Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nitz
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2005, 3:11 pm

Quote:
My apologies, shall I remove it?

Personally, I only encountered it for the first time a few weeks ago. I see it less as a commentary on the demise of childhood, than as a scathing criticism of a socety that would rather force defenseless children to take powerful medications so that they do not have to deal with children being themselves.

No, keep it up. I might have overreacted here, and I apologize. It just hits home a bit: I've always identified a lot with Calvin, since my childhood was a lot like his-- granted, I didn't go looking for trouble like him, but I basically spent all my time in my imagination, which baffled parents and educators. To see the effective demise of my childhood hero, even as a joke, is disturbing for me; I laughed at the strip the first time I saw it, but not any time since.

This is nothing about you or the cartoon, just more about me and my own triggers.

Liorda
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2005, 3:17 pm

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2005, 5:41 pm

Nitz wrote:
No, keep it up. I might have overreacted here, and I apologize. It just hits home a bit: I've always identified a lot with Calvin, since my childhood was a lot like his-- granted, I didn't go looking for trouble like him, but I basically spent all my time in my imagination, which baffled parents and educators. To see the effective demise of my childhood hero, even as a joke, is disturbing for me; I laughed at the strip the first time I saw it, but not any time since.

This is nothing about you or the cartoon, just more about me and my own triggers.
I understand, I just did not want to cause you unneccesary discomfort.

tomthecarpenter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2005, 12:24 pm

do you know how Calvin met Hobbes?

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2005, 2:25 pm

tomthecarpenter wrote:
do you know how Calvin met Hobbes?

Didn't he set up a peanut butter sandwich tiger trap?

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2005, 9:58 pm

Very good cartoon. It was quite popular in my country in the nineties, when they where published in comic book series aside from the newspaper cartoons and their albums. It's been a while since I read them though, as the comic series where cancelled 6 years ago and they aren't published in my favorite newspaper. in Holland, the Watterson's cartoon was dubbed 'Casper and Hobbes' as Calvin isn't your everyday typical dutch name.