If you are not sure if you have Aspergers or not, explain.

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

millie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 3:47 pm

Quote:
However, based on your title alone: I was very recently diagnosed but am flirting with the notion of casting it aside and resuming my normal life as though I never got diagnosed. I fit many of the criteria except the militant, anti-everyone-else-not-like-me-and-complete-distrust-for-"NTs" mentality.
That is why I don't aspire to be associated with the "aspie" community any more than the "NT" community.
Quote:

and here i agree with NT.

I'm dubious about fitting in with any community...ratbags and angels are everywhere. and besides, i actually like being an albatross....stopping off at this ship for a while and then flying off to the next. tailing and trailing or flying ahead...but always just a little apart from the communal group. Something about proximity irks me - whether in an aspie or NT community. and gee, the longer i go on, the more i find those terms facile.

My dx is for me. it explains a lot and has been a relief. but that doesn't actually mean i want to attend the next World Aspie Convention. no offence to anyone - it's just my way of wanting and choosing to live. and i don;t want my identity to be purely based on my Aspergers. it is a component and not the whole.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 4:18 am

I've never been diagnosed with Asperger's, but believe I may have it & hope to be.

Traits I do have of Asperger's:

Under A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

Under B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(1) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals <a little>
(3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)

C. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

social, occupational, + more...

D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

There was no speech delay

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

This is an area where I differ. I had developmental delays.... I couldn't tie my shoes til I was 14-16.. I couldn't brush my hair til I was 12, played with Barbies til 14-16 :oops:.......

F. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

I don't think I have PDD, & I know I don't have schizophrenia.

Traits I don't have of Asperger's:

Under A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
I can recognize facial expression, gestures, etc., though I don't always judge them accurately

Under B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(4) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
I've never had a problem with this

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 4:51 am

I most definitely would have been diagnosed with AS as a child, had my psychiatrist not been interested only in conditions that could be treated with drugs (as I've seen it, doctors who don't want to see Asperger's won't find it, while those that do will find it everywhere). Now, as I had a lot of therapy, some of it thankfully not involving pills, a lot of people telling me what I should and shouldn't do to be appropriate, and a lot of incentive to take it all in, I probably would slip under the radar in many cases... however, I still have several of the traits - enough to be diagnosed if the right person is looking.

A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction - YES. Not as much as was true when I was younger, but I still don't do eye contact much. I used to be much weirder when it came to body language when younger, however.

(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level YES. I tend to get along with people a few years younger or a lot older than me, but rarely people of about my own age, and feel bewildered around them.

(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people) - NO. In fact, I've always been the opposite, trying to get people to see what I did and like it.

(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity - MIXED. While I feel heavily and deeply for people I know and care about, or for certain people in certain situations, I've been told and have noticed in myself that I don't seem to care about most people's day-to-day lives, and in fact find them mundane, confusing and even annoying to hear about.

B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(1) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus YES. Often I obsessed over works of fiction, my own or other people's, to the exclusion of most other interests or requirements of me.
(2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals NO.
(3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements) NO. Not that I'm aware of, anyways.
(4) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects NO.

C. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. MIXED. On the one hand I feel incredibly lonely and isolated, often going through friends quickly without knowing what went wrong, and can screw up in social situations. On the other hand, I have done well, even in social respects, when I have to, especially as time has gone on, such as at school and in interviewing for/holding jobs.

D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years). YES.

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood. YES.
I was a bit slow on the uptake, and scatterbrained and forgetful in learning things, but once I got them, I was fine.

F. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia. YES.

Other things to consider: I do have a lot of the peripheral Aspie symptoms: Sensory issues (sound, light and touch-related, mostly), being very verbose but not knowing when I bore people unless told, being asexual, and being literal and socially naive at points, among other things.

However, some of the diagnostic criteria I fit, as well as the sensory issues, could also be explained in part by my medical history. I spent a lot of time as a little kid (approximately a year and a half, especially in the first few years) in the hospital instead of at home around people in a normal context, learning how things worked. Some of the sensory stuff, such as my dislike of people spontaneously touching me, of bright lights and of certain smells, could come from that as well. Things like my aversion to certain food textures and my light sensitivities could also result simply from the medical conditions I have - with few teeth I can only eat with my tongue, and therefore I pick up on texture a lot, and I have heavy corneal scarring, which means my eyes are very sensitive. Lastly, the bullying, the being viewed as a "problem child" and the supposed "treatment" I got growing up by peers and adults alike probably made a lasting impact on how I perceived and dealt with people, and how much I chose to interact with them growing up.

