Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2008, 2:17 pm

Hi everybody,

I haven't been on here in ages and figured I'd give an update. Last year, Noah (who is in 4th grade) was really struggling in school. He had a teacher who would constantly make negative comments and wasn't supportive. This year he has a wonderful teacher and is really making progress. I'm so happy. He even got an A in spelling! His teachers have found a way to help him express his interests through writing. He even did a Powerpoint presentation on Skyscrapers (his interest at the time).

Socially, he is doing better also. I even took him to his first school dance on Friday. He did not participate in any of the group games, but he did hang out with some friends on occasion.

And this is an example of something he just wrote on his own. This was during his aircraft faze...he wrote it off the top of his head:

THE SCRAM JET IS AN EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT THAT IS LAUNCHED FROM A JUMBO JET. THE SCRAM JET HAS AN UNMANNED AIRCRAFT INSIDE WHICH IS CALLED THE X-43. THE X-43 IS ABOUT TWELVE FEET LONG AND CAN TRAVEL TO ABOUT TO 7,000 MPH HOUR. THE SCRAM JET'S SPEED IS 19,000 MPH. THAT IS 1,000 MPH MORE THAN THE ROCKET THAT WAS FLOWN IN RUSSIA IN TH LATE FIFTY'S. THE SCRAM JET'S MACH IS A MACH 25. A MACH IS THE SPEED OF SOUND WHICH IS 760 MPH. IF YOU GO FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND YOU MAKE THIS SOUND THAT IS CALLED THE SONIC BOOM. THE SONIC BOOM IS A LOUD BOOM NOISE THAT HAPPENS IF YOU'RE GOING FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND. THERE IS ANOTHER AIRCRAFT CALLED THE X-33. IT IS THE FASTEST PLANE IN THE WORLD AND IT GOES ABOUT 10,000 MPH. IT WILL FIRST BE LAUNCHED IN UTAH. IT WILL ALSO LAND IN UTAH. THESE TWO AIR CRAFTS ARE BOTH UNMANNED AND THEY BOTH GO FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND. THEY ARE STILL EXPERIMENTING WITH THESE AIR CRAFTS. THEY ARE ALSO MADE BY NASA. NASA IS A COMPANY THAT WORKS FOR THE GOVERNMENT. WHEN THEY ARE READY THEY WILL GO INTO SPACE.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 2:40 pm

I'm all smiles reading your post.

Our kids can thrive with the right guidance and support. They really can. And when their special interests can be properly channeled in a way that allows them to shine, it also helps with the social side. They can earn the respect of their peers. It is fun to watch it happen.

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2008, 2:47 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I'm all smiles reading your post.

Our kids can thrive with the right guidance and support. They really can. And when their special interests can be properly channeled in a way that allows them to shine, it also helps with the social side. They can earn the respect of their peers. It is fun to watch it happen.

Absolutely! I'm all smiles as well :) It was so hard watching him struggle last year. After countless IEP, I feel like we are finally getting some where. I just pray the help he's getting continues.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 3:01 pm

so happy to see he's doing well !

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2008, 3:06 pm

ster wrote:
so happy to see he's doing well !

tnx ster!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 6:54 pm

kattoo13 wrote:
Hi everybody,

I haven't been on here in ages and figured I'd give an update. Last year, Noah (who is in 4th grade) was really struggling in school. He had a teacher who would constantly make negative comments and wasn't supportive. This year he has a wonderful teacher and is really making progress. I'm so happy. He even got an A in spelling! His teachers have found a way to help him express his interests through writing. He even did a Powerpoint presentation on Skyscrapers (his interest at the time).

Socially, he is doing better also. I even took him to his first school dance on Friday. He did not participate in any of the group games, but he did hang out with some friends on occasion.

And this is an example of something he just wrote on his own. This was during his aircraft faze...he wrote it off the top of his head:

THE SCRAM JET IS AN EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT THAT IS LAUNCHED FROM A JUMBO JET. THE SCRAM JET HAS AN UNMANNED AIRCRAFT INSIDE WHICH IS CALLED THE X-43. THE X-43 IS ABOUT TWELVE FEET LONG AND CAN TRAVEL TO ABOUT TO 7,000 MPH HOUR. THE SCRAM JET'S SPEED IS 19,000 MPH. THAT IS 1,000 MPH MORE THAN THE ROCKET THAT WAS FLOWN IN RUSSIA IN TH LATE FIFTY'S. THE SCRAM JET'S MACH IS A MACH 25. A MACH IS THE SPEED OF SOUND WHICH IS 760 MPH. IF YOU GO FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND YOU MAKE THIS SOUND THAT IS CALLED THE SONIC BOOM. THE SONIC BOOM IS A LOUD BOOM NOISE THAT HAPPENS IF YOU'RE GOING FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND. THERE IS ANOTHER AIRCRAFT CALLED THE X-33. IT IS THE FASTEST PLANE IN THE WORLD AND IT GOES ABOUT 10,000 MPH. IT WILL FIRST BE LAUNCHED IN UTAH. IT WILL ALSO LAND IN UTAH. THESE TWO AIR CRAFTS ARE BOTH UNMANNED AND THEY BOTH GO FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND. THEY ARE STILL EXPERIMENTING WITH THESE AIR CRAFTS. THEY ARE ALSO MADE BY NASA. NASA IS A COMPANY THAT WORKS FOR THE GOVERNMENT. WHEN THEY ARE READY THEY WILL GO INTO SPACE.

Well, not bad for a 9 year old, and CLOSE! Then again, it may be better than some that work for NASA. :lol: