Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Miss_Skitty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jun 2017, 11:51 am

I think I come across as ditzy sometimes too because I can be a bit dopey, clumsy and slow to get jokes :P

JamiLynn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2017, 7:39 pm

Sometimes I feel like a ditz. To others I might seem silly, quirky, odd, or weird, but I haven't been verbally called a ditz.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2017, 6:24 pm

Beenthere wrote:
Quote:
do you forget what words you're choosing while speaking to new people, or forget what you are talking about mid-sentence? not to say i'm great with words, but i am far more articulate in text, as in while typing, then while speaking in a real-life conversation, and i am easily distracted by other things going on where the conversation is taking place or other random thoughts that pop into my head, and often times i accidently vocalise them.
do you easily get lost in your own neighborhood? do you not know your own phone number?
in high school someone made me a character in their comic strip and i was deemed "easily amused girl". all my character did was watch shiny things spinning around.

Yep, that's me! :lol: They called me "cloudnine" in school...because basically I was always out there...mentally on a cloud somewhere. I can fix things, remember strings of facts, memorize lists of numbers...just don't ask me hard things like my SS#, phone number, someone's name I've known for years, or what I ate for lunch. I get distracted very easily and forget things, usually very simple things, it comes back when I'm no longer distracted, or I'm alone...but it's so embarrassing when it happens.

Shiny spinning stuff, that or flashing lights...give me a flashlight and I'll sit and play with it...Christmas lights are a major distraction for me, love them though. 8O

The list of basic things that are inexplicably, ridiculously hard for me to remember include:
• someone's name I have known for years,
• someone's name I was just introduced to,
• someone's face I have known for years,
• someone's face I just saw,
• my birthdate,
• the current year or month or day,
• my age, in relation to personal historic events or current,
• anyone else's birthday or age,
• my past or current addresses,
• my e-mail address (it is based on my own name)
• my phone number,
• my password,
• what my daily routine includes,
• whether or not I brushed my teeth, or
• what I ate for breakfast this morning...

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:27 pm

It seems they do because of my voice, speech patterns and the way I look. People who don't know me personally tend to talk down to me and treat me like I'm stupid. I also look way younger than I am (I'm 29) and often have people my age and older talk to me like they are above me and treat me like an inexperienced teen.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 5:13 am

Either I'm a ditz who is annoying, the kind people would rather avoid and ditch for forgetting too often, or asking stupid questions.
Or a ditz people like to amuse with which I'm sure it has something to do with being older than I looked... And possibly whatever charm I have is thrown into.

Or not at all, which kinda scares the crap out of people for looking too serious or moody... Which is the kind of face one shouldn't show to their boss and coworkers...
Or looking high and cranky like. :lol: Which kinda creeps out of people. Good for staving social invitations, trolls and perverts off the streets by the way. :twisted:

Whatever. People can't make up their mind, and are usually surprised just because my demeanor changed time after time. I don't have a 'mask'. If I have one, it's just as inconsistent as my emotional, mental, and physical states.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2017, 5:39 pm

I drew a major blank on a person's name the other day. I knew this person for years and worked closely with her. I eventually remembered the name, but it was scary. Remembering names is a strong point for me.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 9:09 am

Not a ditz......just irrelevant to the NT world.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 9:52 am

I'm a man. I've been called a "ditz" a few times.

silvercoyote
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2017, 8:07 pm

Usually when I head ditz or airhead I think of the women who are bubbly, perky, and have higher pitched voices. The valley girl types. I have more of a deep voice and I'm very monotone. But I know people have perceived me as ditzy because I'm so clueless and oblivious. Sometimes at work when someone tells me something, especially when they give me some kind of instructions or directions I will repeat part of what they said in the form of a question just to make sure I heard them right.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:17 pm

I'm seen more like an absent minded professor. People tend to regard me as articulate and cerebral so they are totally baffled at how inept I am in so many ways.

