Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASDMOM
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Aug 2008, 7:10 pm

Hello Everybody.
I am new at WP. I am mom to a 4 year old happy, intellingent, active boy with autism.
And have 2 other relatives with Asperger's.
Anyway, I have a question. My son goes to a Center pre-school. I have noticed that he relates very differently to the children there than to the children without autism. He does parallel play at school but will not use words or make physical contact. In the community, he observes more the behavior of children without autism, tries to immitate them and will make some comments to them. NOt often but sometimes. I realize everyone in the spectrum is different. That is certainly the case for all my relatives in the spectrum but nevertheless I wanted to ask someone in the spectrum if they too relate differently when in the company of all persons with autism and when in the company of NTs. And if I may ask why? I am just trying to understand my boy a little better. Thank you. ASD MOM.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 8:34 pm

Well, I have aspergers.. it use to be that I would not accept that Im 'lower class' on the social scale so I would go after the popular people and try to befriend them.. not always the REALLY popular people, but ya know.. although in elementary school i was fine.. :?

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 12:13 am

I think when two autistics interact it's more comfortable because you can have more parallel play and not really engage the other person.
NTs have a natural ability to engage each other and seem to appreciate the dynamics of the relationship where an AS has to change his/her personality to suit the other. Also, it's more fun to banter ideas with someone who is opinionated and NT's seem to care more about being diplomatic in their conversation and less interested in topics that would appeal to someone on the spectrum.
That is my opinion...