Page 28 of 30 [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

aaronzx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2013, 4:25 am

JakeDay wrote:
I am curious about this so-called gay gene: given that many people live their lives of gayness in a closet, I wonder how the forensic biopsy team are able to say with 100% certainty that any sepcimen is 100% gay or 100% straight. A lot of research suggests that if we consider a person's lifetime history of sexual experience, about 70% of people are bisexual. I think the idea of the "gay gene" is junk science.

The gay gene doesn't sound plausible to me. I personally believe the gene would not have been able to survive the evolution of our species. I'll elaborate as to why.

If a gay gene were to exist, it would have existed long before we, as a species, evolved into homo sapiens. The evidence for this lies in the fact that homosexuality is actually more prevalent in the societies of our closest relatives (apes, monkeys, gorillas etc) than it is in our societies. As we evolved from similar ancestors, we would have both inherited from the gene from the same evolutionary event.

Any negative stigma against homosexuality was created by, and only exists in, our human society. There is yet to be evidence of any other species demonstrating prejudice against homosexuals.

So therefore, if a gay gene existed, how would it have been passed down in a time where there was no such thing as 'being in the closet'. A time where there was no prejudice against homosexuals. The gene would not have been passed down through the generations due to the lack of sex drive for procreations amongst our ancestors.

The gay gene could exist, but only if the gene could be inactive in straight people. Meaning that the gene would have been passed down from our ancestors to us by the straight males with the drive for procreation with other females. If this were the case, it would be extremely difficult for geneticists to determine which gene controls sexuality, because the same gene would be found in both straight people and gay people.

--

Personally I think the theories that sexuality is determined in the womb seem very likely. One theory talks about the fetus' exposure to testosterone or something similar.

aaronzx

30 Nov 2013, 4:52 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
aaronzx wrote:
BritAspie wrote:
Due to social issues it means that Aspies who may be straight might find it more difficult to get someone than NTs so they may be branded as gay and/or they think they're gay.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this notion. Homosexuality is not a social issue and people cannot have their sexuality changed based on their social experiences and/or problems. The scientific basis of homosexuality in nature has far more backing than the proposed basis of nurture.

By the way, I am gay with HFA too.

I think you misunderstood.

"BritAspie" was saying that a heterosexual Aspie will be assumed to be gay if he/she has no relationship for a long time.

Oh I see, sorry guys. I interpreted the post as 'the straight aspie would then begin to think that they themselves are gay'. :D

GreyMatter

14 Dec 2013, 2:47 pm

I knew I was gay and came to terms with it long before I knew I am an Aspie (which I only found out this year at age 29). Hence, I never tried to understand my sexuality in light of my autism, which I think would have made it easier to digest on some level. I always felt different without ever knowing why and I really didn't want to be gay on top of it all. Then as I aged, I thought that perhaps I always felt different because I am gay, but when comparing my experiences with other gay guys, I realised that the culprit certainly was AS as opposed to homosexuality in the majority of situations I struggled with growing up. I was quite content being gay before getting my AS diagnosis, and I must say that even though the AS label makes me even more marginalised, I am still quite content with the situation. In fact, it is in my love and sex life where I have been allowed to feel somewhat normal, and most of the guys I have been with are really cool people who helped me navigate the gay world and create something resembling a subjectively functional social life.

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2013, 7:28 pm

I have known I am homosexual for about 3 years. Looking back I realize I always have been, I was just unaware. I don't question why, it's just the way I am, life dealt me these cards and I adapted (through introspection, acceptance, then self love).
A link between homosexuality and Asperger's? I don't think so.

Eh, I've never been in a relationship. Females like me, they always have (my indifference shows). Some men like me (I seem to attract major closet cases...). Figuring people out is difficult for me, just as difficult as them trying to figure me out. My very logical thinking makes it near impossible for me to act on instinct.

I socialize proficiently but I never reveal much about myself. Non verbal communication games are annoying because I only manage to convey stoic instead of interest. Situations of mutual attraction ALWAYS require me to make the first move, which requires I abandon my logic (leaves too many options) to act completely on instinct (where the only option possibly benefits me).

I struggle to read people, so my logic remains uncertain therefore, as much as I desire to assertively take initiative my instincts are ignored instead. Stagnation then roots itself until I force myself to lose romantic/physical interest just to escape the nervousness/worry/awkwardness. Confusion still rampant so I preoccupy my mind with more important things.

Can't get over that first bump, to that smooth sailing stage, so I remain sexless and single. *SHRUGS*

I'm alright though, I'll live.

LucianGuy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Dec 2013, 1:48 am

From where I stand, a frustrating number of Aspie men are NOT gay ha ha.

Manwiththecat
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2014, 4:01 am

I am a gay aspie.

