95-112 (possible alexithemia) 15%  15%  [ 39 ]
113+ (alexithemia) 76%  76%  [ 203 ]
Total votes : 267

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 5:58 am

http://oaq.blogspot.com/

(Seems to be a blogger account set up especially for the questionnaire lol)

The button doesn't seem to work for me. If it doesn't, just score it using the system at the bottom.

I got 117.

EDIT: Don't forget to put your result in the poll too!

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Last edited by Greyhound on 30 Sep 2008, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 6:33 am

I had 145, looks like I might have it. there's nothing wrong with my imaginative process though (quite the contrary actually- daydreaming is my main activity ;p) so I'm quite confused about it...

Last edited by anna-banana on 30 Sep 2008, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 6:36 am

It's a part of ASDs for the most part.

From its Wikipedia Page (it's cited):

Quote:
Research indicates that alexithymia overlaps with Asperger syndrome. In a 2004 study, Uta Frith reported an overlap and that at least half of the Asperger syndrome group obtained scores on the Toronto Alexithymia Scale (TAS-20) that would classify them as severely impaired.

Last edited by Danielismyname on 30 Sep 2008, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2008, 6:37 am

124, if I did the scoring right (button didn't work for me either).

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2008, 7:40 am

Angry or elated mostly, serious difficulty verbalising feelings, end up riddling. Once told (by someone I actually cared for) he would like to "Get inside my head and fix it." *Insert profanity.

Last edited by Jenk on 30 Sep 2008, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 7:47 am

Wow! what's that? A new disorder? Let me guess....are they already selling non-curing many drugs for it?

Last edited by LePetitPrince on 30 Sep 2008, 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 7:51 am

Nah, it's a personality trait (normal variant), rather than a disorder.

Hans Asperger thought his disorder was of this type of normal variant (even with the cases he lists, where many are "severe").

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 7:54 am

Btw...that test won't work for most males because most males are raised to hide their feeling ,to avoid talking about it ....and even sometimes to lie about it. Even most NT men would answer as 'I agree" in the first question.

The first 5 questions are useless for men and so the whole result would be biased...

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 7:55 am

LePetitPrince wrote:
Btw...that test won't work for most males because most males are raised to hide their feeling ,to avoid talking about it ....and even sometimes to lie about it. Even most NT men would answer as 'I agree" in the first question.

The first 5 questions are useless for men.

you live in a macho'ed culture though, most western (if you might call them that...) men I know don't have a problem with this.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2008, 7:56 am

172 however I don't feel I have any imagination problems. I don't think anyway..

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 8:07 am

LePetitPrince wrote:

There's a difference between being taught to hide feelings from others and not being able to feel or describe your feelings.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 8:15 am

Greyhound wrote:
There's a difference between being taught to hide feelings from others and not being able to feel or describe your feelings.

Yep. I can recognize happiness and love, but that's it. So, I don't know how I'm feeling most times.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 8:16 am

i got 116 ...so what?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 10:40 am

:? I don't really think that test measures alexithymia exclusively, there are too many other things that can muddle up the test results.

Quote:
F1 - Difficulty Identifying Feelings

-When asked which emotion I'm feeling, I frequently don't know the answer.

This could be because of difficulty understanding what you're feeling, or because of general language difficulties that are not restricted to feelings.

Quote:
-I have puzzling physical sensations that even friends/acquaintances/others don't understand.

This can apply to people with any of a number of physical conditions that produce sensations outside the norm. For instance, the kind of pain disorder I have, which produces nerve pain, often produces a sensation that is icy cold while feeling like it burns. Very few people understand that sensation or other sensations involved.

And people with that condition, me included, often have an overlay of burning or burning-ice sensations over where we would otherwise feel localized pain or discomfort. So for instance for a long time I felt like there was a huge flat spot on my back that felt that way. It turned out to be a combination of heartburn and gallbladder problems, interacting with the nerve pain condition in a way that produced more spread-out sensations. (The spread-out sensations resolved with treatment so that now I can feel more local pain, although I still have trouble locating pain when I feel it.)

I am certain that this is not the only physical condition that produces strange sensations most people wouldn't understand, either.

Quote:
-When I am upset I find it difficult to identify the feelings causing it.

Sometimes it is not feelings that cause being upset, but actual events that make a person upset.

Quote:
-I sometimes experience confusing sensations in my body

See what I wrote above about physical conditions.

