Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 7:35 pm

Personally, I like alcohol (at least in reasonable doses). It reduces my jitters when meeting new people, and, in my experience, drunk people are more open to listening to me talk for twenty minutes about Syd Barrett, Holistic Number Theory, Astrology, Politics, etc. - Basically, it gives me the luxury of letting my guard down a bit - 'I am acting drunk, not wierd.'

As per others insisting that you drink too, I'm not sure why this is... probably some sort of herd mentality thing. I often run into this problem with marijuana (I haven't used in 3.5 years and people don't understand why I won't smoke with them).

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 8:31 pm

I used to drink every single day for two years strait. Mostly just half a bottle of vodka mixed with something like Rockstar, but I've toned it down quite a bit. Now I sometimes drink 3 8.0 Tilts every other weekend...if that. My girlfriend almost left me because of my drinking problem so thats why I've cut back.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 9:51 pm

Alcohol drains your senses and makes you lose control. The negative effects outweigh the positive. Getting drunk is childish...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 11:12 pm

When I was in the Air Force, many years ago, everyone in the dorms would get drunk every weekend, and get sooo loud, blasting their music and shouting all night long. I learned that if I stayed in my room, I'd just feel angry at them for being loud and obnoxious, but if I went out into the hallway, I would be given glasses of beer. (I'm female, and as such, was handed glasses of beer without question.) I found that after a few beers, I didn't find the other people nearly as annoying.

Also, many times there would be some kind of required, semi-official function, like someone's retirement party. There was always tons of drinking, and if you didn't drink, your supervisors would start going on about your attitude problem. And again, all of those people became infinitely more tolerable after getting tanked up.

So, I pretty much drank my way through my early twenties. One small problem is that my pants had a tendency to fall off when I'd been drinking, which didn't seem like a problem at the time, but I've matured, and well, it turns out that was not the ideal way of socializing.

Now that I'm in my forties, the only drinking I do is an occasional beer (once or twice a month) while watching a video at home. I don't have to spend all my time with a-holes any more, and can tolerate my family just fine without being drunk.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:36 am

I don't mind drinking, but I can longer bring myself to binge drink on the weekends. I can't take the hangovers.

Dogtanian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2008, 6:24 am

pensieve wrote:
I don't mind drinking, but I can longer bring myself to binge drink on the weekends. I can't take the hangovers.
Haha, yes the hangovers. Hate them now - they seem to be worse than ever now...

But drinking - don't have too much now and don't drink that often - it can be several weeks between drinks sometimes and then it'll only usually be a couple of pints or even less.

I think people should be able to drink alcohol if they want and no one should feel any pressure to have any if they don't want to - it's all down to an individual's choice :)

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 10:20 pm

I had a pretty traumatic experience a few weeks ago at my house warming party. I'm usually just a happy drunk, but a fight with my roommate before I started drinking caused a complete emotional breakdown once I was fully intoxicated. "She hates me" turned into "Everyone here hates me", which turned into "Everyone everywhere hates me," and I spent the majority of the night in my bedroom, whining and crying about it. I'm kind of paranoid about that anyway, and the alcohol took it to the extreme... not to mention I said some things I regret.. :oops:

I normally don't get THAT drunk. I know my limit. I just figured since it was my party I could cut loose...

RGiJapan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2008, 2:44 am

I like drinking with friends. It can be calming. I normally try to drink at a level where I'm buzzed but not drunk. But I can understand if someone doesn't want to drink since it effects everyone differently. It's not for everyone. For me it's funner with friends but it can be relaxing to have a drink alone while enjoying a hobby at home as well.

Barce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2008, 8:46 am

I don't understand how many of you have drunk. I've still never been drunk or dranken any alchoholic beverage. I've never been to a pub, club, or party then again. Hmmm i've been invited a couple of times, but i just never end up going. A part of me (who gets defeated alot by this other more negative part of me), wants to drink and have fun. I want to run around wildly and be my own individual self who others can love me for. I've only got a couple of friends who can take me out to a bar, pub or club. I'm just too scared and disinterested in those places (this is the negative side of me talking now lol) though. The places itself don't interest me, nor the scenario, however being myself and getting wonderful attention for it, especially from ladies would interest me a great deal.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 7:51 pm

RGiJapan wrote:
I like drinking with friends. It can be calming. I normally try to drink at a level where I'm buzzed but not drunk. But I can understand if someone doesn't want to drink since it effects everyone differently. It's not for everyone. For me it's funner with friends but it can be relaxing to have a drink alone while enjoying a hobby at home as well.

