Page 22 of 23 [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 5 Dec 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 299
Location: Eugene, OR

27 May 2013, 3:31 am

It's interesting to read about everyone's experience with NLD because it differs from person to person.

I'm horrible at math. I do not like word problems because they're too difficult for me to comprehend and I do not care for the problems where they have geometrical figures in them and they ask you to pull the algebraic equation from it and solve it.

I avoid chemistry as well. Balancing the chemical equations are horrible.

P.E. for me is so-so. I don't mind the activities where no sports is involved. My perception of hitting a ball was always off.

Art is okay. I gave up on drawing when I realized I wasn't that good at it. The only art class I did enjoy was ceramics. The teacher didn't really care what your project looked like as long as it was presentable.

My favorite subjects so far are writing, English, foreign language, history, and any sociology class. I'm pretty good at writing but starting any writing project is hard for me as I don't know where to begin. English is a given and I come by learning foreign language easily. Enunciation is a whole different story. History is always fascinating to learn about and sociology classes like psychology and criminology are also fascinating as well.

Mind you, my experiences come from elementary, middle, and high school and I'm in college right now.


_________________
Officially diagnosed with nonverbal learning disability, social anxiety disorder, and dsythymic disorder.


Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,453
Location: Tropical island

28 May 2013, 12:56 am

My likes are similar except I liked chemistry since I went to a tutor. Biochemistry was even better since it combined biology & how chemistry works in the human body. Now I know why parallel parking has always been so difficult for me (NVLD).


_________________
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure."


RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 5 Dec 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 299
Location: Eugene, OR

28 May 2013, 1:00 am

I also love anything involving words such as crossword puzzles, word searches, and reading the dictionary. :P


_________________
Officially diagnosed with nonverbal learning disability, social anxiety disorder, and dsythymic disorder.


glow
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,838
Location: England

28 May 2013, 9:47 am

You always can find plenty of information on aspergers but never about nlvd, probably because its less widely known besides less verbal differences.

People who acknowledge their own disorders may still find they have very little awareness of the happenings around them. In some parts of a county you get more understanding and awareness being met than others and the stats show up in articles and newspapers. all I know is that whenever I couldn't understand the gist of something that well or needed some explaining about something, I was more or less shunned off with others with mental disturbance issues. so in other words I still wasn't getting acknowledged on a task that was being read out because of people distracting me and later on my confidence issues began to swell up. I mean, I never even got a diagnosis of any kind until I was 20, seriously undermining my self-esteem in the process of my teens and early childhood. I v come to accept that it would indeed be impossible without any sort of intervention at all to have accurate tests or clear diagnostic sense to divulge the differences and similarities between onset of autism lets say to nlvd or asd.
Its because narrow minded obstinate people who cant hear you or understand your mental thinking are leading you down the route of dismissal or false diagnosis which is why perhaps I find myself in the thinking stages of this likely scenario yet again.

http://www.nldline.com/yvonna.htm
http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2010/12 ... rning.html



RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 5 Dec 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 299
Location: Eugene, OR

28 May 2013, 11:43 am

Everytime I personally try to raise awareness people ignore it.


_________________
Officially diagnosed with nonverbal learning disability, social anxiety disorder, and dsythymic disorder.


glow
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,838
Location: England

28 May 2013, 12:13 pm

I am not asking for a personal definition from anyone else or who they think has got it, I was merely adding to this discussion what I found typical of the awareness issues surrounding both this medical condition and asd. I found that the differences weren't that random but quite marginalised in how the data is processed at an early age. There are slight subtle clues, like in nld, you can look at someone for too long and be unaware of the spatial timing you need but with gradual ease of someone relaying this to you, then you begin to see it is an occurrence and something that needs to change. in asd, its like they are told something, but carry on anyway, just to define and absolve a definition within obsessional and abstract boundaries.
There are loads of ways to sum up people, but many of whom don't like to be given a safe diagnosis to their worried assurance whether they are right wrong or whatever.
I'd be interested in what someone can relate to with this definition from a specific event and including verbal and non-spatial awareness.



daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,140
Location: My own little world

28 May 2013, 12:17 pm

Moondust wrote:
Me too, the same thing. I'm curious...what traits make you think you may have AS too? I'm still analyzing that in myself, so this is very interesting to me.


