Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 3:05 pm

I spend a lot of time flapping... I do it everyday for hours, its my favorite thing to do. While flapping, I think of stuff... Just whatever's on my mind... And have fantasies about things for hours (for example, if I'm thinking about BMW M5s, I will have a fantasy about owning one and events where I would use it for hours!

Anyone else do this? Or similar?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 3:07 pm

I'm constantly stimming; but generally it's not the only thing I'm doing. The closest analogue to what you're describing would probably be the way I spin glass beads to look at the way the light reflects off them, mostly when I'm trying to do schoolwork and have gotten stuck. I find this kind of thing helps me to think more clearly; plus it looks pretty. Usually when I'm stimming in some way (rocking, tapping feet, tugging at my hair, twitching, etc.) I'm doing something else too.

Just a guess--would you describe this as "processing time", catching up on the backlog of stuff you've been taking in during the past few hours? Seems like many of us need that.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Nov 2008, 3:18 pm

This sounds exactly like what I did when I was your age, but I do not do it any more.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 3:22 pm

Yeah, I used to stim exclusively when I was a kid, too. My mom tells me I used to spend an hour running in circles before I could sleep. :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 5:09 pm

yes,am constantly stim-rocking is main one,hand movements next-not always flapping.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 5:37 pm

I stim a lot, especially when nervous or on my own. Sometimes I flap my hands, well it's more like shaking than flapping.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

OccamsIndecision
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2008, 5:49 pm

I don't know exactly what you mean by flapping, but I often rock my hand left and right, alternately tapping my thumb and ring finger/pinky. Sometimes I'm aware of it and try to play with the timing.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 6:10 pm

you sound like me, love to flap, everywhere i go i flap, in stores, restaurants, movies, everywhere haha, flapping is the new in, everybody should try it lol, jp.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 6:22 pm

to be honest- I've never flapped. I'm always open to new stimming ideas though LOL I've tried flapping and it does nothing for me.

I love to walk in the woods with my dog, where no one can see me, and just wave my whole arms back and forth.

my favourite stim would be rocking (when I'm totally alone) and chewing on things (usually my fingers/nails/hair) plus tapping a rythm with my fingers.

(I should probably get a set of drums, I know)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2008, 6:49 pm

Age1600 wrote:
you sound like me, love to flap, everywhere i go i flap, in stores, restaurants, movies, everywhere haha, flapping is the new in, everybody should try it lol, jp.

OK, what does JP mean?

Doesn't anyone bully you, etc... and call you names with all the flapping?

I have never flapped, but it DOES seem like those that do have a great deal of fun doing so. ODD!

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 2:07 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Age1600 wrote:

OK, what does JP mean?

Doesn't anyone bully you, etc... and call you names with all the flapping?

I have never flapped, but it DOES seem like those that do have a great deal of fun doing so. ODD!

jp means just playing. u know its funny, i get weird looks and etc, but no bullying at all. my bf has a huge car club, and they all smile when i flap and headshake. i think where i grow up, the people im surrounded by and the stores we visit quite often all seem to understand more and more, i was sitting in a restaurant flapping headshaking once and nobody stared nothing, the waitress jsut smiled, it was really interesting. I def do get stares and weird looks, but nothing serious as bullying.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2008, 2:18 pm

I don't really flap that much. I usually rock or pace and I do it so I can think, to calm myself down, when i'm excited... actually I just do it for any reason now I come to think about it!