Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 4:50 am

I often say the word 'Gah' online and in real life. It is a reactionary word, like 'shocked' is, but it has multiple meanings.

For example:

1. A state of surprise or shock
2. A state of boredom/nonchalantism
3. A state of confusion/puzzlement
4. A state of stupidity
5. A state of querry
6. A term used for belittling anothers achievements
7. A non-response ie no comment
8. Acronym for Ground Antenna Hardware

I notice babies use it an awful lot, probably because it has multiple meanings. But I don't know, I know what it means, but alot of people don't and it can cause confusion. That aside though, I think it could become quite popular, like meh or za or fa, other pointless words. I dunno, how can I get this word into the Oxford Dictionary.

Ten years from now I want to be playing scrabble and be able to use it and not have people go, 'Gah? What the hell is Gah?'. Gah can be used in any context. It could probably be the most convenient word for those for AS, as it could maybe kind of falsify NTism.

You might be in the following situation for example:

You've just come home from the office. You walk in the house, you smell candlewax and oils. You walk into your bedroom. Your wife is in there with the pizzaman and the guy who mows the lawn. Your wife says "Honey! You're home!", you just say 'Gah'.

or

You've just won the re-election but the newspapers discover that you've taking bribes from the mafia. There's a press interview. They ask you for a comment. You just say 'Gah'.

or

It Christmas time and you've just discovered that your mother in law is coming over and she always nitpicks everything you do. She arrives, and starts on her annoying routine. She says something like "Oh I know an excellent maid who can make this place alot cleaner. You just say 'Gah'.

I'm sure there's a million other uses for this word in everyday life. You can put any expression after it, a :!: or a :?: or a :idea: and it can mean :D :) :( :o 8O :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :wink: :roll: :twisted: :evil:

It's pronounced GAH, as in a rhyme for FAH.

It's a really neat word, try and use it when you go home (or if you're at home, leave, come back and then use it).

That's all I have to really say about it.

Gah

Anonymous_Aspie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Nov 2005, 4:57 am

I've often used this word in it's ancient latin root form: "buh"

"Buh" holds pretty much the same context, but it's often more used to overlay the feeling of surprise or query on top of the usual "Gah" expression. This word is also worth a try, and with the "B" in it, it's an even better scrabble word!

-AA

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 7:46 am

I actually frequently say "argh" and "sigh", like how they're written. Sometimes if I am feeling French, I say "les sigh".

Gah! Hey, that one is pretty good...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 9:48 am

Yes I used buh/bah predominantly in high school, as did several other people i knew, so in that case, yes gah did evolve from bah, as I think so did meh. I suppose it's really a personal prefference thing really. Put yourself into this situation. You're the roman emperor at the coliseum and the crowd's waiting for you to give the thumbs up or the thumbs down. What comes out of your mouth?

I hear gah, personally, but yes I can imagine buh as well.

In regards to scrabble, B-A-H & B-U-H tiles total are worth 8 and GAH's only worth 7, but dammit, I'm going to put it down anyway along with QI, XU and ZI and SYZYGY if I have a blank.

Btw Sophist, you sound all nihilistic like when you say 'Les sigh'...

GAH to the X-TREME!! !

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 9:50 am

Bah! :roll:

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 11:19 am

I'm a "meh" person, myself.

I say "meh" for a variety of reasons...Mostly to do with laziness and boredom.

I also use permutations of "meh", such as "eh", "beh", "peh", and others.

I've also been known to use "Hmm" (with a varying amount of 'm's), which can mean anything from "I'm listening but have np comment." to "I'm bored with this discussion, but want to remain polite."

"meh" started vocally, but I use it online. But "Hmm" so far has been a mostly online term. I seem to use "Mmm" and some noddings of my head to achieve the same purposes in person.

Indeed.

GA

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 3:20 pm

mjs82 wrote:
Btw Sophist, you sound all nihilistic like when you say 'Les sigh'...

I thought I was sounding like the cat who's Pepe Le Pieu's girlfriend... Oh well.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 10:47 pm

I use meh only in extreme situations, I find that it can come off a little sarcastic at times, whereas gah can be used in any social situation, when entertaining new business clients or just chilling in the cribs with ya homies, it does wonders. I notice though a lot of people use hmmmm over msn when they want to non-comment.

Sophist, don't think of yourself as that cat, you can do better than Pepe Le Pieu. For starters he smells. That's mostly why.

I think what would really get GAH going is if perhaps some politican used it as his campaign slogan. Just think, if Kerry had used 'Gah For Kerry!' he might've won and if Bush used it, it might've been a 90% landslide. I dunno. Who's up for re-election soon? In Australia the leader of the opposition Kim Beazley has lost like 4 elections I think but he keeps coming back. I think if when he runs next he uses "GAH! BEAZLEY!" I bet he could win and it would prove the power of GAH to all. You'd be watching your favourite sitcom like "Friends II: The Joey Chronicles" or "Frasier Goes Hawaiian" and there'd be a really funny scenario like Niles has forgotten his house keys and they try breaking in by climbing in the window and Frasier gets stuck and Niles runs off to get help going GAH! GAH! GAH! all the way. It would be bigger than AYYYYY!! !!

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 12:13 am

I am more of an AGH! person
does this count?

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 12:47 am

Well I've been doing some research and I've discovered that AGH is in fact an anagram of GAH. I had a team of monkeys working around the clock on that one at the International Short Descriptive Word Institute of the World (formerly the Ponds Institute for skin care). AGH is quite a shocking word but that said, there's two ways of pronouncing it, AG or AH, depending on personal linguistical preference. I don't know though that AGH is as good in as many social situations as Gah.

I mean imagine your best friends father's died and he's upset. You say AGH! to him, you could put him over the edge. But if you say a nice soothing Gah, well, you might just make him feel a hell of a lot better.

Are there any linguistic experts or speech pathologists in the house?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 12:56 am

All these words imply a blase indifference, and I'd say are a little rude to use too often in conversation. I've used bah and meh before when I'm in such a mood, but I can say that, when others do it, it's very off-putting to me.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 3:08 am

hem.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 11:12 am

NeantHumain wrote:
All these words imply a blase indifference, and I'd say are a little rude to use too often in conversation. I've used bah and meh before when I'm in such a mood, but I can say that, when others do it, it's very off-putting to me.

Well see that's why I like gah because it's less sarcastic, yet can be used sarcastically if ever needed and called upon. It's like my swiss army knife of three letter expression words, because it has so many functions, except a spork.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 11:25 am

Neuroman wrote:
hem.

Ahem...

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2005, 11:34 am

Online I tend to use Squeak! or Squeakers. In person I am more liekly to say "meep", which can mean anything from "I am paying attention to you" to "I require your attention" to "I need a vocal stim at this juncture of the conversation".

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 11:49 am

CDRhom wrote:
Online I tend to use Squeak! or Squeakers. In person I am more liekly to say "meep", which can mean anything from "I am paying attention to you" to "I require your attention" to "I need a vocal stim at this juncture of the conversation".

Squeakers? That's pretty cool though maybe you can abreviate it if its a really repetitive thing, that was you don't waste time typing unnecessary letters.

In reference to "Meep", I believe this is proof to my suspicion that the Roadrunner was the first cartoon character to have AS!

You heard it here first folks!! !

Yibbida-yibbi-gah