Chances of having another thing along with Autism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Muris et al (1998) found that 84.1% of children with pervasive developmental disorder met the full criteria of at least one anxiety disorder (phobia, panic disorder, separation anxiety disorder, avoidant disorder, overanxious disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder).

Probably almost as many people off the spectrum would meet the criteria for some kind of phobia.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:01 pm

A lot of disorders can happen when you either have autism or Asperger's. I for one have almost everything in the DSM IV. How fun. I have depression, anxiety, conversion disorder (not as bad as it was 2 years ago in fact I haven't had a seizure for many months if not years. For all that don't know what conversion disorder is it is a physical reaction to a psychological cause such as seizures {non epileptic seizures} deafness, blindness, and other things that look "physical"), schizoaffective disorder possibly bipolar type, Dissociative Identity Disorder (I don't switch personalities anymore), and others that I can't think of right now. Most of my disorders are controlled with medicine and I'm doing much better. But I have autism, not Aspergers and I know a lot of people on other boards I go on that has schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder and autism. I also used to have panic attacks. All my problems started in 7th grade when I was being attacked daily in school, causing a breakdown. That was my first one and my second one happened shortly after I got out of college. I don't know the percentage of people that have schizophrenia and autism/ Asperger's but I bet its higher than the 1% in the general population. I also have a phobia of bees.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 9:28 pm

WurdBendur wrote:
Almost all people on the spectrum also have some kind of mood disorder like anxiety or depression. But since you say your other problem is not a mood-disorder, these aren't really relevant to that. It's entirely possible to have ASD and pretty much any other neurological disorder at the same time, so there's no telling.
I seriously doubt it's "almost all". I would guess more like half.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com