Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2008, 11:04 pm

I like balloons. However when they pop, it is loud.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2008, 11:48 pm

I hate it. I remember in sixth grade we had a school dance, and a bunch of balloons were dropped from the ceilings. Kids were jumping on them, and I didn't know why but I jumped every time and I really wanted to cry. I always get very nervous when someone looks like they might, on purpose or accidentally, pop a balloon. Yay hypersensitivity to noise. :roll:

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 1:51 am

Balloons scare the piss out of me.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 5:29 am

Ryn wrote:
Kids were jumping on them, and I didn't know why but I jumped every time and I really wanted to cry. I always get very nervous when someone looks like they might, on purpose or accidentally, pop a balloon. Yay hypersensitivity to noise. :roll:

Yeah, me too.
When inflated (and unlikely to burst with explosive noise), they're fun to watch bobbing around (or floating, if helium-filled). However, can't stand the sudden, jarring, fear/panic/anxiety-inducing experience of abrupt, "sharp", "threatening-to-me" sounds, despite knowing intellectually there's no danger posed by them.

Similar to how I feel about people who inflate & then pop bags (whether paper or plastic). Ouch. Makes me flinch every time.

By the way-
Popping "bubblewrap" is different, for me: it's small-scale (incremental), controlled, and not overwhelming-though if someone else (instead of me) were doing it, I'd probably get annoyed & aggravated pretty quick. Suppose some of it's about choice, being the one making the noise-if it's volitional, rather than imposed upon me by some outside (unanticipatable) force.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 5:30 am

i think its normal that if a balloon pops its a hard sound doesnt have to do with our oversensitive
hearing or atleast not that much because NTs are also botherd by this sound
(or atleast thats what i think because i really think a balloon wich explode is a hellsound)

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 2:50 pm

I head butted one once ...

it popped ....

<- with hair like this I'm not surprised :lol:

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 2:53 pm

yeah, I hate that, it makes me jump even more that my toaster.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 2:58 pm

I don't like the balloon pop I'm too jittery. I like those myler (?) balloons that are nearly impossible to break.

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2008, 4:40 pm

I hate balloon pops, they scare the crap out of me. That and popping closed ziploc bags with air in them. Back when I went to school there were always a few kids in class who thought it was the coolest thing to pop balloons and air filled ziploc bags. And no, these kids weren't NT either. :?

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 5:57 pm

The sound of a balloon popping makes me leap like a frog. It usually takes a little while for the nerves to settle back down and the heart to stop pounding so hard. And someone popping a paper bag has the same effect.