Asperger Syndrome vs. Borderline Personality Disorder

Page 11 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

lasirena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2016, 5:15 pm

^ I don't think anyone really implied that. I think causation is a hard thing to determine.
I think it's similar to how Bruno Bettleheim observed that autistic children had similar patterns of behavior to people held prisoner in a nazi concentration camp.
He was correct in thinking those children found the world stressful, wrong in thinking it was caused by "refrigerator mothers".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 6:33 pm

I get you.

And you see autistic-type behaviors among children in Romanian orphanages (based on film produced, I believe, in the 1990s).

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 2:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Whoever said AS could lead to BPD has rocks in his/her head.

We know that :

People with Autism are more likely than others to be subjected to neglect & abuse during childhood
Borderline Personality Disorder typically develops as a consequence of neglect or abuse during childhood

Therefore, people with Autism are more likely to develop symptoms of BPD than people without Autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 6:58 pm

But the autism itself doesn't cause the BPD.

Yes, of course autistic people could get abused in childhood, and perhaps develop symptoms of BPD.

So can non-autistic people, obviously.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 1:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
But the autism itself doesn't cause the BPD.

Yes, of course autistic people could get abused in childhood, and perhaps develop symptoms of BPD.

So can non-autistic people, obviously.

My point is that there is a genuine correlation between Autism and BPD, albeit an indirect one.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 8:20 am

I guess there could be an indirect correlation.

Something to watch out for.

But definitely not an inevitability.

marlyn morgan
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Oct 2018, 5:51 am

autism can be non verbal; aspergers is not, although there maybe overpowering emotional shut down of speech in the latter.

marlyn morgan
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Oct 2018, 6:13 am

Quote:
They are almost mirror images of each other. Most people with AS are men, while most people with BPD are women. People with AS have trouble relating to the world logically, whereas people with BPD have trouble relating to the world emotionally. Both aspies and people with BPD have meltdowns when they feel like they are spinning out of control.

I like Paul Isaac's Blog Doing versus Being. Image
I would ponder all this with my best mate called my highly volatile husband 'emotionally intelligent'. He was likely BPD but he was an older version of BPD with years of experience of living with his emotional rollercoaster. I was, I suppose, 'intellectually intelligent' being an older version of Aspergers (Dx). Ok his emotional extremes would set my aspie meltdown off like chucking a hot ember into a box of fireworks ! But in day to day life, he taught me emotional intelligence and I taught him how to be rational and patient. Like Captain Kirk and Spock. We were a great team.
Why did we buck the trend? and swap the male female roles? Cos of our upbringing (I was brought up by my classical apsergers father, he by a fiery mother) and because he had an outlet for his passion being a brilliant musician. I'm an academic scientist. To be fair I probably have BPD but nothing like his. He probably had ADHD. I feel its helpful to play around with these boxes if we treat them like Venn Diagrams.