Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Signs654
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2008, 12:00 pm

Would things be better if the people focusing on curing AS focused on curing AIDS instead? We really need a cure for AIDS. People are dying from it. No one is dying from AS.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2008, 12:04 pm

I'd sooner all the money that went to the people trying to "cure" AS, went to people trying to get AS recognised and better understood by the broarder community. More help for those who have ASD's and help for adults with Autism and Asperger's, not just "special education" schools for young kids.

That or cure HIV-AIDS.

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2008, 12:06 pm

Yeah, probably. It's hard to say what "things" you're talking about would get better, (pretty vague there) but I think I get what you're trying to convey.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Would things be better if the people focusing on curing AS focused on curing AIDS instead? We really need a cure for AIDS. People are dying from it. No one is dying from AS.

Unless they get murdered for not being perfect.

...sorry, cynical.

But in that case we'd be better off with a cure for prejudice, or else they'd just get murdered for costing their parents cure money.

I agree; if we could focus on AIDS... and at least do some education in the worst hit areas, Africa specifically, about how to prevent it... especially the state of medicine over there; re-using needles and such because they can't even afford disposables, and a culture that makes it easy to have multiple partners, only without nearly the education about protection that we get in the US... There's got to be a way to do something about that even if a cure is fifty years down the road. Of course then there's the complication of the prevalence of things like war and governmental abuses there, which make it even harder, and all the collateral damage to take care of, too--orphans, the loss of productive workers, all the health care costs...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:14 pm

I agree, I also hate all the doctors/scientists trying to see if a baby has a ASD before they're born just so they can be replaced by a NT child and die before they've even been born, although its a good thing in a way that they would have been saved from this horrible world.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:17 pm

That's awfully pessimistic... There are so many wonderful things about this world, even if there are horrible things in it, even if you are part of a minority that gets a lot of bad treatment... I wouldn't choose that for me, and I wouldn't choose it for someone who hadn't really got the chance to live yet.

Autism Memorial:

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:18 pm

DeLoreanDude wrote:
I agree, I also hate all the doctors/scientists trying to see if a baby has a ASD before they're born just so they can be replaced by a NT child and die before they've even been born

Prevent it, to preserve a Neurodiverse World!

EDIT: something from another forum

Quote:
You have to BE the change that you want! I'm at least trying that. Unfortunately, dealing with the society's controls everywhere is well....interesting. Often it might not affect you personally but it is there and it unfortunately messes with people...especially the frings and pariahs in the society.

Note, we have social controls, BS ranks and hierachies, social stigmas and taboos and whatnot EVERYWHERE on Earth. They ALL need to be destroyed. All the fringe groups of the world need to unite to provide a bulwark from the mainstream. I want there to be such a Fringe Alliance to be global, connected via the internet and other methods, etc. Kind've like Indymedia and other things like that. Thankfully other people are doing this. I do think I can do more, but how....those P2P networks help with discussing things, informations, etc.

"Generally" as in they accept the BS reasons that they get beaten. Just as many internalize all the byzantine rules in this society and accept them as true without THINKING of them. Gender Roles, Authority/Subordinate roles, Majority/Minority roles, there's some right there.

Especially given as I said the mainstream is full of s**t. And that applies to all societies, they have all those little rules and methods of informal social control. And I even posted it earlier in this thread.

No, I believe that any minority or fringe group should rise up and form a coalition to balance against the majority or mainstream. I want a multi-polar world and a decentralized society so no one can say you're this and wrong of stupid or xyz for being who you are or something else and attack them for it. With a decentralized society there will be no MAINSTREAM that anyone who is outnumbered is forced to conform to their beliefs, wills, desires. That and making laws against fringe groups and their acts...as you see currently.

Last edited by Warsie on 02 Dec 2008, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:18 pm

This is true. The world needs weirdos just because the more perspectives there are on a problem, the more likely we are to solve it. If some obsessed aspie/autie came up with a vaccine for HIV, you can bet they wouldn't reject it just because the person who invented it was eccentric.

Autism Memorial:

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:19 pm

Warsie wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
I agree, I also hate all the doctors/scientists trying to see if a baby has a ASD before they're born just so they can be replaced by a NT child and die before they've even been born

Prevent it, to preserve a Neurodiverse World!

Yes, more neurodiversity is what we need, along with a whole bunch of stuff thats screwed, dont even get me started on how screwed up society is!

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:24 pm

you can live your whole life carrying HIV virus as long as you take your retro-viral drugs and are careful not to catch an infection.

I'd really, really, really like a cure for ADHD though, one that doesn't make your heart start playing drum'n'bass after some years...

Last edited by anna-banana on 02 Dec 2008, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:25 pm

I think AIDS should be cured first. AS is not a disease and I think it would be better to find a cure from a spreading disease.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:29 pm

anna-banana wrote:
you can live your whole life carrying HIV virus as long as you take your retro-viral drugs and are careful not to catch an infection.
This is VERY hard for immunocompromised people. You cannot stay in an isolation tent your whole life--you have to work, go to school, talk to people... And then there's the fact that your own body's natural "wildlife" can attack you; microorganisms that are supposed to be there multiply out of control or spread where they shouldn't be... Even perfectly healthy people, without HIV, get yeast infections--that's an imbalance just like that. And then if you manage to live to 40, the weakening of the immune system as you get older starts to add to the problem... Not to mention that the drugs themselves cause wear and tear. No... even with the best treatment, HIV still markedly shortens the human lifespan. And may I note that the majority of HIV positive people do not have access to "the best treatment"?

Autism Memorial:

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:37 pm

Callista wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
This is VERY hard for immunocompromised people. You cannot stay in an isolation tent your whole life--you have to work, go to school, talk to people... And then there's the fact that your own body's natural "wildlife" can attack you; microorganisms that are supposed to be there multiply out of control or spread where they shouldn't be... Even perfectly healthy people, without HIV, get yeast infections--that's an imbalance just like that. And then if you manage to live to 40, the weakening of the immune system as you get older starts to add to the problem... Not to mention that the drugs themselves cause wear and tear. No... even with the best treatment, HIV still markedly shortens the human lifespan. And may I note that the majority of HIV positive people do not have access to "the best treatment"?

sure, I agree totally, all I'm saying is that it has been known to happen.

there is a guy who caught HIV in 1981 when it appeared and he's still alive at 60 and in great health (and he lives in Petersburg where it's easier for an infection than for anything else ;p)

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2008, 12:41 pm

I think most people with HIV have a shortened life-span and what we could probably safely call a lowered quality of life, though. AIDS is just bad.

JM2008
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2008, 12:52 pm

AIDS sure needs curing but AS is not something that is a threatening condition although it does effect people in parts of life that maybe lead them to suicide

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2008, 1:00 pm

JM2008 wrote:
AIDS sure needs curing but AS is not something that is a threatening condition although it does effect people in parts of life that maybe lead them to suicide

Are you trying to steer this in another awkward, uncomfortable direction now?