Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 1:07 am

Gabbaruchi wrote:
The reason this disturbs some of us (myself included) is because cheap white noise generators don't actually play white noise; they play a short, looped recording of white noise. Those of us with enhanced pattern detection pick up on the loop very quickly, and then it becomes repetitive and irritating. I bought a cheap white-noise machine several years ago, and the only setting on it I can stand is "ocean waves", because natural surf is a repetitive sound already and for some reason, even though I can hear the loop, it doesn't bother me. Like most of you, though, I usually just make do with a box fan.

Yep...there is something very fragmented about that sound...and I imagine the sound as being sorta particalised....there are just too many things going on....

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2008, 6:57 am

the noise that helps me get to sleep at night is the sound of my mind thinking over numerous things that have happened in the day. most commonly the most recent things :). im pretty good at sleeping. cept when i have nightmares 8O. theyre not fun.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2008, 8:19 am

Mage wrote:
We use a box fan because it just sounds more organic than a white noise generator. I can't sleep without it.

However, I HATE white noise while I'm awake. I shut that thing off as soon as I wake up, and I can't stand being in a room with fans or vents going, or at work, the constant noise of construction equipment outsides.

I'm EXACTLY the same way.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 10:34 am

Gabbaruchi wrote:
The reason this disturbs some of us (myself included) is because cheap white noise generators don't actually play white noise; they play a short, looped recording of white noise. Those of us with enhanced pattern detection pick up on the loop very quickly, and then it becomes repetitive and irritating. I bought a cheap white-noise machine several years ago, and the only setting on it I can stand is "ocean waves", because natural surf is a repetitive sound already and for some reason, even though I can hear the loop, it doesn't bother me. Like most of you, though, I usually just make do with a box fan.
That is why I can't stand them either. Some years ago my parents bought me one of those white noise generators to I could use it to soothe me to sleep. But I couldn't keep using it because I could detect after a while the same repetitive noises over and over, and it would become highly distracting and irritating. That is why I like fans, as they are not repetitive and the noise is soothing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 12:28 pm

Since wrote:
You can get white-noise generators?

Yes. There are numerous websites and retailers devoted to white noise generators.

Since wrote:
That aren't just radios tuned to no station?

That's only one way. Some use loops sound recordings, others use pseudo-random "walking ring" technology, while others use real noise sources (my favourite).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2008, 1:18 pm

i had one, and i didn't like the white noise or any of the other noises.

for satisfying and quick sleep try the brainwave entrainment delta sleep session. quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Sleep-Syste ... sim_misc_1

some brainwave entrainment / binaural beats cds sound like white noise, with the mind-altering beats hidden in there. but that one is music combined with delta wave generation that will knock you out.

gabrieljosh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2009, 10:20 am

The technology behind sound masking came out of the realization by scientists and engineers that "oral privacy" is actually a simple matter of making speech unintelligible. That is, if each of us can't understand what the other is saying, we have effectively established oral privacy - even though we may still be able to see and, to some extent, hear each other.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 10:26 am

OH GOD I HATE IT! Sorry I just had to yell.

My mum gave me a cd of white noise, I tried to play it and as soon as I heard the rush of noise I freaked and had to shut it off. It's like my tinnitus but much worse, or a waterfall pounding on my head until I can't breathe.