Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 6:02 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
All people should starve, as there is no connection between eating and staying alive.

And I'm right, because after all, thats my opinion, and opinions can't be wrong :wink:

Good example. I figure there's two kinds of opinions. There's one's own taste. And there's opinions about what the facts are. Sometimes it's not clear which a statement is. If I say "The Beatles are the greatest rock band ever" does that mean the Beatles are my favorite band, or does that mean I think that in some sort of objective sense, the Beatles are the greatest, regardless of if I personally like them? With the later type of opinion, some things are open to debate (or are the Rolling Stones the greatest rock band ever), some are pretty much settled matters (the sky is blue on a clear day).

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 6:08 pm

Well, y'know, there are the non-romantic asexuals like me. I don't want romance at all; I would much prefer friendships only, and have no gender preference. Which would make me a-romantic bi-asexual. What a mouthful, and don't even get me started on being impossible to squish into either gender-stereotype! I guess maybe when I get older, middle age or more, I might want a roommate who's also asexual, just for the company; but for now, I'm content being and living alone.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

cas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2008, 5:59 am

MR wrote:
Triangular_Trees wrote:
All people should starve, as there is no connection between eating and staying alive.

And I'm right, because after all, thats my opinion, and opinions can't be wrong :wink:

Good example. I figure there's two kinds of opinions. There's one's own taste. And there's opinions about what the facts are. Sometimes it's not clear which a statement is. If I say "The Beatles are the greatest rock band ever" does that mean the Beatles are my favorite band, or does that mean I think that in some sort of objective sense, the Beatles are the greatest, regardless of if I personally like them? With the later type of opinion, some things are open to debate (or are the Rolling Stones the greatest rock band ever), some are pretty much settled matters (the sky is blue on a clear day).

I agree. Opinions can be right or wrong because many of them are tied to things that are real and not just taste, I don't think this is a stupid thing to say at all!

I'm not asexual and have even had some dates but have had no luck making relationships last. I think it's harder to date outside of woman + man because there are fewer people who might be interested, and you have to say that you're interested because it isn't assumed. (I don't know when it's appropriate to state my sexuality, though that's not only an autistic problem.) But women I think are easier to talk to, they're more likely to overlook my trouble with communication, and less likely to start seeing me as "little sister" instead of romantic prospect.

Callista, sorry that you've had trouble being taken seriously. What you say makes a lot of sense to me, and I think must be less rare than it seems from what people declare.

ryry85
Raven
Raven

11 Oct 2008, 8:09 am

what does that acronym stand for?

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

11 Oct 2008, 8:21 am

Maybe the "A" is for "Aspies" :lol:

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 10:47 am

ryry85 wrote:
what does that acronym stand for?

L is for Lesbian, G is for Gay, B is for Bisexual, T is for either Transgendered or Transsexual and I just found out from MR's post on page 1 that the Q means Questioning.

MR's post is 7th from the top on page 1 of this thread, BTW.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 10:54 am

Actually, what I was looking that I got that from (I'd know in general what the other letters referred to, but not specifically), Q can also refer to "queer" but if that as a meaning other than "gay", I'm not familiar with it.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 11:22 am

Oh, thanks, MR. Q has me kind of stumped, too. :D I don't think "queer" is different from "gay", either. Maybe "queen" for cross-dressers? That's kind of a stretch, though.

Anybody willing to enlighten me on this?

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 12:44 pm

Quote:
I agree. Opinions can be right or wrong because many of them are tied to things that are real and not just taste, I don't think this is a stupid thing to say at all!

:roll:

cas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2008, 7:04 pm

Why are you rolling your eyes? I don't understand why you think my comment in particular is "stupid" yet have no contempt stated for the similar comments.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 7:50 pm

KaliMa wrote:
Oh, thanks, MR. Q has me kind of stumped, too. :D I don't think "queer" is different from "gay", either. Maybe "queen" for cross-dressers? That's kind of a stretch, though.

If it stands for queer, than it most likely stands for genderqueer, which is pretty much the same as the term transgendered - it applies to everyone who doesn't fit into their society's mold of what the gender stereotype for their sex

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 8:26 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
I can certainly relate to being asexual, the drug-induced kind. Anti-depressants have all but erased my sex drive or any inclination to fix it. Makes for a very frustrated partner who just last night got the brush. So I've been feeling guilty all day about not "responding" favorably to his advances. *sigh*
Asexual and low/no sex drive are by no means the same.

Asexuality has to do with lack of sexual attraction. The physical drive to have sex can still be there.

There is some good information here.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 8:14 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
KaliMa wrote:

If it stands for queer, than it most likely stands for genderqueer, which is pretty much the same as the term transgendered - it applies to everyone who doesn't fit into their society's mold of what the gender stereotype for their sex

Transgendered and not fitting the gender stereotype for one's sex are not the same thing.

Although, there are degrees of not fitting the stereotype, so maybe you meant that differently than I'm reading it. But as someone who's definitely not a female stereotype and also not transgender, I found that statement equating the two odd.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 9:05 am

And the mystery of Q continues!

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 11:13 am

KaliMa wrote:
And the mystery of Q continues!

Sounds like a Star Trek reference. :)

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2008, 11:31 am

I don't know if AS is the new gay.

I've had a few gay friends and I've always felt very comfortable around them like we share something, maybe it's our shared outer-ness.

I think it's easier to have Asperger's. You don't have (as many) people saying you chose this lifestyle for yourself. There's nothing in the Bible about Aspies. And we can get married everywhere (as far as I know).

Downside is we actually dress worse than other people most of the time. :wink: