Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 3:37 pm

I was just reading an excellent book on epidemiology which bears the cheerful title of The Coming Plague, and I got to the chapter about 1970s sexual practices this morning. Now, in our time we think about 1970s sexual practices the same way we think about the roaring twenties: impressed by such expressions of freedom but also melancholic, for we are acutely aware of how it all came crashing down. Eyewitnesses say that one could not, in the mid-to-late 1980s, walk down a street in San Francisco's Castro district without seeing at least one funeral procession.

I have never been one to say that sex is immoral, lewd, or shameful; it only takes on those qualities when human psychology gets its gnarled hands on it. As a leeeeeeberaaaal eliiiiiiiitist, I take no issue with homosexuality, interracial relations, premartial sex, or, when explored in a safe and contentious manner, the weirder practices. However, I think that promiscuous sex is usually an expression of a diseased mind, and is in many situations downright unethical.

At the center, sex is about two things and two things only: reproduction and love. Reproduction, of course, is a biological drive burned deep into our DNA. Love is what humans have lent to sex. Just as they did with eating, humans turned the biological mandate of sex into a sacred bonding activity. I mean, we're animals, but we're not, if you know what I mean (I am sure someone has put this better than I just did). Lack of the ability to love, lack of self-control, dissociation of body and mind, misogyny, desire for power, shallowness, and frivolousness break the sex-love connection, which is essential for psychological health. Promiscuity is rooted in neurosis, cruelty, ignorance, and emotional retardation.

On to ethics: promiscuity is rarely harmless. It spreads pestilence. It cheapens relationships. In heterosexual scenarios, whether the man or the woman is the aggressive party, it is the woman who is used and thrown away in the end ('Girls Gone Wild' gives female college students a power trip, but in the end they are rendered powerless, mere objects of a man's fancy). At the beginning of the AIDS epidemic, gay pride people were furious that the San Francisco city government and the Centers for Disease Control tried to shut down the bathhouses, regardless of the major threat to public health they posed. This was extremely irresponsible; if the house is full of Plague fleas, ya burn it down.

Sooooooooo, go do whatever you want, but one at a time people! 8O

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 3:54 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:
I was just reading an excellent book on epidemiology which bears the cheerful title of The Coming Plague

An excellent book; I enjoyed it.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 4:11 pm

I agree with some but not all of what MP said. Having multiple partners increases certain risks. So do certain other behaviors.

Closing bath houses didn't reduce the rate that HIV was spreading in San Fransisco - it was getting people educated to behave in a way that was less risky.

HIV is not a 'venereal disease' - it is a disease. Some virologists call it is a 'blood-borne disease' that can also be spread by sex, although at a lower rate. The first two people I knew with HIV did not acquire the disease via sex. One was a hemophiliac who got regular transfusions of blood; the other worked in a hospital and was exposed to blood there doing her job. The 'house full of plague infested fleas' metaphor dictates that we should have shut down the hospitals and blood banks; instead, we addressed the question of risk.

All things being equal, the more partners one has, the greater the risk. But all things are rarely equal - someone who has several partners and is careful can be at a lower risk than a person who isn't careful but has only one or a few partners.

Also, I have never been one for a long string of conquests, but I don't think there is always an 'aggressive' partner in a relationship. One or the other may initiate a relationship, some may be more altruistic than others, but a relationship can be mutually beneficial.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 4:25 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:
I was just reading an excellent book on epidemiology which bears the cheerful title of The Coming Plague, and I got to the chapter about 1970s sexual practices this morning. Now, in our time we think about 1970s sexual practices the same way we think about the roaring twenties: impressed by such expressions of freedom but also melancholic, for we are acutely aware of how it all came crashing down. Eyewitnesses say that one could not, in the mid-to-late 1980s, walk down a street in San Francisco's Castro district without seeing at least one funeral procession.

Interesting. Never read the book.
Quote:
I have never been one to say that sex is immoral, lewd, or shameful; it only takes on those qualities when human psychology gets its gnarled hands on it. As a leeeeeeberaaaal eliiiiiiiitist, I take no issue with homosexuality, interracial relations, premartial sex, or, when explored in a safe and contentious manner, the weirder practices. However, I think that promiscuous sex is usually an expression of a diseased mind, and is in many situations downright unethical.

