Page 6 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:24 pm

rdos wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
rdos wrote:
I'd think it would be elementary stastics that if you have 12% black balls in a basket, and pull balls thousands of times, you will end up with close to 12% black balls. :roll:

That analogy is very faulty, but it you can't see why, then there's no point in continuing this discussion. We went through all this months ago. Have you ever taken a graduate level, or even a college level statistics class?

Last I checked it was at the MSc level :wink:

Well then, remind me to destroy the facilities you attended - for the sake of future generations. Well, no, that may not be fair... they may simply have passed you to be rid of you sooner, that must be it.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:24 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
New rule: ignore what rdos says.

New rule? I've had that rule for a while. Ever since I couldn't seem to make him understand that the sample of Aspies who take his quiz online aren't necessarily representative of the Aspie population as a whole, especially regarding demographics like race. Statistics: Learn it, live it.

I agree with that. There are all sorts of problems with using a voluntary response survey as "evidence" for a scientific theorum. I also wonder if racial essentialist tripe like this coming from the aspie community don't alienate aspies of African descent. Besides, most African-Americans have some white ancestry, anyway, and it's not surprising that people in Africa are less interested in filling out onlines surveys, and/or less able to because of lack of access.

There is one human species. All of us are too genetically similar to each other to be considered separate species in the way that a poodle is a different species than a labrador. Some suggested reading: The Race Myth by Dr. Joseph Graves. I haven't read all of it yet, but I have heard Dr. Graves speak and he makes a lot of sense.

I'm a biffed why there's this big push to discover a "reason" for the autism spectrum. What is wrong with the explanation that autism is a part of natural human variation? I see it as a bell curve, though perhaps not a normal distribution. I'm sure many of us have relatives who have more autistic traits than "typical," but not extreme enough that it would qualify as any kind of impairment. An autism diagnosis depends on where a particular person chooses to draw the line on the bell curve, but autism is still part of natural variation just as some people are born 6'10" tall and others have dwarfism.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:33 pm

srriv345 wrote:
I agree with that. There are all sorts of problems with using a voluntary response survey as "evidence" for a scientific theorum. I also wonder if racial essentialist tripe like this coming from the aspie community don't alienate aspies of African descent. Besides, most African-Americans have some white ancestry, anyway, and it's not surprising that people in Africa are less interested in filling out onlines surveys, and/or less able to because of lack of access.

The comparison was made in the US, with African Americans, using Asians and American Indians as controls. Results have been replicated seven times, with several years in between.

srriv345 wrote:
Some suggested reading: The Race Myth by Dr. Joseph Graves. I haven't read all of it yet, but I have heard Dr. Graves speak and he makes a lot of sense.

Try Race, Evolution and Behavior by JP Rushton for a different perspective.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:39 pm

Ishmael wrote:
Well then, remind me to destroy the facilities you attended - for the sake of future generations. Well, no, that may not be fair... they may simply have passed you to be rid of you sooner, that must be it.

You don't need to be so emotional about it. Try using the scientific method next time you evaluate the Neanderthal theory :wink:

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:48 pm

Quote:
1% according to Tantam (the dude whose criteria is in the DSM-IV-TR)
some sources say 30%

the divorce rate is over 90% in many places.

(It's well under 0% for Autism.)

i cant believe you missed this one.
this is my favourite quote of the day.

a negative divorce rate in Autism?

not just negative, but well under......
i had a good chuckle.

at this one.

what does it mean?
who do itell?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 2:51 pm

donkey wrote:

A negative divorce rate can mean just one thing, a bogus investigation. :D

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 3:22 pm

donkey wrote:
Quote:
1% according to Tantam (the dude whose criteria is in the DSM-IV-TR)
some sources say 30%

the divorce rate is over 90% in many places.

(It's well under 0% for Autism.)

i cant believe you missed this one.
this is my favourite quote of the day.

not just negative, but well under......
i had a good chuckle.

at this one.

what does it mean?
who do itell?

it was quoted from a reply to another thread , the 0% represents the marriage rate and so the 1% and 30% .

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 3:58 pm

anna-banana wrote:
...there's always a lot in between and extremists will always be a minority. even if you happen to live in US.
Sorry to go off-topic, but define "extremists."
I would say that murdering 3,000 of your own people in broad daylight is extreme, yet the majority supports it.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 4:09 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
...there's always a lot in between and extremists will always be a minority. even if you happen to live in US.
Sorry to go off-topic, but define "extremists."
I would say that murdering 3,000 of your own people in broad daylight is extreme, yet the majority supports it.

I would define extremist as a believer in some concept/theory/ideology who denies all kind of reasoning that doesn't support his concept/theory/ideology

what are you getting at exactly with the example you quoted?

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 4:17 pm

my favourite piece of graffitti:

HANG EXTREMISTS

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 4:18 pm

donkey wrote:

HANG EXTREMISTS

you do realise that the above statement makes YOU a tad extremist...? lol

I hope you were ironising ;p

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 4:25 pm

anna-banana wrote:
What are you getting at exactly with the example you quoted?
Most of the world, outside the US, believes that our own government bombed the world trade center. Most of the families of the victims believe it. 70% of the military believes it. But the major networks and newspapers are not allowed to talk about it. The constitution has been abandoned and we are living under marshal law. Today.

http://www.911blogger.com/node/17338

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 4:35 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
Most of the world, outside the US, believes that our own government bombed the world trade center. Most of the families of the victims believe it. 70% of the military believes it. But the major networks and newspapers are not allowed to talk about it. The constitution has been abandoned and we are living under marshal law. Today.

this sounds very new to me. I see you're a believer but please don't project your beliefs on the world's population. I've never met a single person who would support this view seriously and believe me I heard a lot of views from all kinds of people around here (= EU)

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 5:38 pm

anna-banana wrote:
Tahitiii wrote:
anna-banana wrote:

this sounds very new to me. I see you're a believer but please don't project your beliefs on the world's population. I've never met a single person who would support this view seriously and believe me I heard a lot of views from all kinds of people around here (= EU)

go to my thread "The fourth Reich is coming"

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 5:48 pm

Loborojo wrote:

go to my thread "The fourth Reich is coming"

another conspiracy theory thread, thanks but I think I'll pass...

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 5:51 pm

anna-banana wrote:
donkey wrote:

HANG EXTREMISTS

you do realise that the above statement makes YOU a tad extremist...? lol

I hope you were ironising ;p

I think the graffiti itself was meant to be a joke. Like someone who says, "I f-ing hate people who f-ing curse all the f-ing time."