It's hard to say whether I could get diagnosed, or if I really fit the diagnosis at this stage in my life.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 3:09 pm

A.)
1.) Very minor these days. I'd have to ask someone else to be sure. I did lack appropriate eye contact when I was younger.

2.) Yes. I've always had a few friends my own age but I when I was little I often wanted adults to be my playmates because they were more cooperative than the other kids.

3.) No. I've always liked to share. When I was little I got upset when others kids didn't show enough interested in me.

4.) Yes but not always. It depends on the person and the setting. I feel like I can connect quite easily with intellectual types, mostly INTP's but also 'artsy' people. I have no idea how to connect with people I have nothing in common with.

B.)
1.) Yes. It irritates me that this is such a problem with NT's. They have their own stereotyped interests - sports, fashion, sex, etc. I simply have different ones. Apparently the definition of 'nerd' is having any interest that lies outside stereotyped NT interest set. I also never liked rote or trivial stuff like license plate numbers. That's an irritating stereotype. I like thinking about 'deep' things. Trivia bores me.

2.) Yes. I sometimes have anxiety if I'm not allowed to do things my own way, the way in which I'm familiar. I think the reason for this isn't so much that I'm completely inflexible as it is that I'm just more comfortable figuring things out for myself and having my own method.

3.) Nothing major. I touch my face a lot when I'm thinking.

4.) No (Not sure what this is getting at).

C.) Yes.

D.) Yes. No speech delay. I talked early.

E.) Yes. No major skill delays. I was always very curious. I pestered adults with 'why' questions all the time. There were few things I was a little behind with early in school though. I had some ADHD traits that made learning some stuff harder than others despite having an above normal IQ. It took me a little longer to develop good reading comprehension.

F.) Yes.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 5:42 pm

:roll: :roll:

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 6:48 pm

Diagnostic criteria for 299.80 Asperger's Disorder
(cautionary statement)

A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction

I rarely make eye contact, my facial expression rarely changes, and my posture is crap

Outside of my roleplaying group who are not the coolist people on the block I have no friends.

(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)

I hardly ever leave the house and avoid going to social events. When I was a kid a few times forced myself to be sick to avoid going to social functions with friends.

I do not like saying thank you for compliments

B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(1) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus

I talk about intrests such as stopmotion animation, horror film, heavy metal music, and firearms non-stop even if it could get me in trouble with a boss watching

(2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals

I had a place I like to sit in the break room and when people sat there it made me nervous. I had work areas where I needed things to be placed in certain location or I would become agitated and angry,

(3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)

I tap my feet and click pens

When I was working in the machine shop I would love to take things apart. People would save disassembly jobs for me as an award for doing something else for them that helped them greatly.

C. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

I was in speech therapy from first grade to fifth grade

I am going to start testing on August 6th to get a full diagnosis. 8)

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 6:51 pm

Yes, I'm not sure if I have it or not. I've been reading a lot about AS for a few months now and I seem to fit about 85% of the criteria but a lot of the main stuff I don't fit.

For example:

1) I don't think I have eye contact issues
2) I can read people well
3) I understand social situations but they just don't seem "right" to me

The AS symptoms outnumber those three however:

- I feel best when I'm by myself. I feel most alone when I'm in social situations (usually I get drunk to deal)
- sensory issues (heat, food texture etc.)
- mild stimming
- feeling like an alien no matter where I go (I actually ran away to Japan for reasons I can't explain and feel more comfortable here than in my home country)
- no filter whatsoever
- clumsiness (gross motor)
- OCD
- problems with empathy (I cannot comfort people, inappropriate emotions for certain situations, not liking touch or hugging)
- closer relations with animals than humans
- special interests and obsessions
- bullied in JHS for being "weird"
- attraction to shiny, colorful objects
- collecting things but not really "playing" with them
- adherence to routine (I eat the same food everyday, done this since childhood, I get upset if my routine is broken)

I'll be 31 this year and am a female. I've always known I was different from other people but my family never thought anything of it. They just figured it was my personality, At this point I don't know if I have LEARNED social cues or known them all along. I can't remember that far back in my childhood. I'd like to seek a diagnosis or just visit a shrink in general, but I don't have the money to do so at the moment.

If anyone can provide more insight I'd really appreciate it!

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 7:07 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
:roll: :roll:
:?