When is there non-psychological sex? Such a notion is like a detached sexual organ in orgasm. It doesn't happen. What is a diseased mind? Do we refer to physical elements of the brain or the phenomenological? If the latter, then how does such a thing carry disease objectively? If the former, then how is there disease? What is the proper function of the brain? Not only that, but what shall demarcate the boundary between the ethical and the unethical? It seems to me that if we can randomly assign teleology and ethicality as we currently please, then anything could be diseased and unethical, diseased and ethical, healthy and unethical or even healthy and ethical.

Quote:
At the center, sex is about two things and two things only: reproduction and love. Reproduction, of course, is a biological drive burned deep into our DNA. Love is what humans have lent to sex. Just as they did with eating, humans turned the biological mandate of sex into a sacred bonding activity. I mean, we're animals, but we're not, if you know what I mean (I am sure someone has put this better than I just did). Lack of the ability to love, lack of self-control, dissociation of body and mind, misogyny, desire for power, shallowness, and frivolousness break the sex-love connection, which is essential for psychological health. Promiscuity is rooted in neurosis, cruelty, ignorance, and emotional retardation.

We're animals, but we are animals that feel that we are much more. Can anybody love? What does it mean to love? Is it similar to having a favorite color or favorite cup? We can be attached to that cup, we seek the best for that cup, and we want to keep it safe, but is another person anything but an object? Why control the self? Why love women? Why not hate them for daring to exist? Why not desire power? Isn't power the ability to change the world in a manner that one desires? Are we to argue that frustrating one's own desires, or even negating the self such to desire nothing are healthier and better? Is the world not shallow and frivolous? What is life other than a game to be played? What are other people? We can never communicate our phenomenal experiences, and those are the most essential to us, aren't we already alone in a shallow, frivolous world? What is the proper level of emotion if one can be emotionally ret*d?

Quote:
On to ethics: promiscuity is rarely harmless. It spreads pestilence. It cheapens relationships. In heterosexual scenarios, whether the man or the woman is the aggressive party, it is the woman who is used and thrown away in the end ('Girls Gone Wild' gives female college students a power trip, but in the end they are rendered powerless, mere objects of a man's fancy). At the beginning of the AIDS epidemic, gay pride people were furious that the San Francisco city government and the Centers for Disease Control tried to shut down the bathhouses, regardless of the major threat to public health they posed. This was extremely irresponsible; if the house is full of Plague fleas, ya burn it down.

It spreads pestilence, but only amongst those willing to take the risks. Shall we attack gambling for hurting checkbooks? How about dishonesty? At least that way you protect the fools who did very little wrong. Relationships are cheap anyway, they are not transcendent connections with the divine that people like to think they are, but rather ugly little things, creations more of chemistry than of anything higher. Of course the women are used, men are designed to use women, could it be any other way? Aren't the bath houses a problem for the gays? If they want AIDS then they can use them, if they fear AIDS they can avoid them. It isn't as if this is a matter of massive externalities, if it is consensual then there is nothing external, only the possibility of surprises.
Quote:
Sooooooooo, go do whatever you want, but one at a time people! 8O

Why should we limit ourselves by your recommendations? I do what I want, period.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 4:29 pm

monty wrote:
HIV is not a 'venereal disease' - it is a disease.

HIV is not a disease, it is a virus. The disease it causes is called AIDS.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 4:43 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Why should we limit ourselves by your recommendations? I do what I want, period.

And you'll take the consequences of your actions. PERIOD. This is not directed at anyone here personally, but you're promiscuous and/or dont practive safe sex and you get AIDS, WHO'S fault is that? No, its not the fault of the Universe for being "unfair" to you? It is YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT for being careless, selfish, and thinking "it cant happen to me".
I dont understand for the life of me why many gay men are promiscuous AND why they dont take Extra precautions like NEVER
letting oneself be buggered by a stranger without a condom :?. I associate promiscuity with Narcissism, selfishness,
self-indulgence,apathy, and in neurosis in the cse of bipolar people who are notorious for it when they're having a manic episode. Bear in mind that I do NOT think homosexuality is bad or wrong, but I dont approve of "free love" and sleeping around No Matter WHO you are.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 4:59 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:

Because I say so.

No, seriously, a moral judgment (how fun they are!) does not equal a proposed set of rules. I think that hairless dogs are irredeemably creepy, but I am not about to vandalize the homes of those who own them.