Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 8:50 pm

Day 6.

Well it is midday on Day 6. The shepherd's pie was very nice, and worth the work involved, though I have realised I have to really make an effort to slow down and not push myself.

Things like cooking and other physical activities are not easy for me as I'm just not good with my hands, I am slow and get frustrated and fed up and overwhelmed quickly. I remember I was a child I used to dread things like sports and handwriting the most- motor skills have never been my thing. When I was 15 the typing teacher told me I was the worst typist she had ever seen, after I got 12% on my typing exam.

Anyway I have gone off the topic but what I am trying to write about is that it is difficult for me to do all this stuff to keep a diet up. And with diet and exercise, the whole thing is really just activity, and many actions over a period of time all adding up.

So. I am going to make pumpkin soup this afternoon and I am going to not exhaust myself and instead take it slowly.

I have lost another pound and now the 2 pounds I lost since Sunday = 1kg. So, 2 pounds lost- four pounds to go.

Taking a break.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 10:24 am

Grats on the weight loss and good luck!

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 3:39 pm

Thanks, Lostinemulation for the good wishes. :). It has been rather a slow process, but in a way I think it is a really good thing to do, and not just because of potential weight loss.

I have been thinking a lot about body image, health, and healing over the last few days, and I have come to the conclusion that it is not about a diet, but about finding a way of living that will help me be at a good level of health.

So I have to think about what habits I want to keep up after I go off this diet.

This morning I noticed an exciting side effect of eating so many fruits and vegetables. My skin, which has over 2007 & 2008 been looking bumpy and blobby-looking with lots of spots, has mostly cleared up. My skin is lots smoother and I didnt get the spots I usually get on my chin and nose. So, very good.

Taking a break.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 4:44 am

good work zen! I'm on avanza, and have put on about 3 kilos since I've been on it, despite working out 3 or 4 times a week and trying (trying !) to watch my diet. I never had to be too concerned about what I eat before - so I guess I could look at it as a glass half empty or a glass half fulll, in that now I am eating healthier food, exercising more and cutting alcohol, and am more aware of what my body is doing.

I am trying to drink more water, and have been trying fibre supplements, but so far they leave me feeling bloated and affect my umm.. regularity.

Good luck and congratulations!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 3:16 pm

opal wrote:
good work zen! I'm on avanza, and have put on about 3 kilos since I've been on it, despite working out 3 or 4 times a week and trying (trying !) to watch my diet. I never had to be too concerned about what I eat before - so I guess I could look at it as a glass half empty or a glass half fulll, in that now I am eating healthier food, exercising more and cutting alcohol, and am more aware of what my body is doing.

I am trying to drink more water, and have been trying fibre supplements, but so far they leave me feeling bloated and affect my umm.. regularity.

Good luck and congratulations!

Thanks, Opal. Yes antidepressants are like that, I think many people gain a bit of weight on them. It is good that you are eating healthily and exercising while on them, I sat at an office desk all day and ate chocolate bars when I was.

As for the bloating problem, that is a difficult thing. I have had similar problems, on and off the drugs. It can take a lot of experimentation to figure out what can stop these digestive disturbances from happening. Perhaps a doctor/naturopath/nutritionist can help.

It is a good side effect that having these problems can cause us to pay more attention to our health though.

Taking a break.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 4:51 pm

Day 11.

Well I made myself another fruit smoothie this morning- kiwifruit, raspberries and blueberries with spirulina powder. But when I blended this all it turned black.

So I ended up having black mush for breakfast, a first in my lifetime. It kind of looked like crude oil, or the mud you get at the bottom of a bog. So, I just thought I would warn anyone who has any idea to attempt to make a spirulina smoothie, it is best to make it with banana because it will taste a lot better and not look quite as odd.

Anyway I havent lost any further pounds since last entry. Perhaps later this week I will.

Taking a break.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:42 am

zen_mistress wrote:
I am going to go on a diet as from Monday. I hope I can finally lose the weight I want to lose- I put on a stone (14 pounds, or 7kg) on Celexa and I have managed to lose half of that so far through exercise, but it has taken months just to lose a little weight. So I am going to do the following over about 3 weeks:

Eat fruit, vegetables and nuts/seeds (raw) only for most of the day, and then have what would be the normal dinner (usually curry and rice and some sort of meat).

I hope I can manage to lose the weight( 3kgs,or 6 pounds)- I am worried I have sort of plateaued with the weight loss.

It will be a kind of detox in a way, I have never done anything like this before and it will be interesting to see what happens.