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 7:45 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
I'm sorry, but if a post isn't under 20 or 30 words- I can't stay focused long enough to care what it says.
On top of that are all those big, fancy words and acronyms I know not the first thing about.

However, based on your title alone: I was very recently diagnosed but am flirting with the notion of casting it aside and resuming my normal life as though I never got diagnosed. I fit many of the criteria except the militant, anti-everyone-else-not-like-me-and-complete-distrust-for-"NTs" mentality.
That is why I don't aspire to be associated with the "aspie" community any more than the "NT" community.

This is me too. I fit in with everything except being rigid an unflexible as well but i was that way as a child, which is the group the criteria are intended for anyway. I'm almost sure I could get a DX but I definitely don
t like that attitude, i see a lot of people here who don't seem that way though.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 11:11 am

Long post, but that's a lot of questions to answer!

Diagnostic criteria for 299.80 Asperger's Disorder
(cautionary statement)

I have learned to make appropriate eye contact and to maintain a neutral facial expression, but they are not my normal behaviors.

I had zero friends my own age in jr high and high school. The one kid I did hang out with in high school was 3 years younger than I. At this point in my life, other than my boyfriend, I have zero friends. This has been true for over 10 years.

Not sure on this one. I have a tendency to either lecture/pontificate on a subject (if it interests me), or volunteer absolutely nothing.

Ohyeah. I have largely learned how to reciprocate socially, but it does not come naturally to me. Emotionally, I either am detached or I over-empathize.

Not sure how this is defined, clinically. What is "encompassing", what is "abnormal focus or intensity"? When I become interested in something, I can become kind of obsessed with it. I can easily become so focused on something that I ignore everything going on around me, lose track of time. E.G: when I was active on a particular message board, years ago, it was not uncommon for me to stay up all night typing a response to something. I took pride in being a threadkiller by covering EVERYTHING that could be said on the topic, leaving my "opponent" nowhere to go.

(2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals

Not sure on this one. I know that if I don't have a set routine, I accomplish nothing. Far too easily distracted, or I get wrapped up in one thing and never get on to other things I need to do. I do have a habit of counting my steps - I used to know exactly how many steps it was from my front door to my friend's front door and from school home ( over a mile in each case), and it just HAD TO be the same everytime.

YES. I have managed to almost completely supress them, but once in a while they come out. Case in point: last thanksgiving, my bf and I were invited by one his very-well-off friends to join her, her son & his wife for dinner at a very, very formal, exclusive, high-end restaurant. Halfway though the meal, the daughter-in-law commented that I must be really enjoying my meal. At that point I realized that I:
1) had my eyes closed
2) was rocking
3) was audibly humming as I ate
and
4)was kicking my legs back and forth under my chair like a very happy preschooler. 8O :oops: :lol:

OOps. In my defense, I believe that, when the food portion of the bill for 5 people is very close to $750 (plus tip!8O8O8O, the food should induce uncontrollable spontaneous orgasms.

Hmmmmmmmmmm . . . not sure if this one applies or not.

When I delude myself into thinking people would be interested in reading my autobiography, I'll detail all the ways this applies. :wall:

True.

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

True.

F. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

True, so far as I know.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 12:00 pm

I think I am stuck smack in between, and do not meet the full criteria for AS. PDD-NOS would be a fairly strong possibility, though.

vivinator wrote:

Eye contact is not natural to me. I've had it pointed out to me by my parents, and also by my boss at work. Not that I totally despise it, but it is something that takes a lot of conscious thought and absolutely won't happen unless I make myself, or I'm VERY comfortable with that person. I often have a sense that my mannerisms are close-but-no-cigar.

Quote:

I did have friends, but was a social outcast for the most part. The school where I would say I made the most TRUE friends was one where there were a lot of nerds and geeks, and academic success was considered much more "acceptable." In college, though, I found I was able to make a few friends but it got much, MUCH harder again, and the interaction, such as it was, with roommates the year that I was unfortunate enough to have them was disastrous. As an adult, I have co-workers I am on good terms with, but I actually cannot name an IRL friend. Maybe I'll have some luck at the con this year.

At one school, I lost myself almost every opportunity for friends because of hair-pulling, and being ostracized not just by other kids, but by teachers who were in on the bullying as well.

But, this is something I would say is borderline. I do connect with those with similar interests, and have a desire to do so. I just find it a) rare to find someone I really relate to, and b) daunting.

