Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 12:51 pm

So many descriptive words here...
It seems as though that people who enjoy the scents of autumns write beautifully too.
I also love the smell of burning leaves and camp fires too.

-Pythagoras

blamo
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2008, 7:33 pm

i have to agree with Punkykat, the smell of decay is rather upsetting. I find myself very smell sensitive. I like autumn but not so much for the smells.
Can't "normal" people smell salt water? Or is it that they just don't stop to smell the coast? Screw 'em, they don't know what they are missing.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 7:38 pm

I love the scents of nature.

blamo
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2008, 7:48 pm

Don't get me wrong, I spend HUGE amounts of time outdoors, love the smells outdoors. Hell, it's clean, unlike the cities.

PS; great Buckaroo Bonzai reference :D

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 8:49 pm

Yes, I can smell water. I can also smell and taste metals. I like a drawer full of silver cutlery, a very interesting smell.

I think it's quite common for NTs to talk about the pleasing smell of autumn. I agree. It's the smell of vegetation dying and drying out, the sugars and volitile essences of its juices ending up in the air, made more precisely detectable by the chill reducing the smell of soil. The plant-notes all sharp and clear, and the water-in-the-air smell likewise. Very nice.

I like spring-smells better. Red willow's particular aspiriny-sweet smell when it first comes back to life. And the spring winds that happen here because of the sunlight heating up the mountainsides miles away, so the wind comes with the smell of aspen trees and sometimes a hint of gentians.

I hate the smell of forest fires. When we had lots a few years ago and the smell of the smoke was constantly coming down off the mountain, it made me very anxious and made other people snippy.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2008, 10:59 pm

Pernally NO! It makes me depressed and sad. I love the smell of spring and summer best. (No offence if you like the smell of fall. It's just me ^^U)

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2008, 2:28 am

lionesss wrote:
ed wrote:
The scent I've always associated with Autumn is the wonderful (to me) smell of burning leaves. Of course we don't do that anymore, so that magical part of Fall is gone forever.

oooohh I love the smell of burning leaves too, one of my favorite scents!

That and the cool smokey sweat smell at night. 8) It has a comfortable feeling, but not without a tinge of sadness. Winter is my least favorite season, so I get a bit of dread along with it. I like glowing colors but wish they would last longer. I could do without ragweed and the mold though... My allergies tend to flare up really bad in the fall and spring.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 8:53 am

Will you all stop it about Autumn :!: :!: :!: :!: . I am an Englishman living in Australia and I miss Autumn so much. The only deciduous trees here are imported and there are not many of them. Autumn is amber, with the crinkle, rustle and compost of leaves. We don't get that here eucalypt's are evergreen.

Of course on the upside we have kick ass beaches :D

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2008, 10:06 am

I love the smells of autumn like pumpkin pie and the rain. I also like spring when the days get warmer and I can breathe in the smell of tilled earth when the farmers get ready to plant.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 11:17 am

DentArthurDent wrote:

I wouldn't call beaches "kick ass" when you have to share the water not just with killer sharks, but with little tiny killer jellyfish too! :lol:

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2008, 12:39 pm

Oh I love the smell of autumn! The smell of the earth, leaves drying. Things are amplified outside because the air pressure changes. Smells more vibrant. Sounds more crisp. And when its autumn I can boil hot water and cinimun sticks on the stove, and bring out my special apple pie candles. Mmmmmm... :) My birthday is in October.

(I can also smell water, and many things other people say they can't smell at all.)

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 4:14 am

ed wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

I wouldn't call beaches "kick ass" when you have to share the water not just with killer sharks, but with little tiny killer jellyfish too! :lol:

you forgot about the cone shells, stone fish, not to mention the snakes as you walk down the path to the beach.

Of course you guys are forgetting that Autumn signals the start of winter, you northern hemisphere types can keep your ice storms and snow chains :lol:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2008, 8:14 am

anna-banana wrote:
I love the smell of Autumn, especially in London, it's the best time to be there.

hey fellow londoner!

Yeha I love the autumn and was thinking the other morning that it is now here and brought a smile to my face. Not sure about smell, I never really noticed it, I just feel autumn.

ccflowergirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 3:33 pm

i love autumn too! the smells, the colors, the breeze in the air. being able to wear a soft sweater again, to cuddle with when you don't have any one, the slight chill in the air that makes you start thinking romantic thoughts, the pumpkin flavored candle, the smell of baking cookies, fresh picked apples, fall does smell so good. i love Autumn too

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 10:11 am

Scent of a season topic

I suppose some enterprising individual will create a chemical duplicate and it will end up in commercial dryer sheets!! !:lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 10:18 am

What is it about autumn that's so romantic. Does anyone else get that feeling when the air starts to chill? Do you feel energized? It's a lovely season.