Switching Schools, Asperger Syndrom, Fears and 1800 students

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Stimshieme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2008, 1:02 pm

Because my school doesn't do the subjects I need to go to university to medicine I have to start a new school which makes me scared. A LOT. As if this is not nerve racking enough 1800 students go to the school, my school housed 1000.

But since my subjects are available I join the school as of next week, and some people will show me where the classes are, trouble is I don't usually hang about with NT's and have a slight fear - okay a MASSIVE fear that I will make a fool of myself. I want to be able to feel comfortable with myself and only hang around with myself. I usually stay in a secluded place like the library, somewhere with no noise.

I have this terrible fear that I will concentrate more on trying to make friends like the last time than making use of my the year. It is my final year before uni.

I got the subjects I wanted, I got the sunjects I needed for my final year and yet something makes me feel that I have suddenly made a terrible mistake. I was just getting used to my old school and I have to say that I became slightly attached to some of the people that went there emotionally even though we do not hang about a lot. I will feel small in some of the classes since they are huge

How do I concentrate more on my studies than on making friends of trying to look normal than nervous and foreign? Has anyone else felt like this? You have to remember one thing this school is HUGE and I'm only one person with AS.

I want to go to Oxford and I want the best grades and I thought if my make the final sacrifice to get there then it will be worthwhile, this constant fear is making me feel bad I sometimes can't sleep at night.

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2008, 3:59 pm

Stimshieme wrote:
Because my school doesn't do the subjects I need to go to university to medicine I have to start a new school which makes me scared. A LOT. As if this is not nerve racking enough 1800 students go to the school, my school housed 1000.

But since my subjects are available I join the school as of next week, and some people will show me where the classes are, trouble is I don't usually hang about with NT's and have a slight fear - okay a MASSIVE fear that I will make a fool of myself. I want to be able to feel comfortable with myself and only hang around with myself. I usually stay in a secluded place like the library, somewhere with no noise.

I have this terrible fear that I will concentrate more on trying to make friends like the last time than making use of my the year. It is my final year before uni.

I got the subjects I wanted, I got the sunjects I needed for my final year and yet something makes me feel that I have suddenly made a terrible mistake. I was just getting used to my old school and I have to say that I became slightly attached to some of the people that went there emotionally even though we do not hang about a lot. I will feel small in some of the classes since they are huge

How do I concentrate more on my studies than on making friends of trying to look normal than nervous and foreign? Has anyone else felt like this? You have to remember one thing this school is HUGE and I'm only one person with AS.

I want to go to Oxford and I want the best grades and I thought if my make the final sacrifice to get there then it will be worthwhile, this constant fear is making me feel bad I sometimes can't sleep at night.

Are you sure you're the only one there with AS?

And I find, when I really need to hunker down and study, that it's best to completely isolate myself.

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2008, 8:10 am

I have had this problem throught my life because basically all the time i had to move schools i had to move it from my friends to a totally new place and i was nervous all the time but i still made friends. i was anxious but you know makign friends is quite easy actually. Like most of the time when I'm new i just listen around to what people are saying and if it is a subject I'm really interested in i like say my piece, and then you get to know the people you have talked to and hey presto you made friends that you talk to. Yes you have to fight that fear when you want to talk..i had it, but if you break through that barriar you will find that you have made friends. And don't worry if your circle of friends is really small...I have always had that case and i think its much better then having loads of friends.

camelonajourney
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2008, 8:17 pm

You think that's big? Mine has 2300 students. My best friend has AS, and we suspect a girl we know does, too. There could be someone.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:04 am

One advantage of going to a larger school is the student body will be more diverse, so most likely, you'll run into other aspies there. I went to small schools and it was horrible socially, no place to hide, and eventually, everyone in the school, even kids in the other grade levels I didn't know, started picking on me.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 1:34 am

My dad is in the army so I whent to a few schools, luckily I stayed in the same highschool.

frohman2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2008, 4:09 am

well, my school is about 4000+ students and growing