Elderly women win battle over crab apple tree

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:12 am

Elderly women win battle over crab apple tree

Quote:
SHREWSBURY, Mass. - Two elderly women who tied themselves to a crab apple tree to protest its removal have rescued the tree and saved themselves from eviction.

Lea Perrone, 64, and Pat Henry, 65, spent several days tied to the tree at their elderly housing complex, challenging a decision by the Shrewsbury Housing Authority to cut it down to relocate a trash bin. After their protest, they received eviction notices.

On Monday, Perrone, Henry, and a third woman who was threatened with eviction for violating the complex's policy by keeping a chair on her porch met with Housing Authority members. Their lawyer, Christopher Uhl, said the housing authority agreed not to evict the women and said the crab tree will stay put.

Tenants will also be allowed to keep chairs and other items on their porches, as long as they don't block safe exit. A resident advisory board also will be established.

After the meeting Perrone said she was encouraged, and glad she and her neighbors had taken a public stand. "I hope that everybody involved is going to try to get along, as a whole," she said. "It's not good for the town or anybody to have to live like this."

Housing Authority director Dennis Osborn told reporters after the meeting, "We're all going to work together on this in a new spirit of cooperation."

A final vote is still needed from the Housing Authority's board.

Previous Story:Three ladies face eviction for trying to save crab tree

Quote:
(Jennifer Eagan, NECN: Shrewsbury, MA) - Combined these ladies have lived at the Francis Gardens Senior apartments in Shrewsbury for more than fifty years. But as they found out earlier this week, their days here are numbered.

“When I got eviction notice I almost had a heart attack...so nervous.”

Lea Perrone and Pat Henry raised a stink last week by tying themselves to a crab apple tree inside the complex.

The Shrewsbury housing authority...which owns the property...wanted to cut down the tree and put a dumpster in its place.

“I don't want to smell it...I would never be able to have window open.”

Helen Jar got an eviction notice because she refused to move this chair off her deck.

He wanted me to take a chair in every night and bring it back out every morning...I can't do that I have to use a walker.

The housing authority says the chair is a fire hazard.

As for the crab apple tree...it still stands but pat and lea say they're being bullied by the housing authority director.

Because they protested and Helen didn't cooperate...they've been told they have thirty days to pack up and get out.

The ladies hired a lawyer...and next week they'll head to court to stop the eviction order.

“We just want it to stop to live in peace unless we do something leave us alone.”

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:20 am

das Techno Viking smailes at their vilant efforts.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:41 am

Good for them, standing up for what they believe in!

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 6:44 am

People power wins! YAY