Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 10:14 am

Sora wrote:
-JR wrote:
"NT" is a medical term, no? "Neurologically Typical"...?

No.

Neurologically typical is non-existent in the medical language because really, who'd be 'NT' in reality?

Nobody would be.

Kajjie wrote:
Jenk wrote:
Propose a superior term, as writing "everyone else" could get tiring.

I think we should call them NOAS: Not On the Autistic Spectrum.

Or people would just write non-autistic. NA

At least it has in A as in ASD or AS and AD which somehow connects the word NA to autism.

It would also probably finally be used accurately.

Non-autistic people is something different from the mysterious non-existent 'NT'.

NA would still include schizofrenic, cerbral palsy, imbeciles, bipolar which are also not 'normal'

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 10:43 am

Loborojo wrote:
NA would still include schizofrenic, cerbral palsy, imbeciles, bipolar which are also not 'normal'

Yes of course, if they're non-autistic.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 12:30 pm

Sora wrote:
-JR wrote:

No.

Neurologically typical is non-existent in the medical language because really, who'd be 'NT' in reality?

Nobody would be.

It's actually used in some formal papers that I've seen.

But it originated in the autistic community. (And it's not clear whether it originated specifically with those referred to as "aspies", or not.) Ages and ages ago, before lots and lots of webforums even existed.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 3:12 pm

anbuend wrote:
Sora wrote:
-JR wrote:

No.

Nobody would be.

It's actually used in some formal papers that I've seen.

But it originated in the autistic community. (And it's not clear whether it originated specifically with those referred to as "aspies", or not.) Ages and ages ago, before lots and lots of webforums even existed.

That's it's in a few papers already is interesting to know!

I'm personally a bit frightened that it went so far beyond the autistic community. But maybe that new use actually shifts the view on this word a bit and away from the generalisation or wary.

Especially if it's read by people who're not autistic.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 3:24 pm

My daughter is not autistic but she has ADHD and has mild dyslexia, and she is far from "NT".. thats why whenever I write out "NT" in general.. I quote it! No such thing are truly "NT".

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 3:43 pm

Do a search on pubmed for the word "neurotypical". It turns up 16 results, not even all autism-related. (One contrasts "ADHD" with "neurotypical" for instance.)