All generalizations are wrong.

...including this one.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 2:27 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
All generalizations are wrong.

And to generalize is to be an idiot (Zen saying, I think).

both of which are themselves generalizations.

I think of generalizations as linguistic equivalents to mathematical equations, but ones that can act like "equations of everything". I think since no such equation exists in maths (one that truly works in every situation), therefore no generalization is entirely general.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 2:33 am

Generalizations are a useful and convenient way of organizing information when it is inefficient to deal with all available data at once. However, I always think it is important to keep generalizations in perspective and to realize that they must be supported by hard facts and specific examples.

A popular criticism of people who prefer specifics over broad generalizations is that we "can't see the forest for the trees." Well, I assert that the "forest" is not a thing in and of itself- it is only an abstraction, a name we assign to an particular area that helps us to organize what we see more effectively. But in the end, a forest is composed of individual trees.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 8:04 am

Throw the baby out with the bath-water is a good idea when you don't like the baby. It is all social politics.