Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 10:04 pm

Like the NES, Sega Genesis, etc.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 10:38 pm

...and now every ancient geek is going to trot out what really old games are...;)

Just finished another level of Duke Nukem 3d...again...;)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 10:54 pm

One of the best things about the Wii Virtual Console is to play retro games you missed the first time around. They look better than before since the Wii runs them in 480p especially on a good CRT-HDTV.

I am currently playing through "Secret of Mana" for the first time.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2008, 10:59 pm

Venger wrote:
One of the best things about the Wii Virtual Console is to play retro games you missed the first time around.

Yep, it's pretty sweet. I was just a wee tot when I had my Genesis and NES, as the N64 came out when I was about 7 or 8.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 11:59 pm

Street Fighter II FTW

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 12:11 am

I still love those cute Sierra games like King's Quest 1-8, Space Quest 1-6?, Leisure Suit Larry 1-6 (minus 4), Phantasmagoria 1 and 2 etc...

Also... Ultima 1-8 were pretty good too.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Dec 2008, 12:28 am

gbollard wrote:
I still love those cute Sierra games like King's Quest 1-8, Space Quest 1-6?, Leisure Suit Larry 1-6 (minus 4), Phantasmagoria 1 and 2 etc...

Also... Ultima 1-8 were pretty good too.

Phantasmagoria is cute? 0_0 Phantasmagoria 2's interesting because the protagonist is a bisexual male, and I believe he's the only bisexual male protagonist in gaming history. (unless you count The Sims, but that has no protagonist so that doesn't really count)

Thatmew
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 12:39 am

Yes, I am a retrogamer, and until I get the Wii, the USB Wi-Fi adapter, and some cash flow, I think I will be limited to my emulation selection.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:11 am

I started on the 2600 and arcade games at Ceasarland. I've been playing video games since before I talked. I was immediately captivated by the medium, by how different it was from television where you had absolutely no control over what was happening on the screen. I still like playing a lot of these games I grew up with.

Quote:
One of the best things about the Wii Virtual Console is to play retro games you missed the first time around. They look better than before since the Wii runs them in 480p especially on a good CRT-HDTV.

And the Wii Remote makes for a very smooth and comfortable NES controller, doesn't it?

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:30 am

Ah_Q wrote:
I started on the 2600 and arcade games at Ceasarland. I've been playing video games since before I talked. I was immediately captivated by the medium, by how different it was from television where you had absolutely no control over what was happening on the screen. I still like playing a lot of these games I grew up with.

Quote:

And the Wii Remote makes for a very smooth and comfortable NES controller, doesn't it?

I played Atari, and also made my own games on the Atari 800.

480p is not HDTV in my opinion since it is slightly less pixels than an analog TV.
(or very close to exactly the same.)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 7:33 am

480p is actually EDTV which is twice the resolution of 480i (SDTV).

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 8:15 am

Ah_Q wrote:

Quote:

I <3 the classic controller

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 1:05 pm

Am I into retro? I was playing Might and Magic 1 for PC last night :oops:

Venger wrote:
They look better than before since the Wii runs them in 480p especially on a good CRT-HDTV.

I beg to differ :oops: I'm really not a fan of the whole bilinear filtered look at all.

However I think it's really awesome that Wii/Cube can run NES/SNES at its native 256x240 or whatever resolution it is, so on an analogue TV, you get those nice scanlines, just like on the real thing =)

Now they just need a wired Classic Controller, or better yet, a wired Sega Saturn pad (preferably for the Gamecube ports) and I would be set =D There's a Neo Geo stick that came out in Japan not too long ago, but it's only got three buttons =/

Hmm, I think I read something about some of the homebrew emulators accepting USB gamepads...I should check into that...

Ah_Q wrote:
I started on the 2600...I've been playing video games since before I talked.

Same thing here, I can't remember a time before 2600...mom says I was 18 months when I first started playing :oops:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 1:06 pm

<-- AD&D 1st and 2nd editions and Marc Miller's Traveller.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Dec 2008, 5:35 am

is minesweeper retro?

The former things have passed away."

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 10:51 am

Anyone play Pong? I don't, I just want to know if anyone else does.