LR103104
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2014, 5:03 pm

oh common, gay ness is so genetic, though who's to presume how it works, its probably not just one gene, and they're are i suspect different types of being gay bi and str8. the reason i think sexuality is genetic is because you can tell just by looking at a persons face with a sup prising rate of accuracy. i can even tell with small kids sometimes, and to this day i have been right almost always. i think that ti is as organic as being able to tell someones general personality style , like sweet or aggressive with a lot of accuracy just by looking at their face. hey i may not be good at knowing the social things going on , but i am incredibly visual and can tell all sorts of things about people have never met just by looking at their face. i can tell if someone lies a lot and i can tell if someone has an addiction, and often what that addiction is , even if it before they started the behaviours involved with the addiction , i can tel if someone is selfish. but i can't tell any better in person than i could from a high quality photograph.

just a rant i know but i am having fun hahahahahg

livnah
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2014, 2:20 pm

+1
(Gay aspie here too)

greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2014, 10:24 pm

"We need more data."

Mus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2014, 6:17 pm

There are multiple points to be made here:

1) Any given trait can be genetic without being inherited in a Mendelian way. For example, epigenetics, semidominance, incomplete dominance, and multi-loci inheritance (those are just the basic non-Mendelian ways something can be inherited--there are dozens more which are more complicated).

2) If any given trait is genetic without being inherited in a Mendelian way in some people, there's no reason it can't also be brought about by other factors (or in other processes) in other people or groups of people.

3) Even so, a trait can still be biologically-based WITHOUT being genetic (for example, anything that happens environmentally in the womb--that's environmental, and biological, but NOT genetic).

4) Male and female sexual orientation do not have to be caused by the same mechanism(s). Gay and straight (and bisexual) orientations do not have to be caused by the same mechanisms.

5) What we see as "gay" or "straight" in terms of orientation and behavior is complex and fraught with sociopolitical undertones.

6) People discuss genetics all the time without knowing very much about what they're really saying!

Source: I work for a genetics company.

skinnybuddha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2014, 7:36 am

I have most of the same issues as musician_enigma (problems reading people, etc). I'm glad you were able to write it out as you did, as it's hard for me to put my feelings into words most of the time.
I didn't really come to terms with my homosexuality until I was 20, now 36. I've had a few encounters, but no boyfriends yet. Do wish I could have some companionship.
I've tried some online dating sites, but I have trouble there in writing out things about myself, too.

samuelguthrie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2014, 3:18 pm

big_fat_phony wrote:
mystyc wrote:
blah, I really wish there were a gay/LGBT/GLBTAAQ.../GLOW (Gay Lesbian or Whatever, j/k, lol) forum on here.

Or how about one that says "non-straight" or something. I don't know. I just find it hard to find the other gay/bi aspies around here.

I agree!! :P

You're exactly right. I created a facebook group called "GLOW Asperger's" today because of your fantastic suggestion. I'm the admin, but you can have it of you like--it was your idea after all :-)

It is an open group, but I can send you the link if you like.

Sam

Rafael3122
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Apr 2014, 1:47 am

Bi aspie :D

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2014, 4:40 pm

I'm a bi aspie too.

It's one of the upsides of being excluded by society, you don't have restrict yourself by social or sexual norms.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2014, 1:59 am

Gay aspie here also.

In short, I had a lot of unusual circumstances growing up -- emigrating, speech therapy, moving schools a lot because we were always moving as a child. So I guess I never picked up upon societal norms as much as the next person and with certain things going on, I wasn't entirely sure if I grew up "normal" anyway. No respectable male influences.

Regardless, a small incident on Valentine's Day in 1998 (so I'd be 13/14 and in Year 8; I don't know what the equivalent is in the American schooling system) resulted in me deciding never to involve myself with girls or women ever again, at least not in any sexual/romantic way.

So I don't know whether I trained myself to think gay or I was gay anyway but now acting out on it, but as an adult, I could never see women in an arousing light so to speak. That said, as a gay man, I don't find myself lusting after what society deems as normal for gay men to like either. "Cute" boyish faces and whatever... they did and continue to do nothing for me. Rather frustratingly though, I find myself lusting after certain types of men so I don't think I'm asexual if I still have a libido.

But at the same time, I've been accused of being a "prude" before because I'm just not as active as the next man, and I don't like.. the sort of things that adults are supposed to be excited by, to keep it clean. It's a very confused mire and I don't know whether it's partly down to Aspergers that the pleasure connection has been wired wrong.

All I can definetely say is that I'm uninterested in women full stop. I'm not a misogynist by the way; there's a difference between not being intersted in women in that way but respecting them in other ways, than flat out hating them for this, that and the other. And I like men, but... I guess for different reasons beyond physical attraction.

So there you go.

HuntBoy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2014, 6:38 pm

I feel like it's definitely possible for a kid with Asperger's to get confused and think that they are gay. I mean, maybe they notice that they've never had a relationship with a girl and start to think that maybe it's because they're gay, when really it's just taking them longer than other straight guys. That being said, I'm not discounting that there may be some sort of link, and some Aspies are genuinely gay. If so, they shouldn't fight it, I'm just stating a possibility that they should look at before deciding on their sexuality. I might be going through the same thing, but I remember having some gay feelings as a kid so who knows?