Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:38 pm

So this has been annoying me lately: I want to be a fashion designer (seriously, I'm going to school and getting a Bachelor's degree in it and everything) and whenever I tell people this the question I always get is :

"Oh, are you going to be on Project Runway?"

Don't get me wrong, I do like the show, but there is certainly more to Fashion design than Project Runway, and it's what EVERYONE asks me. Yes, there is a REAL fashion world out there where REAL designers get REAL work and don't have to make a couture gown in 18 hours. I know many people see the show as a big break for many designers, but honestly, I don't want to be famous, I just want to be able to feed myself and pay my bills by doing something I love - is this a difficult concept to understand?

Who else thinks that reality TV is distorting our view of reality? While it may involve real work, Project Runway is just a REALITY TV SHOW WITH SET OBSTACLES AND OBJECTIVES. Real life isn't always like that, and so few people who attempt to will actually get on the show. It's not a goal for every fashion designer out there, people need to understand this.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 7:03 am

ok,
when people , like me who know nothing about fashion or design hear that someone like you is into fashion and is studying fashion, there is a tendency to attempt to make small talk ( remember most peopl ehere are As and are trying to learn adaptive skills and behaviour to get by in a non-As world)

is i wasnt diagnosed with AS and exhibited a lot of my adolescent maladaptive As behaviour my automatic response may have been " so what i dont care"

people who dont understand fashion may have only a limited connection with fashion and this may be through the show
" project runway"
this is why you get it a lot.

also there is an As theory of mind issue going in here.............we as AS tend to think that because WE KNOW ABOUT SOMETHING , THEN EVERYONE ELSE ALSO SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IT, most As make this incorrect presumption about others, and it also explains , in part why a lot of As dont lie ( she knows whats in my head so i wont lie)

So people who dont know about fashion , despite what you do know, arent automatically indoctrinated with your knowledge.
i know i do this as well, and it is my attempt at trying to rationalise and explain some of the behaviour you observe in others and is not a critiscism or insult levelled at you or your views.

i hope this helps you

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 6:41 pm

donkey wrote:
ok,
when people , like me who know nothing about fashion or design hear that someone like you is into fashion and is studying fashion, there is a tendency to attempt to make small talk ( remember most peopl ehere are As and are trying to learn adaptive skills and behaviour to get by in a non-As world)

is i wasnt diagnosed with AS and exhibited a lot of my adolescent maladaptive As behaviour my automatic response may have been " so what i dont care"

people who dont understand fashion may have only a limited connection with fashion and this may be through the show
" project runway"
this is why you get it a lot.

also there is an As theory of mind issue going in here.............we as AS tend to think that because WE KNOW ABOUT SOMETHING , THEN EVERYONE ELSE ALSO SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IT, most As make this incorrect presumption about others, and it also explains , in part why a lot of As dont lie ( she knows whats in my head so i wont lie)

So people who dont know about fashion , despite what you do know, arent automatically indoctrinated with your knowledge.
i know i do this as well, and it is my attempt at trying to rationalise and explain some of the behaviour you observe in others and is not a critiscism or insult levelled at you or your views.

i hope this helps you

thanks, this does help. I did suspect it a lot, but it just concerns me that they won't ask me what kind of job I'd like in the fashion industry (which would actually generate a much larger amount of small talk), just instead if I want to be on Project Runway, nothing else. My sister, who doesn't have AS, kept getting asked if she was going to audition for American Idol when she was in high school, just because she has a good singing voice. I've seen dancers be asked if they've auditioned for So You Think You Can Dance... it's the same thing.

I'm just saying there's more to an art form than the television show it's associated with. Thank you for your contribution, though! I can definitely see how this would be an issue for someone like me, this has happened before with many other subjects besides fashion. Something to work on, right?

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 7:26 pm

Haha, I understand that one all too well. When I decided to major in anthropology, everyone asked when I was going to go on a dig. Ohhhh, don't get me started with my "not everyone can be Indiana Jones" spiel.

It was so dumb. When I had to explain what anthropology actually is to one of my country aunt or uncle (no offense intended, but I was like the second person in generations of extended family to go to college) - it was like trying to teach Latin to a hedgehog. And I had to do it about twelve thousand times.

And THEN it was like "it's the study of PEOPLE? Well, why do you have to go to college for that? Couldn't you do that working at Wal-Mart?" Indeed.

So I understand. Completely.

In retrospect, it's funny.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 3:15 am

i am Australian and i live and work in Europe.
everyday, around 6 times a dya i get the "Australian chit chat"
where you from, how long you been gere...blah blah blah.

prior to diagnosis, i usd to get annoyed with these people. i expected them to "know" that i get asked this a lot and have to give the same answers 6 times a day.

If i met someone who was very very tal for example i would "know" enough not to comment on this observation.

but people do it, every day.

i have grown and learned to accept it that not everyone is lik eme. not everyone has the same theory of mind as me and they just dont " know" i get asked this 6 times a day. it is more important for them to make small talk than to consider how often i get asked this. once i realised this, i bacame a lot easier to deal with.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 7:25 am

idiots think the wrolds revolves around those shows