Page 13 of 15 [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2009, 7:38 am

annie hall- akward, eccentric, stop start conversational skills. bad eye contact.

though i have also read here that diane keaton is suspected of being a.s, so taht might explain some of her mannerisms in the film, rather than being direction.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 7:42 am

MartyMoose wrote:
Doctor Manhattan from the Watchmen

Ror is. Note how he doesn't use pronouns, his rigid thinking, his lack of personal care, his "poverty", his lack of empathy, his monotonous voice (even more so in the book), his obsessiveness, flat affect, etcetera. They call him a sociopath, but he ain't one.

John kinda is the next step up from "genius syndrome" in my opinion.

Ror has always been how he is for the most part, whereas John being turned into "god" made him lose some human relatedness (but nowhere near as much as people think).

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 3:54 pm

misslottie wrote:
annie hall- akward, eccentric, stop start conversational skills. bad eye contact.

though i have also read here that diane keaton is suspected of being a.s, so taht might explain some of her mannerisms in the film, rather than being direction.

Is that true about Diane Keaton being suspected of AS? That´s really interesting! Ironically, I was just thinking today about the fact that Diane Keaton seems to often portray characters that I can relate to (like Annie Hall, among others)...and as I don´t often relate to female characters in film, it´s a bit of an anomaly, I was wondering about that. Of course, she often did films for Woody Allen, and I really liked all his films around that time- (the Louise Lasser/Dianne Keaton eras). When he started making films with Mia Farrow, I didn´t really like those films anymore.

My Mom saw an interview with Dianne Keaton once, and afterwards she kept talking about how Dianne Keaton reminded her of me. So that´s also kind of interesting....

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 5:52 pm

Data the android on ST:TNG and Andrew the positronic robot in -BiCentennial Man-

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 5:54 pm

Eggman wrote:
incoorect to say spock. He was half vulcan. Its a trait that is is his species norm...added by the conflicts the come from his two halves opping each other as well as not being able to belong to humans or vulcans

Even so, the Spockian characteristics are very much in line with human AS.

ruveyn

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2009, 6:08 pm

like the fincitonal character spculation becoming fictional alien character with a.s discussion. ;-)

Morgana- i read on the recent actors with a.s thread here- someone mentioned keaton.
like you, or your mother anyway, she was one of the few women on film that seemed to be really like me (though im more bad tempered).
also worth remembering the female presentation of a.s can be very different to that in men; appears far more social from greater interest/desire/training to mimic social ques and norms etc (an entirely other thread) but you know what i mean.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Mar 2009, 6:10 pm

I am not sure about this one---I need some of you to help me out. When I was growing up I remember seeing this soap opera called Mary Hartman. If I remember correctly, she was not the NT type? Anyone know anything about Mary Hartman?

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2009, 6:17 pm

I remember watching it and now I do believe she had a lot of AS traits. As long as we are on vintage tv, how about Les Nessman from "WKRP" ? Possibly Mr. Carlson as well.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 7:33 pm

glider18 wrote:
I am not sure about this one---I need some of you to help me out. When I was growing up I remember seeing this soap opera called Mary Hartman. If I remember correctly, she was not the NT type? Anyone know anything about Mary Hartman?

Played by Louise Lasser who is Nutsy Fagin. I knew a guy who dated her, and he claimed she was Looney Tunes. She is/was a very weird lady.

ruveyn

person3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2009, 12:11 am

Sea_of_Saiyan wrote:
Just about every character - Spongebob Squarepants
Quote:
(Spongebob is extremely routine oriented to the point where he has a tantrum when he can't go to work on time. He is very OCD about his job and completely breaks down when he thinks he forgot the pickles on a hamburger. He is a grown man (sponge) and living alone, but is extremely immature (blows bubbles, loves sqeaky toys). He is very hyperactive and does a lot of stimming. He has imaginary friends. He has a very irregular speech pattern. He has an obsessive interest in jellyfishing. I wonder if the show was intentionally made to exhibit autism.)

Patrick might qualify for moderately functioning autism. He seems ret*d, and the show never portrays him as having any sort of job or life beyond following Spongebob around and living under a rock....very overly emotional as well.

Sandy - definite Aspie

Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom, Xenophilius(sp) Lovegood - Harry Potter series

Ben - Castaways of the Flying Dutchman series by Brian Jacques

Ender and Bean from the Ender's Game/Shadow series

Some more advanced literature:

Sydney Carton & Dr. Manette - A Tale of Two Cities
Pip - Great Expectations
David Copperfield

Raskolnikov- Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Creature - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

I have to disagree about Ender. He easily connects with people and is extremely good at figuring out what other people are thinking/feeling.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 9:12 am

I used to watch Mary Hartman, and I remember I liked it a lot. I don´t remember enough about it though to comment on her possible AS-ness.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2009, 9:14 am

misslottie wrote:

also worth remembering the female presentation of a.s can be very different to that in men; appears far more social from greater interest/desire/training to mimic social ques and norms etc (an entirely other thread) but you know what i mean.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, and I think I´m this way too.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2009, 8:57 am

I just started watching some old reruns of Alf (the furry little alien sit-com from the 80s). I think Alf had Alfsperger Syndrome. And he is from another planet and takes things literally.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 9:07 am

i like "doc martin" which is an english show about a doctor with horrible social skills.
i do not know if he is written with AS in mind, but i certainly identify with some of his lines.
there is not very much on youtube about the show and this is the best clip i could find, but there are many much better scenes i remember.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbSeqGjftHI[/youtube]

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 9:28 am

also i can not find any videos that are exemplary of the b9 robot i felt close to when i was little.
here is one clip but it is a bit weak.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HL-oOFnSi8&feature=related[/youtube]

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2009, 9:51 am

Morgana wrote:
All the male characters of the Peanuts comics have AS traits: Charlie Brown has social problems and obsesses about life in general (and he goes around and around in circles with his thought patterns- he was the one I related to as a child), Schroeder has an intense narrow interest, Linus is a "little professor" as well as a "little philosopher", and Pigpen is pretty socially out of it too.
In contrast, all the female characters seem to be intensely "neurotypical"...(particularly Lucy).

I'm not sure about that. Lucy is a bossy boots; her social skills are actually quite limited; she either "organises" people, gives them advice, or tells them off in a pedantic/pernickety way. And the tomboy could be AS, very retiring/silent, etc. Only the little sister might be "normal"!

Did anyone mention the professor in Tintin? Or the Thompsons?

Carrie in "Carrie's War", ( by Nina Bawden ), and maybe her brother, and the boy staying at the Wouldbegoods, and David in "I am David". Badger in "The Wind in the Willows", at least half of the children in the "Swallows and Amazons series", Uncle Quentin in the Famous Five series, Jim in "Lucky Jim" by Kingsley Amis, and most of Anita Brookner's hero(ine)s, aswell as lots in Flannery O'Connor's stories.

In older books the interesting thing is that there are masses of possible/likely Aspergers characters, but their eccentricity or difference is completely taken for granted, accepted, even admired/appreciated.

Last edited by ouinon on 09 Mar 2009, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.