Page 4 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Catwoman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2009, 12:52 am

I still have my Atari 2600 which I got 25 years ago. It still works. And I still have all the games.

However, I prefer playing those games on the PC now whenever possible. With a DVD player, VCR, cable box, and Nintendo Wii all hooked up to the TV, figuring out what settings the Atari runs on can be a bit complicated.

The game I am playing now is Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii for the third time.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 4:23 pm

Catwoman wrote:
With a DVD player, VCR, cable box, and Nintendo Wii all hooked up to the TV, figuring out what settings the Atari runs on can be a bit complicated.

I'd plug it into the VCR.

Hmm...now I kind of feel like dragging mine out today (and/or the Flashback 2)...

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 10:59 am

I have 4 retro gaming consoles: An NES, Famicom, Sega Genesis Model 2, and an Intellivision. I also have some games for all of them, except for the Intellivision, because I need an RF coaxial cable converter.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 10:59 am

I have 4 retro gaming consoles: An NES, Famicom, Sega Genesis Model 2, and an Intellivision. I also have some games for all of them, except for the Intellivision, because I need an RF coaxial cable converter.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 11:36 am

I wish i still had my C64. I used to love playing games on it despite the ridiculously long loading times.

LOAD"*",8,1 has become my life motto :wink:

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 11:57 pm

Kinda. I love older games but I feel like I've played most of the ones I'd be interested in. I play a lot of single player games but I rarely replay them. There's only a few that I go back to once I've finished them. Mostly multiplayer games since they have a bit of replayability, like Super Puyo Puyo 2 for the Super Nintendo or Advance Wars for the Gameboy Advance. Various incarnations of Mario Kart are also good to go back to, as well as side scrollers like Contra, Gunstar Heroes or Metal Slug. Most of these are playable with netplay, except for Advance Wars which is ideal hotseat as long as someone has it on their phone (You could theoretically play it netplay with NVIDIA Gamestream Co-op, but I haven't tried it).

I have a palmtop computer specifically for emulating these older systems, which works for everything except Nintendo DS since emulation isn't great on x86. For NDS I use my phone, which works well with mine since it's a Galaxy Note 4 and has a inbuilt stylus.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 9:54 am

Original PlayStation. 'Nuff said.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 1:43 pm

I only bother with games from about the 1994-2007 period. Does that make me a retrogamer?

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 12:07 pm

I enjoy retro gaming. Lately I've been playing Kirby 64 on my N64 among the other games I've been playing new and old.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

nineinchnailsfan93
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2017, 2:33 pm

I am! My favorite game series as far as the retro genre if not ever is classic doom. I first started playing the original trilogy (the ultamate doom, doom 2, and final doom) on pc when i was just 9 years old, and i still play it to this day.

Victor1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jul 2017, 7:38 pm

DragonKazooie89 wrote:
I've been getting quite interested in the games I have missed out while growing up since I was still young. I have Super Mario Bros. 3, Ocarina of Time and Super Mario RPG at the moment. Right now I'm STILL waiting for Nintendo to release EarthBound on the Virtual Console.

This is it, I never had a SNES, and now you can have every game on your android phone for free. Earthbound is the best hands down, I prefer it to anything I have on my modern consoles. Also the ps one and n64, all this is on my phone. Its a pretty special thing to be able to just download and play all the ones I remember.

HyperX
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jul 2017, 2:43 pm

Original Mech Warrior series would be my favorite.
But i also like Aces of the Deep, Aces of the Pacific, beneath a steel sky, the original doom series... there's just so many

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 7:31 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I have a palmtop computer specifically for emulating these older systems....

Which one?

I have an Asus Eee 701, it works pretty well, but I feel like there must be something tinier out there...

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 8:26 pm

Me here very much!! !

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 11:01 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Which one?

I have an Asus Eee 701, it works pretty well, but I feel like there must be something tinier out there...

It's a GPD Win, a product that was the result of an Indiegogo campaign. It runs with an Intel Z8750 CPU and 4GB DDR3 RAM, and has an integrated gamepad which can function as an Xinput or DirectInput device, or as the mouse. It's about the same size as a Nintendo 3DS XL. I like to use it for emulation and low spec Steam games, and for those purposes it works really well. I take it to work on night shifts in my pocket and use it to play games on break. When I get home I can continue playing those games on my desktop using Steam Cloud saves and symbolic links to OneDrive. I have mine pictured below, next to my desktop mouse and keyboard.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2017, 2:01 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
It's a GPD Win, a product that was the result of an Indiegogo campaign.

Oh yeah, I was looking at those. I would love something like that, but cheaper; I wouldn't need a lot of features like touch screen or Internet (although Steam might be tempting). And 1280x720 is an awkward resolution for older games...you could run old low-res DOS games at 3x with a little windowboxing, but SVGA type games at 640x480 would be stuck at 1x with almost half the screen empty.

But I guess that would be a really niche product, most people probably just play 3D games on it. I just get a little Aspie over things like that sometimes =|

My Asus is 800x480, you have to hack it a little to get 640x480 mode in most games to work right, but it works pretty well once you figure it out. The Intel drivers also support 800x600, but it'll be in either scroll mode (when the mouse hits the edge of the screen) or squished mode, so it's not super great, but I use it for certain applications like SoulSeek.

But I can't hold it in my hands like a DS (at least not very easily), and I'm not too keen on bringing it to work. There's a DOS emulator on the DS that works really well, and has some great looking scaling algorithms, but it seems like when there's a game I really want to play on it, it isn't supported >_< The other day it was Pool of Radiance =) And having a physical keyboard would be nice, so I don't have to poke around with a stylus and hope I don't tap the wrong key.