I am on a diet too - and this is what I try to do:

1. Keep myself below 140 pounds (I am only 14 and this is how much I weighed only a few days ago).
2. Don't have too many desserts or snacks in the middle of the day.
3. Instead of having a Starbucks hot chocolate (this is just an example) for an in-between-meal-drink, I try to have it AS a meal!
4. Skipping supper.
5. Always know my limit of how much I should weigh.
6. Go on the trampoline/step machine or go for a walk every day, for at least 10 minutes.
7. Always keep myself on the ball.
8. Always remember that I have to eat less than usual.
9. Only have very small breakfasts (I tend to eat quite a lot after breakfast and having a very small but good breakfast can help tremendously).
10. Remember that a diet does not mean go anorexic (but I probably wouldn't anyway as I love my food, but not in a greedy way).

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:43 am

zen_mistress wrote:
Day 11.

Well I made myself another fruit smoothie this morning- kiwifruit, raspberries and blueberries with spirulina powder. But when I blended this all it turned black.

So I ended up having black mush for breakfast, a first in my lifetime. It kind of looked like crude oil, or the mud you get at the bottom of a bog. So, I just thought I would warn anyone who has any idea to attempt to make a spirulina smoothie, it is best to make it with banana because it will taste a lot better and not look quite as odd.

Anyway I havent lost any further pounds since last entry. Perhaps later this week I will.

I'm not sure what spirulina is, but the rest of the ingredients sound like they make a perfect smoothie. :)

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

traveller011212
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2008, 10:30 pm

Drink a glass of water right when you get up and before every meal. Eat poultry and other lean meats as nuts have a considerable amount of fat (though good fat so don't shun completely).

Make sure that you get your protein and nutrients. Also, make sure you get your vitamins and fiber. The diet overall does sound like you should achieve your goals though. Some other tips, do some cardio in the morning after a glass of water and prior to eating (10 - 20 min) and don't eat any carbs after 8pm. Make sure that you do eat carbs right after any rigorous exercise to restore glycogen in your muscles. If not you will be too tired to work out.

Make sure you never go below 1200 cal/ day. A 500 cal debt should help you lose about a pound a week (3500 cal/ lbs).

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 10:42 pm

mightyzebra wrote:

I'm not sure what spirulina is, but the rest of the ingredients sound like they make a perfect smoothie. :)

Thanks MightyZebra, your suggestions are pretty good.. that is what I will need to focus on now, maintenance.

And thanks Traveller, also some good tips, particularly the one about no carbs after 8pm.

As for spirulina, it is a green seaweedy powder, it is said to be a superfood and be rich in many vitamins and nutrients. An immensely healthy food, but like many immensely healthy foods, the taste is not its best point. That is why it is good to hide it in a banana smoothie.

Well as for me, Day 12 it is.

And, I have fallen completely off my diet. I have just finished eating a chocolate mint icecream, and it was very good, and I am also eating chocolate. I am a bad bad girl but I guess now I have to pick up the pieces.

I lost another pound this morning so that means I have lost 4 out of 6 pounds I aimed to lose. A case of Near Enough is Good Enough? Perhaps.

But I have decided to go off the diet and instead take up yoga. I never could stick to anything for more than 2 weeks anyway. But I still will eat as healthily as I can.

Taking a break.

rjay09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2008, 3:37 pm

You're not bad; you're just human. Congratulations on the weight lost! :D

More important than the weight lost: what have you gained and learned?

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 5:55 pm

rjay09 wrote:
You're not bad; you're just human. Congratulations on the weight lost! :D

More important than the weight lost: what have you gained and learned?

Thanks for the supportive message! As for what I have gained and learned, well I am not really sure.

One thing that triggered yesterday's binge was receiving a photo of me via email from my ex who I visited in May. It was a photo of me with an old friend who was holding his new baby. I looked happy in the photo and actually looked quite nice, despite being 14 pounds overweight.

This confused me, and I realised that what I had been chasing was happiness and good health, which I had then but don't have now for various reasons, even though I have lost most of the weight. But when I look in the mirror these days I look tired and unhappy.

I dont know. But I feel like I am seeking good health and eventually I will feel the way I want to feel if I persist at it.

So, I am still on a more toned down version of my diet. I have bought some gluten-free bread, and I will have no more chocolate from tomorrow. I think another thing i need to do is buy some clothes for myself- and I am going to phone the aspergers/autism centre and see if they have counsellors working for them.

Taking a break.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 3:12 am

Well I am post-diet and have kept the four pounds off so far. I have been eating the gluten-free bread, and it is quite odd, very heavy and sort of sticks to the roof of my mouth like peanut butter. But I am getting used to it. It helps to toast it...lol.

So, I guess I have to think of the next phase of things. Something I read from my detox book made sense- it said that it is good to eat healthily 80% of the time and eat not so healthy things 20% of the time. I think that is a good rule to live by as it is very hard to be a perfect angel throughout life.

Meanwhile I still am trying to include a lot of fruit and vegetables in my diet.

But I want to thank everyone here for all your support throughout this diet, and your helpful messages...

C
~

Taking a break.