My ears bleed when he's even mentioned 23%  23%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 77

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 1:58 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Prosser wrote:
I have the guys Auto biography and, although I only read half of it, I think he's quote clever.
I like his music but it's not my favourite. Anyone seen that micheal Moore "Bowling for Columbine" documentary?
Micheal Moore interviews Manson and he gives a few interesting points, about his influence on teenagers.

Manson says he has no influence on teenagers, but obviously he does. He always says nobody understands him, which is a joke. Don't flatter yourself, Marylin. You are not that hard to understsand. Maybe the only people who "understand" him are the poor slobs who worship him.

Manson will never take responsibility for the negative influence (read: deaths/suicides) he has on society. And that really burns me. :x :evil:

Newsflash! EVERYONE on this planet somehow influences other peoples lives, even if undeliberately and to limited extent. Meeting a specific person, regardless if the experience was deliberate or not and if it was positive/negative, can leave a mark on one's life for a short or long while. I think what Marilyn (that is how you spell his name) means he is not seeking to be an influence on anyone's life. The only way to not be is to live in a cave and never come out.

Now people who commit suicide after listening to music ... Most of these people had serious mental problems before and would have committed suicide anyway. If it wasn't after listening to Manson, it would maybe be after listening to the Rolling Stones, or after watching the Oprah Winfrey show. My point is: people who commit suicide would have done so anyway because of some serious underlying reasons making life unbearable, not because Manson or any celebrity would ask them to (for the record, Manson never encouraged suicide anyway so his "followers" who commit suicide clearly don't listen that well) Blaming the artist is, sorry, ridiculous. It is not his fault when people cannot handle his artwork or completely misinterpretate it. We all influence people with our words to some extent, but in the end people are responsible for their own acts. Manson cannot be the one to blame for someone else wrongly interpretating his music, it is not like he asked people to commit crimes or suicide. The artist should never fall victim to censorship because of wrong interpretations of the art.

PS if suicide is a criteria, then ban Blink 182, Iggy Pop, etc as well. You may want to read about Ian Curtis and the album The Idiot, or about Adam's Song. Misinterpretating music is so easy but in the end these people would have done it anyways at some point. Someone whose life is anywhere near stable will not commit suicide just because of a song.

Veresae wrote:
I, for one, think he has a positive influence on society. He encourages us to be free thinkers, to use our heads, to question religion and the media and to not believe in the mob mentality. Anyone who has killed themselves or another person in the name of a rock star was screwed up already.

Hitting the nail on the head.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 2:00 pm

-Vorzac- wrote:
No, he didn't invent it, but neither did king diamond, or Alice cooper, or KISS, or even Arthur Brown.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins is the true father of shock rock.

KISS is totally unserious compared to Manson though. Bands such as Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, etc may be classified as shock rock by some, but they bring a message with their music. Kiss is pure entertainment, compare it to the Scream movies. Interesting fact is how in former communist countries, Kiss is sometimes seen as a capitalist symbol. FFS, they are a simple rock band with some silly songs and act.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 7:00 pm

KiSS is a capitalist symbol the world over because each performance is just a giant gimmick for selling tickets and albums and other merchandise (action figures, lunch boxes, that sort of stuff). It's a neat gimmick set to decent music, but the idea is the same.

And who cares who invented it? It's not an idea that was invented once and done perfectly the first time, never to improve. It emerged and has grown into different things.

And for a shock rock band that's really not very serious, check out Gwar.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2008, 11:34 am

Strangely, I find that my favorite Manson music is Seizure of Power on The Resident Evil film soundtrack. Maybe because it's an Instrumental piece, and I've always been drawn to those.

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2008, 3:04 am

Mosse wrote:
I used to think he was weird... now I like his singing. 8O
So... who likes him or not?

Yeh, that's only typical attitude of rebels... :evil: Society thinks - he's psycho, then I'll like him. Society speaks: "he's anti-christ - then I'll like him evn more...

Well I don't care. I don't give a damn about his apperance, I dont' give a damn about his anti-religious attitude, I don't give a damn about his weird make up or about him striping on the stage. I dont' think he's an artist. He's more like a bussinessmen - he knows exactly how to make newspapers write about him and he knows exactly how to make those weak minds of teenagers to fall on his preteanded games... But - I don't care anyway. Neither I hate him, nor I like him. I just don't care at all :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I only like his one song - "The Fight Song". (Uppssss - so maybe I'm one of those drained-teenage-zombies? Ahhhhhhhh! :twisted: )

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2008, 9:05 am

Fair enough

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:14 am

WurdBendur wrote:
KiSS is a capitalist symbol the world over because each performance is just a giant gimmick for selling tickets and albums and other merchandise (action figures, lunch boxes, that sort of stuff). It's a neat gimmick set to decent music, but the idea is the same.

And who cares who invented it? It's not an idea that was invented once and done perfectly the first time, never to improve. It emerged and has grown into different things.

And for a shock rock band that's really not very serious, check out Gwar.

dont forget the Kiss burial boxes :) (cuffin is the English word ??)

In some East Bloc countries their music was banned, along with some other bands from the "capitalist west". Now people here in Eastern Europe love it, just like bars play the likes of Right Said Fred, Erasure, Wham, A-Ha, etc all the time. I wonder sometimes if there is a political statement in that, as in saying "we are free again, with access to all trash from the capitalist world" ...

PS doesn't every band try to sell merchandise during their gigs, on their websites, etc? Because then in a way every musician would be a capitalist...

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2008, 3:29 am

coffin, yes.

black_legion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2008, 5:44 am

well, he;s a good singer but he looks like a freak.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:01 am

Marlyin Mason, I challenge you to a midnight glass-eating contest.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2008, 12:36 pm

black_legion wrote:
well, he;s a good singer but he looks like a freak.

I love the irony of someone with Aspergers using a term that is so widely disliked amongst the AS community. :roll:

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 2:14 pm

Can't stand him to be honest.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 10:27 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
PS doesn't every band try to sell merchandise during their gigs, on their websites, etc? Because then in a way every musician would be a capitalist...

Sure, but do they have plushes, or their own version of Monopoly, or any of this junk?

Most bands sell merchandise. Kiss just took it to a new level.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 1:28 pm

Yep. His voice is phenominally strong - love it.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 9:30 am

Doesn't he have his own line of cosmetics?

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2008, 6:49 pm

I like his music, and the fact that his image and lyrics have a lot of humour and intelligence. He plays with the idea that people are afraid of his image. I think most of his themes of 'anarchy', hate, violence, anti-religiousness etc are only half serious because he thinks it's funny that people take them so seriously and make such a big deal out of them. Marilyn Manson doesn't cause violence and suicide, and he seems to think (as I do) the idea that he does is very amusing.

Although, with the anti-religion thing, there's a brilliant (serious) line in one of his songs that says "I never really hated one true god, but the god of the people I've hated" which I really like.