Despite my extensive knowledge on many things (mostly special interests) I am rubbish at remembering day to day stuff. Man, I lost my job because I kept forgetting stuff I was doing, even though it was routine (I have ADHD as well, which doesn't help). Some people think I'm intentionally being lazy because they can't understand why a smart, educated person could be so useless at learning a bunch of routine tasks.

What's weirder is that people's first impression of me is of someone who is responsible and stable. At least someone told me that recently, which really surprised me because I am a mess most of the time. I guess that's why people are so shocked when they see just how scared, clueless and fragile I really am.

krustykrabpunx
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2018, 7:11 pm

Gawd, I hear you on this one!
I'll be honest, I'm still hard on myself for not being one of those "autistic super geniuses." Even though I was relieved once I got diagnosed with ASD because I knew it meant that I wasn't "stupid," I am told in some way or another every time autism is mentioned on the tv or in daily conversations that autistic people are either wildly successful physicists or brain surgeons with sky-high IQs or they're "helpless." And of course, with them, there's no in-between. Obviously, that isn't true, but I'd be lying if I said I don't internalize that kind of thinking. It also sucks if you're someone like me who has slower processing. Sometimes I just have to tell myself to be patient with myself. Who cares if it takes a little extra time to get everything together? Processing does not reflect the quality of thought. What you have to say is still important.
To clarify, all autistic people of all abilities, no matter what their challenges, has value in this world. Everyone deserves to ask questions and put themselves out there without worrying people are going to think less of them. If I remember correctly, Jessica Simpson actually had a quote that said something along the lines of "dumb is not knowing, ditzy is not being afraid to ask." And let's face it, no matter how "smart" a person is, there's ALWAYS going to be something they don't know or understand.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 3:47 pm

Here's the problem, if I think or say I'm smart, that means I'm the exact opposite. But If I think I'm stupid, then that means I'm a genius. And I'm definitely not a genius. So that must mean I'm smart. But I just said I'm smart, so that must mean I'm barely even average. But admitting I'm even average must mean I shouldn't even know at my age how to recite the alphabet or use the potty!

:doh:

Well, I'm sure most people who actually *know* me don't think I'm a ditz or dumb at all, even if I can't play chess or perform brain surgery. I've been called talented and intelligent in the past because of some of the things I can do or know a lot about. :)

Last night however, I accidentally opened a can of soup instead of chili for the chili-cheese fries I was making by mistake, because I didn't bother paying attention to the label. I knew even then something wasn't right, because when I found the chili afterwards the can was smaller and a removable lid so it didn't even need a can opener. So I must really be dumb. At least I wasn't dumb enough to put chicken noodle soup on french fries! I put the soup in the fridge, and will have it for supper this evening.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:08 pm

Heliobacter20 wrote:
Yah, because I tend to say strange "Ralph Wiguum-isms" at random. Also, I am kind of manic and bouncy but that is because I am bored. People are really surprised when I start talking about gravity wells of complex medical stuff.
I'm a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, crammed in a bufoon.

You sound amazing. I also randomly say Simpsons crap. The younger generation doesn’t get it now.

I’m an intelligent person who sometimes does some really stupid things.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2019, 7:23 am

People who know me well perceive me as intelligent. Yes, it's a given that I'm naive in many areas but there are certain areas I'm knowledgeable in. People who meet me for the first time may assume I'm not very smart based on the way I present, how I stammer when I talk, having slow reaction time and being slow to respond.

It's frustrating being misjudged by other people upon first meeting them. It's also prominent in the workplace because it takes me a lot of time adjusting to a new job. My presenting as naive gets worse when I get anxious and I get more anxious when people talk down to me or see me that way so it's a vicious cycle.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2019, 9:41 am

I know my phone number

Usually I don't get lost in my neighborhood

Nobody told me that I am a "ditz"

Maybe they thought it but didn't tell me

Misconception

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2019, 9:56 am

People don’t think I’m a ditz, but I can be absentminded.

I don’t have the other connotations that go along with that word.