Patrick Swayze's cancer spread - prognosis grim

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:32 am

I had an aunt who lost a battle with cancer. Nothing's funny about cancer, b9. I know you just couldn't resist being clever. People like you are addicted to being clever but really aren't all that wise.

:( :x :roll:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:34 am

If I were in Mr. Swayze's shoes, I would be spending my remaining days with my family and getting right with God. Who knows? It could happen to me. It might very well happen to me.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:44 am

MissConstrue wrote:
:(

i can not even understand the expressions of emoticons.
so what does your emoticon mean?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:50 am

slowmutant wrote:
I had an aunt who lost a battle with cancer. Nothing's funny about cancer, b9. I know you just couldn't resist being clever. People like you are addicted to being clever but really aren't all that wise.

:( :x :roll:

i know nothing is funny about cancer.
i was not clever because my rhyme was just whatever i could dredge up at that time.
what i was was inconsiderate and i now know that.

i did not perceive the depth of meaning to the post and i just was wrong and shallow.
i will so much try to ascertain the gravity of serious topics before i reply to them again.

i am very unwise and that is why i can not make friends who matter.
but there i go. i have no brakes as i roll through my inability to be real and feeling.

i am sorry your aunt died of cancer.
i wish i had more empathy.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:54 am

It isn't your fault that my aunt died of cancer, b9. You didn't know. To be honest I wasn't really emotionally close to her while she was alive.

Please, don't beat yourself up about it.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:01 am

i am not. i am told to be apologetic to people i make angry.
you seemed angry.
whatever.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:08 am

I was angry, for a short while, but now I'm not.

A text-based medium doesn't allow me to emote much, even with the emoticons.

When you said you even didn't know what this emoticon :( meant, I was incredulous. For a few seconds I didn't believe you. Then I thought to myself, "Awww, don't be too hard on him."

I wrote an even nastier post directed at you but I deleted it because I didn't want to go too far and overreact to what you had said. I didn't want to upset you unduly.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:17 am

slowmutant wrote:
I was angry, for a short while, but now I'm not.

A text-based medium doesn't allow me to emote much, even with the emoticons.

When you said you even didn't know what this emoticon :( meant, I was incredulous. For a few seconds I didn't believe you. Then I thought to myself, "Awww, don't be too hard on him."

I wrote an even nastier post directed at you but I deleted it because I didn't want to go too far and overreact to what you had said. I didn't want to upset you unduly.

so what does that emoticon mean?
anyway i am going to bed now because i feel sleepy and your comments are cleaning my feathers as they roll off my back.

i do not need pity. even though i may be light years behind you, i am still in a world where i want to be.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 12:36 pm

b9 wrote:
well i did not say that last bit that you are quoting. you are confused i am sure. i do not derive entertainment from seeing others suffering and i do not like you to impute that i do.

i just made a very insensitive and inappropriate rhyme because i was tired and not serious. my judgment was poor. i did not think about the man when i made the rhyme. only his name.

but i get gnarly people who are disgruntled at my attitude they impose on me.

sorry ok?

I can't impose an attitude on you, b9. I can only read what you write.

all I wanted you to do was to think of the man's wishes.

Merle

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 4:07 pm

:( means "I am sad"

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 4:26 pm

don't you guys (sinsboldly and slowmutant) get enough crap for lacking empathy IRL? :hmph:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 4:39 pm

I do not lack empathy.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 4:51 pm

^^good for you. but a lot of people who come here do.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 5:02 pm

Yes, I know.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 6:19 pm

Get off your high horses. People respond differently to cancer and there is no particular reason to be more empathetic to a celebrity.

When my friend got cancer it kind of didn't really sink in. Fortunately hodgkins lymphoma has a high success rate of treatment so we can celebrate that he finished after months of gruelling treatment. We didn't know he was going to get through it.

I guess we sort of have a bizarre sense of humour, me and my friends. One guy who administered his kemo injected him in the wrong place. So I was joking about him about how they had accidently mixed up bisto (UK brand of granulated gravy that is horrible) with kemo. So instead of injecting him with a substance that kills cells they injected him with high cholesterol which clogs archeries! They had realised their mistake but didn't want to draw attention to the problem. ;) :lol: Also he used to have a little flutter at the bookies when he would got to the hospital. When his immune system was down he got shingles. He was isolated from the others when he visited the ward for a while. I joked with him that his gambling was becoming a problem, and I knew of his conspiracies to get the in-patients in the ward addicted to gambling too. I said I didn’t really agree with it, but because he was such a good friend I would help him in his evil plan given that he wasn’t allowed contact with them ;)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 7:51 pm

Being able to laugh in spite of a dire situation is absolutely crucial. I've never had cancer, but during my struggle with depression it was my sense of humour that helped sustain me.

0_equals_true, it sounds like you were a good buddy to your friend during his time of need. You didn't let it get too serious or maudlin, which is very good.

I salute you.