Quote:

Nope. I want to share, but I've learned that my kind of sharing isn't appreciated by the general population, only by a few. I've been told I am in charge of the "Department of Useless Information." Playfully, by my parents, but there is truth in it.

Quote:

This is the criterion I have the most trouble telling about. If something bad happens to you, I'll feel bad about it, and I will really feel for you. Basic pleasantries, though, idle chit-chat...I've mentally checked out on you. So I would call this one a qualified "does not meet."

Quote:

Ohhhhh, boy. #1 is the story of my life. I can define periods of my life by my special interests--which are not necessarily abnormal in and of themselves, but I know my degree of focus is. This is a definite "yes" and probably my strongest Aspie-type trait.

#2--I do not like my routines disturbed, but don't get hugely bent out of shape about a disruption...though if you a) come in my house and want to stay for any length of time or b) mess with my coffee shop, I will NOT be happy with you. My job, however, involves a degree of uncertainty because my supervisor is in another state, and I like not having her breathing down my neck. I can set my schedule as I see fit. That said, I am in the role of assessing to a set standard, and I like having that structure. Qualified "does not meet" here.

#3--I fidget. A lot. That does still include hair-pulling, though I am trying to curb it. Though I think that's a fidget, not a stim--probably the ADHD at work. So probably "does not meet."

#4--Don't see how that one relates to me.

Quote:

Depends on what one sees as clinically significant. If "no IRL friends in adulthood" counts, then yes, but if it has to be to the point of "cannot deal with casual/co-worker relationships," then no. Borderline.

Though physical clumsiness...gross motor skills are NOT the best, and I was definitely behind and still am compared to others my age. I possibly could have benefited from an adaptive PE class instead of being in with the other kids.

Quote:

True, although my grammar was pretty scrambled at 2 years old until my mom taught me how to read.

Quote:

True. "Curiosity about the environment" was my middle name! ;)

Quote:

I'd have to see the criteria for PDD-NOS...then I can make the call on that one. Schizophrenia is a definite "no."

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 7:47 pm

Basically, I'm female and have other diagnoses and stuff and I have eye contact so if I have it, it would be hard to diagnose.

I'm not sure... I use eye contact and I can I think interpret facial expressions right, but I know for myself at least my own gestures are odd, and I've been told I have a flat affect
A big yes, had trouble since I was a kid
I don't know what I was like as a kid in this area, but actually I'm pretty talkative about what I like
Yes, I have terrible social skills and lack the recognition of social cues to properly regulate social activities.

Yes... does focusing on birds and Sonic the Hedgehog all the time count? I'm more knowledgeable than usually in both areas.
Not that I know of
Yes, I pace, twist around when bored, sometimes hand flap, rock
I don't think so

Yes, I have terrible social functioning.

Yes

Yes

[b]This is where it becomes complex since I am dxed with a form of schizophrenia....

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 8:35 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:

#3--I fidget. A lot. That does still include hair-pulling, though I am trying to curb it. Though I think that's a fidget, not a stim--probably the ADHD at work. So probably "does not meet."

What is exactly the difference between a "fidget" and a "stim" (note that I am not an English-speaker)?

I (specially when thinking) usually need to do something with my hands - holding a pen, playing with the shoelaces or with a rubber band, etc. This is a fidget, a stim or can be the two things?

EaglesSayMeow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2010, 9:15 am

-I'm not too sure of this one. I'm relatively biased when it comes to my own actions (who isn't?) but I know that I tend to have trouble with facial expressions.
-At my old school, yeah. I had very very few peer relationships from ages 5-12. Actually, I only had one close one. Now, at 13, I have a few, but my friends themselves are a bit odd. It would be hard to mess up a friendship with those four, they're pretty open to me acting weird as long as I don't judge them in return.
-I go on and on about special interests. Other than that, I'm content on my own.
-Yes. I don't have much empathy at all, because movies don't really 'hit' me that way. Same in real life, to be honest.

-Yeah. Mostly in intensity. My friend has agreed that my interests tend to be very intense, more so than normal. (see http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2875096.html#2875096 for a list of my special interests for the last 5 years)
-Eh. Sometimes. I freak out when I make a schedule for doing my homework and my mom messes with it.
-don't think so?
-I have no clue with this one.

-I didn't used to think so but discussions with friends have shown that I am impaired by this. I just never noticed

-As far as I can tell...

-My cognitive development is fine. My self-help skills are fine.

F. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia
-???

Call me Trish, please.