Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 12:33 pm

Fo-Rum wrote:
A lot of people play games where they shouldn't be playing them. On several occasions I've seen people admit to be playing while at work. I've also seen several people play games on college computers (for hours).

IMO that's a network administration problem. Any decent network administrator knows to block certain game ports.

That is unless the network admin is playing the games himself, in which case the problem escalates :P

My college had all of the game ports blocked. Also the admins should be able to set up student accounts to not have admin privileges so they can't install the games in the first place.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 12:36 pm

Kirska wrote:
Fo-Rum wrote:
A lot of people play games where they shouldn't be playing them. On several occasions I've seen people admit to be playing while at work. I've also seen several people play games on college computers (for hours).

IMO that's a network administration problem. Any decent network administrator knows to block certain game ports.

That is unless the network admin is playing the games himself, in which case the problem escalates :P

My college had all of the game ports blocked. Also the admins should be able to set up student accounts to not have admin privileges so they can't install the games in the first place.

I may be a lover of video games, but there is a time and place for them and school/work/other duties are not one of them. I think though that it is the AS in me that makes it easier for me to draw the line, simply because of a good sense of duty.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2009, 1:26 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
Anyone else have a bit of an obsession with this game? I'm convinced that half of the people :) i play with are aspies so I know there must be somebody out there! The game was pretty much invented for Aspies if you ask me....lol :D

I think you are right. My son, who is HFA, is hooked, and so is his best buddy, who has Asperger's. In fact, his buddy took off a whole summer to play WoW full time, so that he could become a tank. His parents were not happy.

www.neurointegrity.com

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 2:25 pm

Kirska wrote:
Ticker wrote:
Has anyone seen recent articles about how employers are refusing to hire WoW fans and are checking the internet to see if potential employees are addicts?

I've mentioned wow in passing to potential employers on more than one occasion. You'd be surprised how many potential bosses also play wow.

Granted I wasn't like, "lol i hav 15 lvl 80's noob" but rather I was describing the website I built for my guild and the functionality I implemented from scratch.

I wouldn't want to work for a company that ruled me out based on my home hobbies anyway. Block the wow port in the work network. Problem solved. I wouldn't play at work anyway...

It's not that they are afraid employees will play at work because there are ways to block that. The issue is people get so addicted to WoW that they stay up all night playing it then call in sick the next day cause they are so tired from not getting sleep that they can't drag themselves into work. Don't take it wrong because I have nothing against WoW, actually I've never seen it. Just repeated what I read. I do remember a guy at my last job was so into WoW that he told us he was staying up till 5am playing it. He also would call out of work numerous times because of the game and not enough sleep so apparently if employers are finding it an issue then it must be a big issue. Perhaps it depends on the business though and how they view gamers.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 3:17 pm

Ticker wrote:
It's not that they are afraid employees will play at work because there are ways to block that. The issue is people get so addicted to WoW that they stay up all night playing it then call in sick the next day cause they are so tired from not getting sleep that they can't drag themselves into work. Don't take it wrong because I have nothing against WoW, actually I've never seen it. Just repeated what I read. I do remember a guy at my last job was so into WoW that he told us he was staying up till 5am playing it. He also would call out of work numerous times because of the game and not enough sleep so apparently if employers are finding it an issue then it must be a big issue. Perhaps it depends on the business though and how they view gamers.

I just don't think it's fair to blame it strictly on WoW. WoW is one of many avenues to have this problem.

It's definitely not fair to judge people on jobs based on their WoW playing status. I play MMO's maybe 1, 2 hours a day and never to the point that I miss sleep. I mean really, it's like not allowing someone to work for you when they're a social drinker who has 1 drink a week because you don't want to hire alcoholics.

You can play WoW without becoming an up to 5am addict. It's not illegal, so you shouldn't automatically assume it's going to be a problem. I know many MANY successful businesspeople who play WoW and don't let it get in the way of their work life. I was a guild leader for 2 years and I still graduated college with over a 3.5 (that's a B+ or A-). Many, if not all of our members had a full time job, full time school, and/or kids.

Honestly it is a lot like alcohol. If you play/drink with moderation and as a personal or social hobby, it is harmless. It is only when you allow yourself to lose control that it becomes a problem. I realize there isn't a chemical dependency, but it's just an arbitrary example.

Like I said, if an employer were to judge me based on that, I'd be the one saying goodbye before they could get it out of their mouth.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2009, 6:30 pm

Quote:
I just don't think it's fair to blame it strictly on WoW. WoW is one of many avenues to have this problem.

I actually think it's very fair to blame it on WoW. It is easier to be mad at a game than all of your friends who refuse to play anything else other than WoW. Out of the SEVEN people I've known for a good part of my life, I can't get any of them to even TRY (without the need to spend money mind you) anything that I am interested in. They all want to sit there and play WoW, while Blizzard continues to feed them the same garbage they fed them for years. Continually patching and adding more items as if it's something grand and new.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 6:22 am

Ticker wrote:
Has anyone seen recent articles about how employers are refusing to hire WoW fans and are checking the internet to see if potential employees are addicts?

I can't handle it. Now you've gotten me started.
"Making fools of us all" http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt89769.html

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2009, 3:00 pm

it was invented for warcradft fans, to to generate income for blizzard

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 3:28 pm

I am so sorry for bumping.

I freaking LOVE THIS GAME. I lost my level 63 pre-wotlk, so I quit. Now I am back, and I am a level 23 draenei mage. Mavei server or whatever.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 4:01 pm

Ferdinand wrote:
I am so sorry for bumping.

I freaking LOVE THIS GAME. I lost my level 63 pre-wotlk, so I quit. Now I am back, and I am a level 23 draenei mage. Mavei server or whatever.

I left for a while, and too, am back. I'm on Hydraxis-horde.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2010, 4:48 pm

I've played since the beginning. Right now, I'm on Skywall, Dalvengyr, and Akama.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 5:45 pm

Yeah I've been playing for over a year now. I'm finding myself strangely attached to people I have never met...

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 7:01 pm

Wow. I would definately not agree that many people on this game are Aspies.

At least not on my server.

My server is full of trolls, fools, and just plain jackasses. I keep myself permanently logged out of Trade chat because it's nothing but a bunch of morons trolling eachother.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 9:19 pm

Jacaen wrote:
I used to play WoW, but I play FFXI at the moment. I only stick around FFXI because I have a fairly active linkshell with people I've made friends with. Otherwise, I'd totally be playing WoW and ordering WotLK. Or Warhammer...

FFXI all the way! That's the one I liked. I could never get into WoW. However FFXI had some issues, so I no longer play. D:
I hear they're making a new one though. :3

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2010, 5:45 pm

Everquest here, for 8 years. Tribunal server.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 7:28 pm

If you like PvP, check out http://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ridon.html

Asocial guild, with a lot of great players! :)