What attributes and characteristics makes a woman a woman?

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 12:56 am

steelysunshine wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
For a woman to be a woman, she must be cisgendered and proud of her gender and private parts.

That's a pretty mean thing to say. I will give you a minute to figure it out.

i don't think it's serious.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 1:38 am

I am going with the chromosomes on this issue, I am tired of gender issues.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 1:57 am

I think I'm happier just sticking to the term "female." This "woman" term, as something different from female, just annoys me. Anybody who want to be trans-gender in whatever way they wish has my blessing, I sometimes find it a little confusing but it makes life more interesting. Apart from sexual relationships I don't really care what gender anybody is, and I don't much like this idea of womanliness as a generalised social thing.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 6:24 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Sir_Beefy wrote:
Having XX chomosomes. THAT IS IT. NOTHING else. Society is a bunch of crap. If you asked what are typical hobbies of women on this forum, thats different. But society tells us what to think every day, and I don't buy it for a second.

This.

It's genetics. Whether you "feel" your gender is a personal matter.

But there are XX males
'XX_male_syndrome'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XX_male_syndrome

So by this logic, these men are women ?

Quote:
XX male syndrome (also called de la Chapelle syndrome, for Albert de la Chapelle, who characterized it in 1972[1][2]) is a rare sex chromosomal disorder. Usually, it is caused by unequal crossing over between X and Y chromosomes during meiosis in the father, which results in the X chromosome containing the normally-male SRY gene. When this X combines with a normal X from the mother during fertilization, the result is an XX male.

This syndrome occurs in approximately four or five in 100,000 individuals, making it less common than Klinefelter syndrome.[3][4]

By definition 4-5 people out of 100,000 is an aberration, not the norm. I stand by my statement.

For all intents and purposes, you are the gender set by your genetics. We shall accept that there are VERY RARE cases where something unusual happens.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Jul 2015, 7:32 am

This thread is heading into a car crash fast...

Those of you citing sex chromosomes or genitalia - educate yourselves. Those things make you male or female or intersex - they determine your sex. However, they do not make you a woman or man, they do not determine your gender. This is the subject of both considerable scientific study and a huge amount of personal testimony. I'm slightly ashamed that WP seems to have become more transphobic (or at best, more ignorant) in the past 7 years.

Apologies to our trans users for having to put up with this. You shouldn't have to justify your existence to the ignorant. Feel free to report any posts of this nature, particularly ones necroed after seven years.