do we deserve to perish in a nuclear holocaust?

Page 12 of 12 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

do we deserve to perish in a nuclear holocaust?
yes 28%  28%  [ 13 ]
no 59%  59%  [ 27 ]
other (please qualify) 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 46

chever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 2:21 am

Sand wrote:
What disconcerts me is that you seem to feel that merely a change of substance will have a radical effect on the problems to be confronted..

Not so much a change of substance, a change of perspective

It happens that AI is the best and greatest way to carry it out

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 2:34 am

A basic error that people make is in the concept of the process of thinking. They conceive that the virtual universe they carry around in their heads to deal with reality is superior to the thinking with materials and forces that the universe carries on continuously. It is, of course, not conscious thinking in the manner of human thought and it is, in human perspective, highly uneconomic and time consuming but nature has near infinite resources and time is of no concern. What happens in the universe is not random and is highly accretional. The process permits huge experimentation on a scale unavailable to humans and it eventually (by the evidence of our existence) solves very intricate and difficult problems. That is the competition and in this area it has come up with organics. We ourselves are part of the process and we may supplement the experimentation with inorganics but it is wise to be a bit humble over our capabilities.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 3:12 am

Sand wrote:
We ourselves are part of the process and we may supplement the experimentation with inorganics but it is wise to be a bit humble over our capabilities.

If we conceive of and build something that is slightly better than us, it can conceive of and build something slightly better than it, etc.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 3:18 am

The question that we should be asking is not whether we deserve it or not, but whether the next dominate species will evolve from cockroaches or pond scum after it does in fact happen, because in my opinion it will (or something else equally or more destructive). It is only a matter of time. Will we deserve it it? Does the fire ant colony deserve to be wiped out when someone pours gasoline down it? Does that answer in any way, shape, or form effect the out come? All things come to an end. That is all.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 10:36 am

This discussion has boiled down to an almost religious area. Evidently you view robots equivalent to a second coming. I am fully aware that religion in general has no appeal for either one of us but my experience has lead me to be very suspicious of broad confidence in any futuristic propositions without very solid concrete indications. No doubt artificial intelligence has some interesting potential but my repeated frustrations with even the minuscule sector of my computer and general knowledge of how technology can and does fall apart in critical situations is a pretty strong indication that humanity, even the most expert humanity, has no difficulty in tying itself up into technological knots. The recent launch of the Microsoft mess called Vista that was no doubt years in development by people expert in the field bears witness to human tendencies to screw up. The proposals that are put forth on the superiority of a projected robotic takeover are amusing but require a leap of faith which has seemed to have pretty much overwhelmed you. Faith is believing without seeing. I don't do that. But my past experience with religious people who blandly accept the most silly things without question has made me aware that people with faith have lost the ability to think clearly. I do not doubt that you have better grounds for your faith than religious people but those grounds are simply insufficient for me.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 11:34 am

Sand wrote:
This discussion has boiled down to an almost religious area. Evidently you view robots equivalent to a second coming. I am fully aware that religion in general has no appeal for either one of us but my experience has lead me to be very suspicious of broad confidence in any futuristic propositions without very solid concrete indications. No doubt artificial intelligence has some interesting potential but my repeated frustrations with even the minuscule sector of my computer and general knowledge of how technology can and does fall apart in critical situations is a pretty strong indication that humanity, even the most expert humanity, has no difficulty in tying itself up into technological knots. The recent launch of the Microsoft mess called Vista that was no doubt years in development by people expert in the field bears witness to human tendencies to screw up. The proposals that are put forth on the superiority of a projected robotic takeover are amusing but require a leap of faith which has seemed to have pretty much overwhelmed you. Faith is believing without seeing. I don't do that. But my past experience with religious people who blandly accept the most silly things without question has made me aware that people with faith have lost the ability to think clearly. I do not doubt that you have better grounds for your faith than religious people but those grounds are simply insufficient for me.

