Have your ASD traits got better or worse as you get older?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2008, 2:34 pm

I think socially I am a lot better off and even with empathy I have improved. But I still have a lot of stims, meltdowns, shut downs and sensory issues that have got worse. I blame it on stress. But I think as I mature I will get better with my AS traits, what do you think?

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 2:57 pm

i think the behaviour does and CAN become self limting and have less of an obvious impact as we age.

we learn adaptive skills and these are, like many things, better with a function of time.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 3:15 pm

I think I mask them better, but they are the same.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 3:22 pm

claire333 wrote:
I think I mask them better, but they are the same.

AS wont change.

how we react/respond to it CAN change.

this is the point, this is ALL YOU NEED TO DO.

dont try and change AS.
just change how you respond to it.
takes time and practice and patience, but all good things do.

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 3:23 pm

im not sure about that. im more social now. but olso my beliefs are more antisocial. i will rull the world.

8)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 3:28 pm

I do much better in social situations than before. But my dyslexia is worse, it's a struggle to keyboard at 30 WPM. I don't react to things like I used to, much calmer. But still very sensitive to pain.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 3:28 pm

I've been getting better and better ever since diagnosis. But then I'm not that old.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 3:29 pm

HD3H wrote:
im not sure about that. im more social now. but olso my beliefs are more antisocial. i will rull the world.

8)

sorry master you are right.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2008, 3:31 pm

I think I've become a little more wiser and experienced, realized certain things, and developed my "external apparatus" better over time. Also, discovering AS has really pinned down a lot of definitive strengths and weaknesses that I now keep in mind.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2008, 4:02 pm

I've gotten better since childhood in every aspect except for sensory issues, which I think are actually worse.

I've also developed anxiety, which I think is a comorbid of my ASD.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 4:03 pm

Both. Some things have gotten better with age, some have gotten worse. As a kid, I was extremely extroverted and bold, to the point of it being socially inappropriate. Now, I'm introverted and quiet, so that's been improved. Also, as a kid, I was very, very eccentric and quirky, so I got teased a lot. By age 13, I learned to control my quirkiness around people I don't know well, so I wouldn't stick out as much. For something that's gotten worse, it's definitely the intensity of the "special interests." My childhood "special interests" weren't anything like the "special interests" I have had since age 12. I've gotten better about giving droning monologues about my "special interests," though. And some traits have stayed the same. My sensory issues are just as severe as they were when I was a kid, and I still have extreme reactions to change/lack of routine. But, all in all, my AS traits have remained consistent throughout my life.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 5:09 pm

I've learned to hide my interests better. Even when I was in high school when I was fascinated with Pokemon, I couldn't help doing things such as drawing them on the chalkboards and stuff! Even in college I was a bit too obvious with my obsessions, but I'm learning to tone it down and who to tell about my interests and who not to tell.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2008, 6:24 pm

I think it's gotten better for me, inasmuch as I am a lot kinder to myself for my AS shortcomings. Before, when I didn't know about the AS, I was pretty damn harsh on myself. I kept pushing myself in directions that were meaningless, trying to "fit in." Now, if it makes me uncomfortable and seems meaningless, I will avoid it.
And I have more moments of empathy, but alas, I don't expect any drastic changes in that direction.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Sep 2008, 6:43 pm

Whether they existed or not, they completely disappeared around when I was 10.
I never really had bad sensitivity problems or anything like that.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:43 pm

better in some ways, worse in others. Can relate to the 'sydlexia'; I tend to favor my left hand.

On the other hand, now knowing what's going on, I can compensate for some of the traits, and I think I'm doing better.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:46 pm

Some things I have improved in, some things have stayed the same, & in other things I have gotten worse.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive