Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

GodsWonder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2008, 8:45 pm

There is a PA Autism License plate available on the ASA Philadelphia website (http://asaphilly.org/) for $35, $15 of which is donated to the ASA. If you live in Pennsylvania I feel that it would be a great idea to get this license plate because I think that such a license plate being common in PA would help spread autism awareness to those in PA.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 12:56 am

my boyfriend had this license plate on his car until he moved into nj, i wish there was one for nj also, its a cool license plate, he still has it but its no use for it anymore.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:45 pm

The PA chapter of the ASA does some good things for families of children on the spectrum, like providing their "Helping Hands" grants. But, they also have a very curist-bent. When I last saw their website a while back, they had information about potentially dangerous autism treatments, Jenny McCarthy's "green vaccine" rally and the 'autism epidemic' on it. I'm not sure whether or not they still have that stuff up on their site, but I've met someone in their leadership who is very into promoting DAN! and chelation therapy, too.

I think a charitable plate's a good idea, but I'm concerned about having the proceeds going only to an organization that promotes controversial views and treatments. I'd much rather see the money go into better funding the new PA adult Autism Waiver, so that maybe it could help more than only 200 adults with autism statewide! Or, it would be great to use it to better fund early intervention programs that employ methods that have been proven safe for children.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 4:24 pm

Wait! I'm sorry. I was thinking of the PA chapter of the National Autism Association (PA-NAA), not the PA chapter of the Autism Society of America (PA-ASA). I'm not sure what the ASA's views are.

I'd still like to see the money go to fund services for adults, which are so lacking, though.