Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2008, 2:00 pm

Funds generated by donation ec should definately be invested in education and support, as opposed to 'THE CURE.'

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 2:18 pm

Yes, cure AIDS!

Acquired
Immuno
Defiency
Syndrome

Also invest all autism pro-cure money into research for:
OCD
Anxiety Disorder
PTSD
Bipolar Disorder
Panic Disorder

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 3:58 pm

I suspect that a cure for AIDS will be very difficult, the HIV virus worms its way into the DNA of the human cells becuase it is a retrovirus and may be it can hide in the hosts DNA. You would need a HIV expert to say how well HIV can hide in this way, my worry is that by the time a person knows that they have HIV it might be too late to expunge the virus from their body.

One problem which Anna has not mentioned is the threat from within, people with AIDS are very prone to some forms of cancer which are not commonly seen in the normal healthy human with a decent immune system. So even if they fail to catch a infection they are at risk of the cancers.

I think that funding on AS should be increased but it should be spent with care, the "cure" sounds like a eugenics nightmare which should be resisted. I am sure that some things can be done to improve the quaility of life for those auties and aspies who are getting the worst deal right now.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 6:07 pm

Forget Aids... they need to sort out Viruses in general.

Cure the common cold and it will give you the insight you need to cure/prevent aids.

Chimchar
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2008, 6:11 pm

There is no cure THere will never be a cure. If there is, it would help to reduce AS symptoms, not change you completely.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 6:12 pm

Hmm... Being a virus IS part of what makes HIV so dangerous.

I hadn't thought about the cancers, but yeah, duh, pretty much. Kaposi's sarcoma is pretty much diagnostic of AIDS.

And AIDS dementia, which isn't an opportunistic infection but happens when your immune system messes with your nervous system.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Last edited by Callista on 03 Dec 2008, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 7:32 pm

I would like to see the US and its allies stop wasting nearly a Billion dollars a day killing people and spend that on research into a whole bunch of abnormalities. There is no need to discriminate funding there is plenty to go around we just have to stop wasting resources.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2008, 7:35 pm

Cure both.

End it all?

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2008, 12:46 pm

CMaximus wrote:
Yeah, probably. It's hard to say what "things" you're talking about would get better, (pretty vague there) but I think I get what you're trying to convey.

The AIDS cure would probably come sooner if more people were working on that. We would be able to save millions of lives with that cure.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 12:53 pm

Only if it were cost-effective. If you could cure AIDS but it cost five million dollars per person, there wouldn't be a lot of people who'd actually get it. There wouldn't be enough resources to go around.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2008, 7:24 pm

Callista wrote:
Only if it were cost-effective. If you could cure AIDS but it cost five million dollars per person, there wouldn't be a lot of people who'd actually get it. There wouldn't be enough resources to go around.

Well at least we'd be able to throw some of the starfish back in the ocean.