Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2008, 9:58 am

cyberscan wrote:
I wish I could match names to faces. I'm severely autistic, and this is one of my weaknesses. As hard as I try, it takes a lot for me to remember names. Like Temple Grandin said in her book, it take an intese emotion to get the save button pressed.

I'm AS and I have a problem matching names to faces. I usually recognize the face but do not spend enough time associating the name with the face to remember it. If I am trying to remember someone's name, I'll start going through the alphabet, one letter at a time and see if something clicks. Sometimes works.

I'm too old to get worked up over someone not remembering my name.

On a different note, does anyone have problems hearing their own name? People usually have to say my name several times or tap me on the shoulder for me to recognize someone trying to get my attention if I'm in a crowded area.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:58 pm

i can't remember names... they are not logical and thus give no meaning.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 10:06 pm

Manders wrote:
Does it bother you when people don't remember your name? I actually left a party last night because of this. I was acquainted with every single person there, I had no trouble remembering their names, but mine was a mystery. :roll: It may sound silly, but situations like those have always bothered me a lot. They've been pretty common, too. Am I really that unremarkable?

Does it bother anyone else this much?

You'd hate me, I can't remember names and faces to save my life.

Gliesen_Antrho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2008, 10:20 am

Quote:
Could anyone provide an effective strategy for asking people their names when you've met before?

THis works for me.

"Sorry I've lost my contacts, who are you?" (Should get you a name, though if you use it too much to the same person they might get suspicous,)

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2008, 12:18 pm

I have problems with remembering names... Is it just me or anyone else has it?

Atchisson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2008, 6:35 pm

I just be blunt about it. As soon as i see someone i have met but whose name i can't remember i say something along the lines of "I'm sorry, but I can't remember your name," or "I keep forgetting your name." People are usually understanding of that.

cman_yall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2008, 4:20 am

Some people I know, it's taken me literally years before I can remember their names. But I usually manage to fake it, just talk to them normally, you can usually have a conversation without mentioning the name of the person you're talking to.

chrisno51
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2008, 10:04 pm

I can be like this, I don't really get to 'know' someones name unless I am or get to being around them often, It can takes me weeks to learn everyones name at a new environment, it does bother me some, but I don't let it by too much.

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2008, 10:30 pm

I'm absolutely awful with recognizing people, and I tend to remember people by their clothes-it's extremely inconvenient as you can imagine.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 10:45 am

Doesn't bother me at all because I have issues remembering names myself. I never forget a face, but names are another issue altogether.