Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Apx
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2010, 1:41 am

Yes. Cellphone number fail; never confident about dates, the current year, my age, address etc. Incessant giggles; sentence failure; um-what's-that-word? someone please buy me a pocket thesaurus; skipping and random dancing; preoccupation with something far, far away. Many people have considered me not only ditzy but stupid.

Female relationships just don't work. I think I upset a lot of women.

Demunicator
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2010, 8:17 pm

Apx wrote:

Female relationships just don't work. I think I upset a lot of women.

I definitely know what you mean. I have had very few female friends in my adult life, because I find it to be significantly more difficult to interpret women than men. Women are too manipulative, and I fall for it every time. Perhaps they're not, either way, its an assumption I make because I truly can't tell what they're thinking/feeling/wanting.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2010, 12:14 am

I have been called many things but ditzy isn't one of them.
I just don't think I am attractive or cute enough for my quirks to be referred to as ditzy.
I'm clumsy, ungraceful, I stutter at times and can be quite oblivious. Usually I get stupid not ditzy.

Mosaicofminds
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2010, 2:27 am

I've definitely been interpreted this way. It doesn't surprise me because when people see someone they normally think of as smart acting clumsy, oblivious, or gullible, they're not going to think AS/NVLD/ADD (unless they're very familiar with those), they're going to think ditz. That goes double if the person is pretty, cheerful, and/or not very self-confident (thus, reminiscent of Bridget Jones). If people know your diagnosis, do they stop calling you ditzy? And do men tend to get "absent-minded professor" instead?

tinmaiden
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2010, 4:59 pm

I have a nickname amongst my acquaintances: "Absent-minded genius." Most of them said that they initially thought I was "not all there" but after they took the time to talk to me, they respected me for my intelligence.

I think AS girls might get labeled "ditzy" at first because they can come across as so sweet and naive.

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 12:19 am

I can be pretty scatterbrained at times because I can sometimes get horrible gaps or lags in my short term memory. Or people think I'm a ditz because of my interests and demeanor--I am sometimes quite excitable.

Cricket2731
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2010, 1:42 pm

I had to get rather sharp with one of my co-workers a while back--reminded her that I'm autistic, NOT ret*d! But as a whole, I would say most (if not all) of my co-workers think I'm scatterbrained and/or ditzy.

CrystalBug
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2010, 3:34 pm

I hope that I am allowed to post in this discussion board since I am not a female...

This is a really cute discussion :)
You guys just made me realize something very interesting. I am going to go post it as a new topic.

higfam2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2010, 12:07 pm

daysleeper wrote:
or is this just me?
a friend recently told me that i ought to work on not projecting myself like an airhead. i know it's what people have assumed of me all my life and i'm not sure if i can really change it, but now i'm wondering if it's just me...

do you forget what words you're choosing while speaking to new people, or forget what you are talking about mid-sentence? not to say i'm great with words, but i am far more articulate in text, as in while typing, then while speaking in a real-life conversation, and i am easily distracted by other things going on where the conversation is taking place or other random thoughts that pop into my head, and often times i accidently vocalise them.
do you easily get lost in your own neighborhood? do you not know your own phone number?
in high school someone made me a character in their comic strip and i was deemed "easily amused girl". all my character did was watch shiny things spinning around.

it's stuff like that i suppose that does it for me, but i don't appreciate being taken for a ditz. does this happen to any of you ladies, or is this totally unrelated to my potential AS?

it also seems other girls just think im mean cos i don't remember their faces and fail to say hello to them when i see them, or rather when they see me, so maybe the ditz thing is just the result of that...

