I Got A New Book: The Complete Guide To Asperger's Syndrome

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 11:52 am

The Complete Guide To Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood (2007).

I only got it yesterday so I haven't started reading it yet.
Anyone else browsed through it? Any thoughts?

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/articles/ ... guide.html

Brook-lynn20
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2008, 12:23 pm

I haven't but it sounds interesting. I'd like to read it sometime.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2008, 12:46 pm

I'm about half way through. It has given me lots of insight & he has an easy writing style - not as clinical as many books of this type. I like the way he addresses all ages - not just kids - and shows how the various characteristics show themselves at different times in a person's life. I also like that he gives plenty of tips for coping with the traits that can cause problems - as well as showing how to make better use of those traits that can be beneficial (it isn't all about how to "fit in.")

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 1:09 pm

Thank you, zeichner. I'm really looking forward to getting into the book now. I may just take a long lunch and start.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 3:28 pm

I am thinking about making a trip to Border's in a few...have to look for that book because I haven't read it yet.

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Oct 2008, 3:31 pm

Got it a few days ago :)

Only read 2 chapters so far but I love it, especially how he summarises it in dot points at the end of each chapter so a year later I could read through the 2 pages of dot points/chapter and remember the rest of it :D

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 4:53 pm

It's considered to be the definitive work on the subject. It's brilliant and I've quoted it often.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:19 pm

I've had it a couple weeks now and am 80 pages into it. It's a good book so far! I never have time to sit down and read because I'm always either at work or playing WoW ... but I plan on taking it to the library soon to finish it up!

theotherle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2008, 6:27 pm

I read the second half of it a few months ago (because of my partner, and I was especially interested in the relationship section). I read the beginning recently, and only then realized that a lot of the female traits apply to me. Anyway, it's a good read. Easy to follow, even for someone with a short attention span.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:23 pm

I saw this book today when I pulled it for the Interlibrary Loan at work. I look forward to reading it myself. It sounds interesting.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:58 pm

I just returned from two different book stores, Border's and Barnes And Noble. I didn't find this particular book.
I did find another Tony Attwood book: Asperger's Syndrome, A Guide For Parents And Professionals. Written more for parents with children who have AS.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 8:23 pm

It's just had a major revision (I think) so a new version of it should be flooding the bookshelves of your bookstores - if it hasn't already.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 8:29 pm

I did see copies of Look Me In The Eye: My Life With Asperger's by John Elder Robison at both stores. How can he and (brother) Augusten Burroughs have such different names or is it just a coincidence Augusten has same last name as William S.? I haven't read any biographical data on Augusten but I did read Running With Scissors.

Biogeek
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2008, 4:13 pm

Ana, Augusten's name is a pen name. His real name is Christopher Robison (if I remember correctly).

The Robsion book is good.

Attwood's "Complete Guide..." is a must read.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 4:15 pm

I figured since his last (pen) name is same as William's, lol. His brother goes by Robison. It's different because it looks so much like Robinson except there's no N.
My eyes playin' tricks on me.