The thing that's supposed to distinguish between ASD and NLD together vs just NLD is repetitive behaviours and interests (e.g stimming, special interests, obsessive routines ect). Also the social impairment in ASD is supposed to be more severe than in NLD but since there's no defined threshold of social impairment beyond which you're autistic the repetitive behaviors are what they usually use to distinguish the two. In terms of quality (as opposed to quantity -severity of impairment) the social impairment in ASD and NLD is similar (non-verbal communication problems , both expressive and receptive, social and emotional reciprocity problems, relationships not developed and maintained to appropriate level).



glow
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,838
Location: England

29 May 2013, 7:47 am

daydreamer84 wrote:
Moondust wrote:
Me too, the same thing. I'm curious...what traits make you think you may have AS too? I'm still analyzing that in myself, so this is very interesting to me.


The thing that's supposed to distinguish between ASD and NLD together vs just NLD is repetitive behaviours and interests (e.g stimming, special interests, obsessive routines ect). Also the social impairment in ASD is supposed to be more severe than in NLD but since there's no defined threshold of social impairment beyond which you're autistic the repetitive behaviors are what they usually use to distinguish the two. In terms of quality (as opposed to quantity -severity of impairment) the social impairment in ASD and NLD is similar (non-verbal communication problems , both expressive and receptive, social and emotional reciprocity problems, relationships not developed and maintained to appropriate level).


I wasn't sure I was quoting relationships in general, as being in a relationship or having one is not the same as the persons own developmental state. You are not the carer or the spokesperson for someone s mental issues whether you think you are or you're not.
As far as awareness of your own condition goes there's ultimately some barriers or boundaries to employment, I was bringing this thread up, as there wasn't many on W.P like it.



daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,140
Location: My own little world

29 May 2013, 10:57 pm

glow wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
Moondust wrote:
Me too, the same thing. I'm curious...what traits make you think you may have AS too? I'm still analyzing that in myself, so this is very interesting to me.


The thing that's supposed to distinguish between ASD and NLD together vs just NLD is repetitive behaviours and interests (e.g stimming, special interests, obsessive routines ect). Also the social impairment in ASD is supposed to be more severe than in NLD but since there's no defined threshold of social impairment beyond which you're autistic the repetitive behaviors are what they usually use to distinguish the two. In terms of quality (as opposed to quantity -severity of impairment) the social impairment in ASD and NLD is similar (non-verbal communication problems , both expressive and receptive, social and emotional reciprocity problems, relationships not developed and maintained to appropriate level).


I wasn't sure I was quoting relationships in general, as being in a relationship or having one is not the same as the persons own developmental state. You are not the carer or the spokesperson for someone s mental issues whether you think you are or you're not.
As far as awareness of your own condition goes there's ultimately some barriers or boundaries to employment, I was bringing this thread up, as there wasn't many on W.P like it.


I don't understand what you're trying to say here. I was just explaining to Moondust the differences between just NLD and ASD and NLD together. The main difference is repetitive behaviours are present with NLD and asd TOGETHER but not with just NLD. Then I was just explaining that the social impairment is supposed to be more severe in ASD but that thetype/quality of social impairment is similar in ASD and NLD. I wasn't talking about anything you said at all. I don't think I'm the spokesperson for my condition but if I want to be a spokesperson and share what I know on a forum and thread for people with said condition then I'll go ahead and do so.



RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 5 Dec 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 299
Location: Eugene, OR

30 May 2013, 1:57 pm

glow wrote:
I am not asking for a personal definition from anyone else or who they think has got it, I was merely adding to this discussion what I found typical of the awareness issues surrounding both this medical condition and asd. I found that the differences weren't that random but quite marginalised in how the data is processed at an early age. There are slight subtle clues, like in nld, you can look at someone for too long and be unaware of the spatial timing you need but with gradual ease of someone relaying this to you, then you begin to see it is an occurrence and something that needs to change. in asd, its like they are told something, but carry on anyway, just to define and absolve a definition within obsessional and abstract boundaries.
There are loads of ways to sum up people, but many of whom don't like to be given a safe diagnosis to their worried assurance whether they are right wrong or whatever.
I'd be interested in what someone can relate to with this definition from a specific event and including verbal and non-spatial awareness.


Glow, your posts following my comment are confusing. I was just making a comment and I was not giving you a personal definition.


_________________
Officially diagnosed with nonverbal learning disability, social anxiety disorder, and dsythymic disorder.


glow
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,838
Location: England

31 May 2013, 5:02 am

daydreamer84 wrote:
glow wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
Moondust wrote:
Me too, the same thing. I'm curious...what traits make you think you may have AS too? I'm still analyzing that in myself, so this is very interesting to me.