Maybe we humans really arent smart enough to "play god" and create something Better than ourselves.:? Machines arent perfect,but they tend to make A LOT less mistakes than human beings do.The principles of computation are the SAME regardless of the substrate. Biology has some serious limitations and machinery has enabled us to move past those limitations.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 11:46 am

Both biology and human technology have serious limitations. Theoretically artificial intelligence can surpass human intelligence and, it seems to me, considering the mess the world is in, that is not an impossible project. But there is an inherent intelligence within our physiology that dealt with microbes and viruses millions of years before Pasteur and was not what might be called conscious intellect. That intellect is still quite a bit superior to human conscious intellect and I have yet to see whether our inventions can even approach that.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 12:43 pm

Sand wrote:
Both biology and human technology have serious limitations. Theoretically artificial intelligence can surpass human intelligence and, it seems to me, considering the mess the world is in, that is not an impossible project. But there is an inherent intelligence within our physiology that dealt with microbes and viruses millions of years before Pasteur and was not what might be called conscious intellect. That intellect is still quite a bit superior to human conscious intellect and I have yet to see whether our inventions can even approach that.

I understand what you're saying.But I also pick up on the fact that although you havent explicitly stated it this way-you are convinced that for humans to create sentient, intelligent, self-replicating technology that surpasses us is essentially playing god. Many religious people Ive spoken with believe that machine intelligence(and sentience) is impossible because "only God has the power to create life". Only time will tell, and times never wrong. :wink:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 1:01 pm

Let me allay your suspicions. I merely have an inordinate respect for the billions of experiments that natural selections play with continuously. To put it as mildly as I can, religion and respect for God is, in my opinion, a rather large bucket of BS. But although the forces of nature are not consciously cleverer than humans nevertheless their ability to endlessly experiment in real time over billions of years is rather impressive.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 2:37 pm

Sand wrote:
Let me allay your suspicions. I merely have an inordinate respect for the billions of experiments that natural selections play with continuously. To put it as mildly as I can, religion and respect for God is, in my opinion, a rather large bucket of BS. But although the forces of nature are not consciously cleverer than humans nevertheless their ability to endlessly experiment in real time over billions of years is rather impressive.

I wasnt trying to allude to you being religious. playing god is more of a figure of speech than a literal acknowledgement of Gods existance.

Landaree
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2008, 2:46 pm

I've voted no. If an all-out nuclear war began, and someone asked me at that moment, I'd say yes.

In other words: I prefer my answer to that question to be purely empirical.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 8:19 pm

Sand wrote:
The recent launch of the Microsoft mess called Vista that was no doubt years in development by people expert in the field bears witness to human tendencies to screw up.

Well, OK.

(I use Linux and it has never crashed.)

Vista is a mess because (among other reasons) its release was hastened and it was not built to a very high specification at all. 'Slapdash' would be too nice.

In any case, if you knew what you were talking about, you'd notice how silly it sounds to compare a crappy commercial operating system to general artificial intelligence.

Sand wrote:
The proposals that are put forth on the superiority of a projected robotic takeover are amusing but require a leap of faith which has seemed to have pretty much overwhelmed you. Faith is believing without seeing. I don't do that. But my past experience with religious people who blandly accept the most silly things without question has made me aware that people with faith have lost the ability to think clearly. I do not doubt that you have better grounds for your faith than religious people but those grounds are simply insufficient for me.

Until you have some background in computer science and software engineering, please don't talk to me about 'faith'.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 10:06 pm

That's a very valid point and I accept that you are convinced that your understanding can predict with total accuracy that artificial intelligence will surpass human capabilities in the relatively near future. Until I gain equal expertise I cannot absolutely refute your claims and will have to await developments to see if you may be correct. Nevertheless I retain very strong doubts and perhaps we should leave it at that.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 4:51 am

Sand wrote:
That's a very valid point and I accept that you are convinced that your understanding can predict with total accuracy that artificial intelligence will surpass human capabilities in the relatively near future.

Not with "total accuracy", but it's reasonably certain.