my classes) are rich, preppy, and uptight kids and I don't really fit in with those people at all.

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

I don't. I will interact with people one on one and either they will like me or they won't. If they are the type to think they are better than me, I don't care. They can think whatever they want. People will either want to get to know me better or not.

You are better off with a few people that you can stand as yourself then changing yourself to fit in with a clique.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:48 pm

In high school, when I did not fit in to any of the cliques, I simply chose not to interact with the other students. It gave me more time to devote to my special interests.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 10:00 pm

I'm rebellious toward the "in" crowd. I openly oppose everything they believe in. I don't go around parading it or anything, but if they ask me I tell them what I think. This may not be the best attitude to have, but the NT's at my college bring out the worst in me. Or maybe it's just my own problems. I don't hate them (though I used to) but they still do get on my nerves.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2008, 2:35 am

Social_Fantom wrote:
I'm rebellious toward the "in" crowd. I openly oppose everything they believe in. I don't go around parading it or anything, but if they ask me I tell them what I think. This may not be the best attitude to have, but the NT's at my college bring out the worst in me. Or maybe it's just my own problems. I don't hate them (though I used to) but they still do get on my nerves.

Same here! I also didn't follow all the recent fads (for example, all the NTs in my school just HAD to get the most recent Ipod, it's the "cool" thing to do). I wasn't afraid to give people an honest answer when people asked me things, which was usually different from everyone else. I think people identified me by my attitude. It's weird, I was just a typical special ed student that rarely spoke with anyone, but somehow the majority of my class (school class, not just my classroom class) knew who I was, and respected me.

So I guess, following the cliques and fads isn't always the answer. :)

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2008, 4:20 pm

It's simple, shop at hottopic, stand out and be yourself 8) Ok so I was exaggerating but yeah that's what I do.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 7:56 pm

I ended up dealing it horribly. I pretty much ended up hating almost everyone in my senior class and things snowballed out of control graduation day after being stubbornly resistant to walk my graduation yet forced to(my school didnt have an option).

The thing about highschool is that people are gonna be stuck in there cliques. They dont like people who are different. You can try to make friends but if that means pretending to be someone else then its not worth selling your soul to the devil. You can possibly try getting involved with extracurricular activities were you can find something of common interest. But if the activities suck then dont bother. If fitting in dosent work out, suck it up, ignore people, and do what you gotta do to finish highschool. Keep in mind, theres so much beyond highschool.

Shai-hulud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2008, 10:24 pm

There's not really much you can do about it. If you don't fit, then you don't fit. Find somewhere else to try to fit into. I used to want to be in the 'cool kid' group, but once I finally got in, I came to find that those kinds of people are pretty dull and very intimidating. I later found a friend who was probably the biggest nerd in the entire school, and she ended up being the coolest person I'd ever met.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 11:38 pm

I hung out with underclassmen, oddly enough. Yeah, I probably looked like a loser, but I don't care because I hated my high school.