The thing that's supposed to distinguish between ASD and NLD together vs just NLD is repetitive behaviours and interests (e.g stimming, special interests, obsessive routines ect). Also the social impairment in ASD is supposed to be more severe than in NLD but since there's no defined threshold of social impairment beyond which you're autistic the repetitive behaviors are what they usually use to distinguish the two. In terms of quality (as opposed to quantity -severity of impairment) the social impairment in ASD and NLD is similar (non-verbal communication problems , both expressive and receptive, social and emotional reciprocity problems, relationships not developed and maintained to appropriate level).


I wasn't sure I was quoting relationships in general, as being in a relationship or having one is not the same as the persons own developmental state. You are not the carer or the spokesperson for someone s mental issues whether you think you are or you're not.
As far as awareness of your own condition goes there's ultimately some barriers or boundaries to employment, I was bringing this thread up, as there wasn't many on W.P like it.


I don't understand what you're trying to say here. I was just explaining to Moondust the differences between just NLD and ASD and NLD together. The main difference is repetitive behaviours are present with NLD and asd TOGETHER but not with just NLD. Then I was just explaining that the social impairment is supposed to be more severe in ASD but that thetype/quality of social impairment is similar in ASD and NLD. I wasn't talking about anything you said at all. I don't think I'm the spokesperson for my condition but if I want to be a spokesperson and share what I know on a forum and thread for people with said condition then I'll go ahead and do so.


Yeah and in your profile you said something about being a perpetual student surviving in your own imaginary world. The world as i know it isn't made up of fairies or hallucinations.
The greatest impairment of all is the difference in social abilities and cottoning onto a real discussion. you cant have the both together, asd and nlvd, because then you would possess too many different autistic traits on the same spectrum. The difference is that nlvd sufferers speak their mind more, whilst imagining a whole different ordeal at times and asd people say something which makes little or no sense most of the time.



daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,140
Location: My own little world

31 May 2013, 2:06 pm

glow wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
glow wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
Moondust wrote:
Me too, the same thing. I'm curious...what traits make you think you may have AS too? I'm still analyzing that in myself, so this is very interesting to me.


The thing that's supposed to distinguish between ASD and NLD together vs just NLD is repetitive behaviours and interests (e.g stimming, special interests, obsessive routines ect). Also the social impairment in ASD is supposed to be more severe than in NLD but since there's no defined threshold of social impairment beyond which you're autistic the repetitive behaviors are what they usually use to distinguish the two. In terms of quality (as opposed to quantity -severity of impairment) the social impairment in ASD and NLD is similar (non-verbal communication problems , both expressive and receptive, social and emotional reciprocity problems, relationships not developed and maintained to appropriate level).


I wasn't sure I was quoting relationships in general, as being in a relationship or having one is not the same as the persons own developmental state. You are not the carer or the spokesperson for someone s mental issues whether you think you are or you're not.
As far as awareness of your own condition goes there's ultimately some barriers or boundaries to employment, I was bringing this thread up, as there wasn't many on W.P like it.


I don't understand what you're trying to say here. I was just explaining to Moondust the differences between just NLD and ASD and NLD together. The main difference is repetitive behaviours are present with NLD and asd TOGETHER but not with just NLD. Then I was just explaining that the social impairment is supposed to be more severe in ASD but that thetype/quality of social impairment is similar in ASD and NLD. I wasn't talking about anything you said at all. I don't think I'm the spokesperson for my condition but if I want to be a spokesperson and share what I know on a forum and thread for people with said condition then I'll go ahead and do so.


Yeah and in your profile you said something about being a perpetual student surviving in your own imaginary world. The world as i know it isn't made up of fairies or hallucinations.
The greatest impairment of all is the difference in social abilities and cottoning onto a real discussion. you cant have the both together, asd and nlvd, because then you would possess too many different autistic traits on the same spectrum. The difference is that nlvd sufferers speak their mind more, whilst imagining a whole different ordeal at times and asd people say something which makes little or no sense most of the time.


