Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2005, 1:07 pm

I always recommend caution with psychiatrists. If you think they're giving you too many meds or too much of a certain med, you're probably right.

I'm not against medications. But I am an advocate of the "lowest dose possible" regimen. Take just enough so your body can learn to do the rest.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 3:25 pm

I found out about this guy William Freund as of Today when I looked at the wikipedia entry for wrongplanet. Now I realize that Freunds double murder-suicide rampage took place 3 years ago but I'd like to know: WAS Freund formally diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome? Did he recieve ANY clinical diagnosis at all..... :? Now I presume that his posts and his account were deleted for liability reasons, am I wrong?? It almost sounds like he just used WP as a mouthpiece to vent his feelings before going on a rampage. But rampages like his are NOT Uncommon in the US, EVEN among NTs. But when seemingly normal people do such things its usually disgruntled employee's. Was that the case with Freund?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 4:22 pm

Haliphron wrote:
I found out about this guy William Freund as of Today when I looked at the wikipedia entry for wrongplanet. Now I realize that Freunds double murder-suicide rampage took place 3 years ago but I'd like to know: WAS Freund formally diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome? Did he recieve ANY clinical diagnosis at all..... :? Now I presume that his posts and his account were deleted for liability reasons, am I wrong?? It almost sounds like he just used WP as a mouthpiece to vent his feelings before going on a rampage. But rampages like his are NOT Uncommon in the US, EVEN among NTs. But when seemingly normal people do such things its usually disgruntled employee's. Was that the case with Freund?

According to his profile he was diagnosed professionally, and he was employed as a computer repair technician. According to radio interviews, as well as a small segment that appeared on Geraldo Riviera, (As much as I despise that show), he was formally diagnosed as having Aspergers Syndrome. I remember his series of posts quite well, as well as the post containing all of the iconified exclaimation marks that appeared on Geraldo Riviera's show.

I remember wanting to attempt to help him feel better about himself, however at the time I really wasn't sure if he actually needed help, somebody to talk to, or if it was just some type of prank, or just attention seeking trolling on his part. I have a very hard time discerning which is which, and this can be quite confusing at times due to the fact that I've had my kindness taken advantage of before, until other people told me explicitly that I was being taken advantage of. --In short, I didn't know how the situation should have been handled.

13 Aug 2008, 7:15 pm

What was his WP name?

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 7:32 pm

I have seen crazy things happen when meds do not work with the body. I was on that same medication my arms turned inwards my hand were almost under my armpits, the muscles in my back go so weak I couldn't stand straight up I was bent even when lying down, my tongue stuck out of my mouth, lost all control of my bladder, it messed with my head of a morning I looked like I was high a few people even wanted to buy what I was on, and it caused insomnia.

I think that the meds plus the aspergers made this young man susceptible to violent behavior. What he did was wrong yes, how he is going to be punished is wrong, should he be punished yes, should he go to prison no putting him in a prison will just make him worse.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 12:00 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
What was his WP name?

The same as his real life name., though it may have been shortened. -- I also remember that right after the incedent the server that WP was then located on was swamped with traffic recieved due to the publicity of the event and it was very slow to load that day.