Yeah, I think people enjoy me more if I'm a bit tipsy. Being out in a social situation is a lot of pressure for me so when I'm sober I don't enjoy being out with friends as much. I can't stand when people are drunk and I'm not.
A few social drinks on the weekend is ok. A piss up once every few months is allright. You've got to have fun and a lot of us need alcohol to actually enjoy being out in soical situations.
I don't have a problem if people don't drink. One of my friends is completely drug and alcohol free. I don't see him as much but I respect his choice.
Barce wrote:
I don't understand how many of you have drunk. I've still never been drunk or dranken any alchoholic beverage. I've never been to a pub, club, or party then again. Hmmm i've been invited a couple of times, but i just never end up going. A part of me (who gets defeated alot by this other more negative part of me), wants to drink and have fun. I want to run around wildly and be my own individual self who others can love me for. I've only got a couple of friends who can take me out to a bar, pub or club. I'm just too scared and disinterested in those places (this is the negative side of me talking now lol) though. The places itself don't interest me, nor the scenario, however being myself and getting wonderful attention for it, especially from ladies would interest me a great deal.

Look on the brightside: you are much healthier than a lot of us. I have cut down recently for my health's sake. But yeah, I'm not as fun if I don't have a few drinks.

wrongplanetmember
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2008, 5:15 am

I use to have a drinking problem... but now I love the stuff :lol:

My incessant Aspy brain just goes and goes... all the time trying to figure stuff. Alcohol is the best way to beat it into submission... it only takes 1 beer and my mind just takes a load off completely.

dfgh

10 Dec 2008, 10:15 am

I hardly ever drink alcohol for a number reasons: don't the taste, don't like the feeling you get when drunk & it interferes with my medication. It doesn't take that much for me to get drunk and when I am drunk I am not as shy and more relaxed but haven't been to many parties in which to get drunk maybe thats why I am not too keen on alcohol.

theladyautist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2017, 7:29 pm

This may come off strange, but I due enjoy certain types of alchohol due to the taste. I like strong drinks, whether it be strong tea, dark roasted as possibly exists that I can get my greedy hands on coffee, or black tea, or spiced rum, gin, tequila, or merlot. It takes the edge off the day to day stress and can help, in small amounts, with overwhelming emotions when nothing else will work. I have extremely limited my intake lately, as I was developing a problem and it was affecting my weight.

I have been extremely drunk, and as I don't enjoy waking up the next day to the consequences, or the fact that I make myself do more exercise due to the extra calories I drank and to wake up the metabilism from it's drunken stupor. That being said, when I was younger, I didn't see the appeal. It smelt horrid to me, tasted worse, and made people really annoying. I developed a taste for strong wine and certain alchohols while learning to cook, strangely enough. Where I noticed the flavors I mentioned before.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Oct 2017, 3:45 am

I was straight-edge for years after me & my 1st girlfriend broke up. She was 15 & had issues with drugs & alcohol & I tried to get her to stop. I was sort of rebelling against those things after the breakup. I do drink occasionally nowadays but it's mostly as a way of relaxing. It's usually at home usually after I've done some chores that day & my girlfriend isn't home but I also drink occasionally when she is. I do drink in social situations where beer is available but that's not often at all. I don't drink more than two beers because alcohol makes me tired. I never been drunk but I think I would just pass out rather than lose control. I have a tremor disorder that alcohol can help & I have drank some for that reason in the past but I take Klonopin nowadays when it's acting up or I'm going to do something where it may. I also take a med regularly to help with the tremors too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 5:20 pm

I drink when I can get it. I have depression and alcoholism runs in the family. I am trying to keep away from it and drink only on special occassions though.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 12:57 am

Why do people talk to people who are not on the forum anymore... I just don't... Get it...