No, the difference is NLD is associated with spatial/visual processing problems and ASD is not. Some people with ASD are great with directions and maps and puzzles and graphs and other things requiring spatial relations. ASD is associated with repetitive behaviours and NLD is not. Flapping arms and twirling fingers in front of ones eyes constantly as a child and having severe sensory issues or obsessively collecting information on a particular topic and ignoring everything else cannot be explained by NLD. The social problems are similar in both conditions and that's why they overlap. If one clearly has the repetitive behaviors associated with ASD, meets the social impairment criteria for ASD and clearly has particular learning problems with spatial relations and visual perception then they have both conditions. I don't understand what you're trying to say, especially the part that I bolded so I won't specifically address it.



welcometotwinpeaks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 2

05 Jul 2013, 12:03 pm

Hello.

My writing may not be so good as I'm on my mobile phone.

I recently went to a counsellor who it turns out also worked with young people with learning differences. Not knowing this I discussed my life, school troubles and issues and in literally ten minutes she suggested that my assignment this week should be to research non verbal learning disorder.

I was amazed by how much it sounded like me, and while I am not the biggest fan of forums, I wanted to post about this and thank others for posting their experiences.

As a child I excelled academically, but found it difficult to understand other children and typically spoke more to teachers. I also hated physical education, and things that involved graphs, writing that wasn't creative and stimulating, and motor skills. When I did talk to children my age I would either try to emulate their speech badly or be very long winded and not really get the actual topic. I was also very emotional, always frightened unnecessarily that I'd hurt the feelings of someone because of a reaction I misunderstood. While a strong reader and writer, my mathematics, while initially good for my age, had a noticeable decline. From maybe twelve onwards maths made little sense to me as it became increasingly abstract and akin to reading a language I didn't understand and I failed all but two maths exams in high school... I'm also awful at organization and attention!

I have many friends now, and generally socialise better, but I still have issues. My language is usually over rehearsed and waffly, and I don't always understand when to finish speaking or when it's appropriate to add to the discussion. I have big issues with direction, knowing where to go, and still get obsessions with ideas, films, books and music as vividly and time consuming as when I was a child. I have never really felt as if I totally fit in... I never want to stop discussing and learning about subjects when I'm into them, and don't get why others want a break from it even if they're interested too.

I know that this doesn't equal a diagnosis, but for me it's at least a good start. Some things I have read are uncanny, and one of my best friends was shocked by how similar it sounded.

I was suspected as having dyspraxia for a while because of my coordination and how I seemed to not understand motor skills. I learned how to tie my laces at twelve, after years of effort, and how to read and write at two. I think that helps show the distinction.

I probably won't post that often, but I want to share my experience as reading what others have shared has helped me so much. Thanks!



drut
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2013
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 23

05 Jul 2013, 12:57 pm

Twinpeaks, I share many of your experiences. In elementary school I out read everyone, including a teacher or two. But put a division problem or a fraction in front of me and mind goes blank. I tried telling my teachers and parents that it was like a curtain came down between my eyes and my brain, or that if a brain were like a book, mine was missing the page about math.

I have habits, like a route to someplace and a different route back. Going out of order or a different way makes me feel odd and out of sorts. In high school play diagrams in football made no sense to me, so I played soccer. I couldn't kick with my left foot to save my life, and when we switched sides of the field at quarter breaks I'd feel awkward, almost backwards, if that makes any sense, going to the other side of the field. I can't organize very well, I'm not very social, and I won't get in an elevator if there are more than two or three people in it.

Since being diagnosed six months ago with NVLD, I can understand the multitude of failure over the years, but I don't see much in the way of making things better. Learn new habits? Go to a psychiatrist and a speech therapist who may have never seen anyone as old as me newly diagnosed? To be honest, I've given up. I'm worn out from fighting this thing for 50+ years. I think I'd be happy to be told I had stage four tumor. I'm just tired.



welcometotwinpeaks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 2

05 Jul 2013, 1:54 pm

drut wrote:
, or that if a brain were like a book, mine was missing the page about math.


This sounds a lot like me.

I'm sorry. Everyone is different, and I can't claim to understand your individual experience. But I have mixed feelings about learning all this. A part of me feels happy to have it finally click. Another part is frustrated that with all the times I have seen counsellors and had evaluations I get pointed in the right direction only a year or so after my high school exams suffered. It feels like bad timing.

As a kid I was convinced I wouldn't have friends, and not only did helpful people give me the resources to prove my worries wrong, but I also learnt that the best friends would be the ones that accepted me as I am, even though I was just viewed as quirky then.

I want to value the qualities that I can't change and be able to work on the issues I'm able to. I'm also being advised about speech therapy since mine is so fast and nervous and slurred.

I wish you all the best.