Quote:
-I can't identify feelings that I vaguely sense are going on inside of me.

Again, see above.

Quote:
-When involved in difficult or turbulent relationships, I sometimes develop confusing physical symptoms.

So do a lot of people without alexithymia, there are physical responses the body has to stress, after all.

Quote:
F2- Difficulty Describing Feelings

-I’m unsure of which words to use when describing my feelings.

This can be a general language problem rather than a feeling-specific problem, or even a specific problem that is far wider than just emotions.

Quote:
-I can describe my emotions with ease.

-Describing the feelings I have about other people is often difficult.

-I get in a muddle when I try to describe how I feel about an important event.

See above.

Quote:
F2b- Vicarious interpretation of feelings

-I often ask other people what they would feel if in my personal situation (any situation), as this better helps me understand what to do.

See above, can be a language problem.

Quote:
-I tend to rely on other people for interpreting the emotional details of personal/social events.

-I like it when someone describes the feelings they experience under circumstances similar to my own, because this helps me see what my own feelings might be.

Again... can be a general language problem.

Quote:
F3- Externally-Oriented Thinking

-I prefer to find out the emotional intricacies of my problems rather than just describe them in terms of practical facts.

-You cannot functionally live your life without being aware of your deepest emotions.

-I prefer doing physical activities with friends rather than discussing each others’ emotional experiences.

-When helping others I prefer to assist with physical tasks rather than offering counsel about their feelings.

- I find it useful to ponder on my feelings as much as the practical issues when setting my priorities.

-I don’t like conversations in which more time is spent discussing emotional matters than daily activities because it detracts from my enjoyment.

-I make decisions based on principles rather than gut feelings.

All of these things can apply to people who just don't have feeling-oriented personalities or grow up in feeling-oriented cultures. Lots of places, these things are just not encouraged, especially for men.

Quote:
F4- Restricted Imaginative Processes

-When other people are hurt or upset, I have difficulty imagining what they are feeling.

This can just be social skills trouble.

Quote:
-People sometimes get upset with me, and I can't imagine why.

So can that.

Quote:
-I am not much of a daydreamer.

Lots of people aren't.

Quote:
-I don't dream frequently, and when I do the dreams usually seem rather boring.

Lots of people don't remember their dreams (which is more the case than "don't dream").

Quote:
-I use my imagination mainly for practical means, eg., like how to work out a problem or construct a useful idea or object.

Lots of people aren't into using their imaginations for non-practical things, entire cultures often have this belief.

Quote:
-My imagination is usually not spontaneous and surprising, but rather used/employed in a more controlled fashion.

-My imagination is often spontaneous, unpredictable and involuntary.

Again... not all people, not even all cultures, value that kind of imagination.

Quote:
F5- Problematic Interpersonal Relationships

-People tell me to describe my feelings more, as if I haven't elaborated enough.

...and lots of people don't "talk about feelings" all the time, without being alexithymic.

Quote:
-People tell me I don't listen to their feelings properly, when in fact I'm doing my utmost to understand what they saying!

This can be a social thing.

Quote:
-I don't like people's constant assumptions that I should understand or guess their needs... its as if they want me to read their minds!

Again... can be social stuff.

Quote:
-Friends have indicated, in one way or another, that I'm more in my head than in my heart.

A very common thing indeed.

Quote:
-Some people have told me I am cold or unresponsive to their needs.

Lots of people have that kind of personality, and/or social skills trouble.

Quote:
-People I've been in close relationships with have complained that I neglect them emotionally.

I've heard this from a lot of completely non-disabled people, particularly men.

Quote:
F5b- Sexual difficulties and disinterest

-Sex as a recreational activity seems pointless.

Asexual people often think that way.

Quote:
-I often get confused about what the other person wants from a sexual relationship.

Can be a social skills thing, or just not liking sex.

Quote:
-I often feel incompetent, awkward, uncomfortable, or occasionally physically sick in sexual situations.

Feeling incompetent or awkward is an incredibly common experience.

Quote:
-For me sex is more a functional activity than it is an emotional one.

Again... the person could be asexual, or good grief a ton of cultures promote that as the view to have on sex.

Basically... this thing can measure so many things other than alexithymia that it's kind of useless. (The thing won't score my answers so I don't know what I got.)

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2008, 11:38 am

Was anyone here asked for an email address and password when submitting the test results?

Does anyone know what's wrong?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 12:16 pm

It didn't work for me, I am thinking its a phishing site.