Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 6:03 am

I face asbestos where I work. They're renovating the building.

- Emerson

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 6:31 am

removing abestos costs loads of money. that is why nothing was done about it earlier.
I hope that they hurry up and get rid of the stuff already and put the school in a safe building.
abestos related illnesses usually show up something up to 20-40 years after the exposure. the tiny fibres that make up the abestos when they get airborne and breathed in stick to the persons lungs and over time they just end up drowning in their own blood.

i can't believe that people built with that stuff in the first place and in some places they still make it!

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 8:42 am

Asbestos was originally used as a fire retardant and was a good one until the health dangers were discovered. In fact, it was used until the 1970s and 1980s. As long as it is not undisturbed, it is not dangerous.

However upon seeing the pictures, I cannot understand why one of the most powerful unions in the USA (the teachers union in New York whom has ruined many a politicians career) did nothing about it. It is obvious that asbestos and every other dangerous particile is in the air at that building. The whole school is such that I would refuse to work there. Maybe John Taylor Gatto can explain it (or maybe he already has).

This does not surprise me however. A parent of an autistic middle school child here took the district to task a couple of years ago with the state for putting him and his fellow students in a classroom without any heat or carpeting (in an area where heat is required in the winter). The class temp was in the 50s and the students were not allowed to wear coats (although the teachers were). The parent only found out because she made a surprise visit to the school.

This should serve as a warning to all parents to visit your child's school and classroom unannounced to see what is really going on. That is doubly true for parents of children who have communication issues and cannot tell you what is going on.

19 Aug 2008, 1:21 pm

Wow, the cafeteria looks like Life After People.