Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

10 Oct 2008, 7:56 pm

Sometimes people ask me if my boyfriend has Aspergers.

A doctor and my new one asked me, even my new therapist, if my bf has it and I said "I don't know" because he has brain damage so it's hard to tell if his problems are caused by it or if he really does have AS symptoms. I say he has a similar condition.

I wonder if I am being asked this because I have AS and I have a relationship so they wonder if my partner has it too. Then that would explain to them "Oh, no wonder she's got one."

Has anyone ever been asked if your partner or spouse has it?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 9:03 pm

That sounds about right. I thought you had something else (thats what your profile says) :/ Nobody has asked me before, though.

10 Oct 2008, 9:13 pm

AS/PDD-NOS.

I don't quite meet the AS criteria because I had a speech delay and development delay but got diagnosed with AS anyway. I only met five in the AS criteria but my mother says I meet more sometimes and I slip on and off the criteria.

So I should have been diagnosed with PDD-NOS but I dunno why I was given the AS diagnoses instead. The psychiatrist said it was the closest he could come to for a diagnoses but what about PDD-NOS? Did he not know about that? Maybe if he gave me that instead, it would have given my school the power to put me in a class with violent kids. They wanted to do that to me because I was always getting in fights with my bullies. Or my development delay was blamed on my hearing loss so he dropped that part from the criteria for me and I would have developed normally if I didn't lose my hearing.

The AS diagnoses was also to give me the education I needed.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 9:13 pm

It doesn't strike me as odd that mental-health professionals might ask you that. People with certain diagnoses are well-known for partnering with and marrying others with the same or a related dx. This phenomenon interests shrinks.

I'd think it was weird if random people asked you that, but not doctors, therapists, or folks hanging out down at the mental health clinic.

10 Oct 2008, 9:22 pm

My online friends have asked me that too only because I told them about him and his past.

But my ex asked me without knowing anything about him. Maybe he had been reading my posts on here about my new bf so that's how he knew and made him wonder.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:02 pm

It was sorta brought up in my AS evaluation...when I was asked about relationships...and I said that that was an area where I haven't had mcuh trouble.
She asked me what Flakey was like....so I said he was childlike and impulsive and has a hard time dating neurotypical women because they beat him up...

I don't know whether he has AS, but he is definitely not exactly neurotypical..and I talked about the stress of being a person with executive dysfunctions paired up with another person with executive dysfunctions...etc...stressful comedy....

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:51 pm

Well, some seem to think people with AS have brain damage.

A little off THAT topic, I am surprised nobody ever said anything to me, outside of my first school asking for me to see a psychiatrist, THAT was never brought up. Some classes are SHOCKED that I don't seem to understand something everyone else does and other times I clearly understand things nobody else does. The lack of a social life, staying in very cold areas, and lack of an interest in sports also stand out. I also have an odd posture, etc... They made fun, bullied, and made comments or expressions, but never suggested a mental condition.