I happens to me all the time! I have been told to my face that I am as dumb as a box of rocks (not sure how dumb that is?). That I could never make it through college ( I maintained a 3.97 GPA, and earned two degrees). The people who say those kind of things are more aquantances than freinds though. The people who know me well will tell you that I am no a ditz. I think what it is is that because of my ASD I have a very short attention span, am a litteral thinker, and have poor short term memory. I cannot remember who most of my customers are, but show me a motor and I can tell you who brought it in, what was wronge with it, and how much the bill was. I tend to relate more to objects than people, go figure? I have been working on the whole saying hello when I notice someone I know passing by. Honestly I don't mean to be rude, I am just so focused on what I am doing, or where I am going that I often do not notice whats going on around me. My Sister say's that I am getting better at not projecting myself as a total air head, so their is hope. Keep working at it, :)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 12:59 am

daysleeper wrote:
or is this just me?
a friend recently told me that i ought to work on not projecting myself like an airhead. i know it's what people have assumed of me all my life and i'm not sure if i can really change it, but now i'm wondering if it's just me...

do you forget what words you're choosing while speaking to new people, or forget what you are talking about mid-sentence? not to say i'm great with words, but i am far more articulate in text, as in while typing, then while speaking in a real-life conversation, and i am easily distracted by other things going on where the conversation is taking place or other random thoughts that pop into my head, and often times i accidently vocalise them.
do you easily get lost in your own neighborhood? do you not know your own phone number?
in high school someone made me a character in their comic strip and i was deemed "easily amused girl". all my character did was watch shiny things spinning around.

it's stuff like that i suppose that does it for me, but i don't appreciate being taken for a ditz. does this happen to any of you ladies, or is this totally unrelated to my potential AS?

it also seems other girls just think im mean cos i don't remember their faces and fail to say hello to them when i see them, or rather when they see me, so maybe the ditz thing is just the result of that...

Most people believe I'm quite verbally articulate, however, these individuals have usually not seen my at my works,and I'm far more articulate with text for various reasons.

If it makes you feel any better, when I meet someone who seems ditzy, I almost immediately speculate that they do have more depth to them and they are just not good at articulating it.

I believe people in general have more depth to them than they initially let on.

JadeEyes
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2011, 12:14 pm

there are people in my life who feel both ways, some think im unnaturally brilliant, and others think i am an ass...

butterflygirl2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 12:40 am

I have always been referred to as ditzy, airhead, bimbo the list goes on its only once people have a serious dicussion with me they get I am far from some bimbo blonde ... but than again as a child I ' day dreamed alot and seemed lost in my own thoughts which wasn't always the case I can still be like this alot when someones talking I tune out they get upset and accuse me of not paying attention till I repeat back to them everything they just said so I surpose me being like this doesn't help the whole bimbo label :roll:

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:49 am

Ive never ever been called a ditz up to my knowledge. Its a bit surprising that so many of you are seen as ditzy, well ive never really known any female aspies in person so idk?
My social cluelessness commonly come off as:

1) Rude, incosiderate, tactless and probably bitchy
2) Or naive and innocent, for people trying to think more "positively" about me, which I find a rather insulting

I can come off as rather serious at times, I spend hrs and hrs studying in the library(every1 knows that) Im very organized, 99% show up on time, remember what people say most of the time, and Im better then most NTs at remembering my schedule to the point where I dont consistently use a planner cause I keep track of it all in my head. Being the reasons why Ive never come off as ditzy.

Quote:
I think AS girls might get labeled "ditzy" at first because they can come across as so sweet and naive.

Are you serious??

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 8:09 am

NEVER.
I can't even imagine anyone ever thinking I was ditzy.
A cold-hearted witch, sure. But not a ditz.

cassandra
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2011, 9:05 am

Yes people think I am really stupid and I tend to get patronised a lot.... is really annoying and rude.

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2011, 8:55 pm

People have thought I am "ditzy" or "stupid" because I ask a lot of questions. Because if I don't understand something, I am aware that I don't understand it, and try my best to understand it by asking as many questions as I need to. However, I have found that often times people can't answer my questions because (I suspect) they don't understand the topic either. But they don't ask questions, hence they appear smarter.

Or, that is my interpretation anyway.